Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’ve decided to upgrade to an Ioniq 28 from a Leaf 24. Very much looking forward to it!

I’m hoping to get a Premium SE over the premium, but mostly because of the Lane Keep Assist.

1- could someone clarify that the two versions have different drivers assist features

2- how good is the system combined with ACC? I’m hoping it will make motorway driving more relaxed, and do some of the steering for me; certainly in straight sections.

thanks!

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,070 Posts
As far as I know both trims have LKA fitted. However, I think that you will be disappointed if you expect it to make driving more relaxed. This early version ping pongs from left to right lane markers so that you go along in a long lazy S route which confuses any follower. And is also annoying as it beeps unless you are constantly gripping the wheel in a fashion that it demands. Any relaxing that you envisage can be forgotten as you are always trying to avoid the beeps.

However, the adaptive cruise is absolutely brilliant. The trick is to set the speed at GPS 70 and let it do its thing. Then just monitor the situation because it can easily sit behind a car doing 58 mph for miles when you could overtake and make faster progress. It is also very relaxing in slower traffic that is stop/start as long as it keeps moving and you just sit and steer. But forget LKA as a buying need because after a few trials you will leave it switched off. Other than that the classic Ioniq is a great car in many ways and you will enjoy all of its other features.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,070 Posts
This is a good vid testing LKA and ACC in an Ioniq 28 that shows the limitations and aggravation levels that can be induced by LKA. Trust me you won't relax using it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
LKA Lane Keep Assist
LFA Lane Follow Assist

It seems that people do not really know their functions, not only this forum but reviewers also, they do what their title suggests.

LFA engages when the ACC is set it will use the lane markings to keep the car in the centre of the lane and will even steer the car around gradual curves on motorways and dual carriageways. I wouldn't recommend using ACC on single carriageway A or B roads between towns with sharp bends because it is designed to get up to the set speed when there is not a car in front of you. So if the car in front disappears around a left bend it will speed up when you should be slowing for the bend.
Using it for Start stop traffic in towns is OK because it is designed to stop for you.
This does make a more relaxing drive but hands are still required on the steering wheel.

LKA can be either set to nudge the steering to bring the car back into the lane or to just warn you that you are about to cross the line. It can be turned off but in the latest cars this switch has been removed and is on the whole time.
LKA is not designed to keep you in the centre of the lane it is a safety feature to prevent accidents due to a lack of concentration. You are meant to be driving the car hence keeping it the lane and if you are concentrating it will not alarm. Therefore if you just let the car do its thing on LKA it will try to prevent you from crossing the line and steer you back, then you hit the line on the other side and so on, the ping pong effect.

I find mine only alarms on narrower country lanes when you tend to move out from the verge a bit when nothing is coming or avoiding pot holes and puddles. If you think it does the driving for you it will alarm a lot more so people turn it off.
Turning it off means you are doing the driving that you should have been doing when it was on, only by turning it off you have now disabled a safety feature that may have saved yours or someone else's life at a time when you were inattentive or distracted.

There are some of you out there who are advanced drivers and through their training may regularly cross the lane markings to take a direct line, I find it you know that it is going to alarm and try to steer you are probably not bothered by it because it is expected and if changing lane always signal because LKA and LFA are cancelled for a few seconds whilst you perform the manoeuvre.

So please don't rubbish LKA it is a safety feature

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Thanks! So the premium has ACC as well?
My 38 Premium has ACC. I like it.
Lane following stuff is a pain imho, tugs at the wheel just as you're squeezing onto he verge to avoid oncoming in narrow lanes. Dangerous in that situation imho, risking a smashed mirror or worse.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
The mistake most people make with the Ioniq is not changing the LKAS setting.

You need to activate ACTIVE LKAS in the menu, which is what newer models label as LFA, and is shown in this YouTube video:

This is available on ALL Ioniq models IIRC. It is certainly available on Premium SE.

With Standard LKAS selected in the menu, the car will ping pong as that’s just lane departure prevention.

The ACC is not great on the older models - it doesn’t use the vision system, so won’t catch cut ins and is slow to react to merge outs. I don’t know if they’ve revised it since to bring it in line with the Kona system.

Source: I owned a 2017 Ioniq Hybrid Premium SE.

@GMat explanation holds true for cars made in the last couple of years, but before that the terms were a bit fuzzier - hence my explanation above.

Also @Zaphodzissou - be aware that Active LKAS DOES NOT HAVE A DISENGAGE SOUND on the older Ioniq. If it loses sight of the lines, the first thing you will know about it is the car starts going straight on halfway through a curve. So you have to watch the LKAS light always! Again, newer cars tend to have a disengage sound (but test it before purchase).

Reactions: Zlatan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m starting to get a much clearer picture of the car now, thank you all. I think I’ll still try to get an SE... I suspect I’ll always be pining for one otherwise 😆

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,070 Posts
I find Lane Departure just annoying so don't engage it. As has been mentioned there are many occasions when I deliberately move over the centre lane slightly such as when approaching a left-hand bend and visibility around that corner is restricted. This is from my motorcycle days when advance notice of vehicles coming the other way was essential and opening up the sightlines that way was helpful. Being beeped at when I am in full control is annoying. So off it goes.

The Lane Assist feature inside the Adaptive Cruise is also pretty much rubbish by drifting side to side so I always steer myself if ACC is engaged and don't let it play its amateur game. That also avoids being nagged by the 'hold the wheel' beeps as I am always holding there. After all, that's what I've done for many years so it's no hardship. Steering is one area where I don't need assistance thanks. The rest of ACC is great and can be very relaxing.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I’m starting to get a much clearer picture of the car now, thank you all. I think I’ll still try to get an SE... I suspect I’ll always be pining for one otherwise 😆
In my opinion well worth to get SE.
The price difference isn't huge but the additional extras are nice to have.
Forgot to mention in my first post: SE also comes with front parking sensors.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,070 Posts
Does the classic Premium 28 come with heated seats and steering wheel because I have found both to be game changers in winter in my SE.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,070 Posts
These are very well specced cars and hard to beat using any of the normal use measures including driver aids, comfort, and economy. I will have a hard time deciding what to replace it with when its time to move on.

·
Life's too short to wait for a Kona .....
120 Posts
Does the classic Premium 28 come with heated seats and steering wheel because I have found both to be game changers in winter in my SE.
Yes mine does......lovely in this weather!

·
Registered
257 Posts
These are very well specced cars and hard to beat using any of the normal use measures including driver aids, comfort, and economy. I will have a hard time deciding what to replace it with when its time to move on.
Indeed. They only really missed 3 important things which is Heated side mirrors, charging flap open button on the key fob, pre conditioning without the need to plug in and 5 less important things like Heated windscreen, automatic boot, panoramic roof, 360° camera view and app functionality.
Otherwise it would have been perfect.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Lutek 1000 are you sure your mirrors don't heat when you switch on your heated rear screen. Could do with a separate switch though because sometimes the mirrors need to be cleared when the rear screen does not need to be heated. Yes for charging flap button on fob.
38kwh Preconditions without being plugged in through an app.
One niggle I have is that when you open the charging flap the light Comes on, but when unlock to remove the charging cable there is no light so you can put the covers back in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts