Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Recently got new leaf 14 reg.. Just wondering what you's think is the best mode to drive on for increase in range?? It has B mode and i have recently tried it but truthfully havent seen a great difference! If you have any suggestions that would be great

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Truthfully, in 8000+ miles, I find the best mode is simply D, non-Eco. Although you get more regen in B, it slows you down too fast so it's difficult to coast to a stop. In addition, D still gives plenty of regen when yuo use the brake pedal, you just get it for a shorter amount of time.
Eco might make a tiny difference in some circumstances as it increases regen a little and numbs the throttle response as well as reducing power to the heater/aircon, but the downside is that it feels sluggish so you spend more time accelerating which is probably counter-productive.

It does depend on the journey, though. If you're just in town, Eco or B might be better; on the motorway the best way to save energy is to drive a little slower! My commute is cross-country, mainly A roads, so I get some regen between spells travelling at 50-60.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Truthfully, in 8000+ miles, I find the best mode is simply D, non-Eco. Although you get more regen in B, it slows you down too fast so it's difficult to coast to a stop. In addition, D still gives plenty of regen when yuo use the brake pedal, you just get it for a shorter amount of time.
Eco might make a tiny difference in some circumstances as it increases regen a little and numbs the throttle response as well as reducing power to the heater/aircon, but the downside is that it feels sluggish so you spend more time accelerating which is probably counter-productive.

It does depend on the journey, though. If you're just in town, Eco or B might be better; on the motorway the best way to save energy is to drive a little slower! My commute is cross-country, mainly A roads, so I get some regen between spells travelling at 50-60.

Thanks.. Yeah i found B mode brought your speed down very very quick! But it did help with the regen but not too much!! I think i will try just D mode for a while and see how it goes! I usually just do eco but you dont get the same drive

·
Super Moderator
7,454 Posts
In the city, B mode will increase range. In the dead of winter when it's super cold or the height of summer when you have the AC on full power then eco will help a little, but not loads.

On the open road the only thing you can do to improve range is slow down, buy a Tesla, or add a boat tail....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the city, B mode will increase range. In the dead of winter when it's super cold or the height of summer when you have the AC on full power then eco will help a little, but not loads.

On the open road the only thing you can do to improve range is slow down, buy a Tesla, or add a boat tail....

Thanks :) If i had the funds a tesla would be bought. But unfortunately its unafordable ha

·
Registered
226 Posts
We tend to leave ours in B-Eco all the time for the city driving in Edinburgh, or use D-Eco for the bypass.

Personally, I'll flick to B from D while coming off any slip road or otherwise slowing down, and pop it out of Eco when needs be for punching out of junctions. So far I'm getting +90 miles range per charge.

I've seen as little as 70 miles though in D without Eco, but that was at a steady 70mph using cruise control, which isn't efficient at all!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Regularly switch between D and B while driving now and once in a blue moon use Eco mode.

I wish there was a mode with even less brake regen and more free wheeling at times. Sometimes you just want to let it roll and roll and without popping in to Neutral (hot topic) that's just not possible.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys gonna do a bit of experimenting over the next few charges and see how i get on! I will keep you all posted.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Regularly switch between D and B while driving now and once in a blue moon use Eco mode.

I wish there was a mode with even less brake regen and more free wheeling at times. Sometimes you just want to let it roll and roll and without popping in to Neutral (hot topic) that's just not possible.
Snap! I've reached the same conclusion in the LEAF and having used B0 mode on the Outlander paddles extensively which provides virtual freewheel feel is a sublime touch that massively increases my range in that beast. (I think B0 actually pushes ever so slightly, maybe just the creep auto drive or it actually is a laden weight of 2000kg rolling down a slight hill! :p)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've only had my leaf about a month and most of the time i have it on b with eco, especially on my daily commute. Regular as clockwork its using 18% for a 16 mile commute. Today i kept it on b mode with no eco and arrived home having used only 14% . Amazing really.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
It depends on your driving style and route, but I just find Eco limits me too much and takes away control. B mode I tend to use if generally driving non-economically to serve as a little bit more "engine braking" around Milton Keynes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys,

Recently got new leaf 14 reg.. Just wondering what you's think is the best mode to drive on for increase in range?? It has B mode and i have recently tried it but truthfully havent seen a great difference! If you have any suggestions that would be great
I've been an owner of a Nissan Leaf for 4 years now. Nissan say you will get 122 miles out of your car I Eco mode and b mode. Let me tell you, that's a load of rubbish. In the summer months a driving range of 50 mile radius, you will only get either 90 or 100 out of you car, in Eco mode mabe 105 or 109. Nissan Leaf in hot climits, at 30 cent then yes, you would get 120 out of your car. But not in the UK. Winter time 75 to 85. Don't get me wrong, I have had 3 Nissan leafs, and I'm on my third one. Brilliant cars. It suits me down to the ground. But 122 miles, Rubish. What we do need is more modules on the car taking it up to 150 miles, and Eco mode 170.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts