Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Is anybody else experiencing inconsistency with the driver assistance features. We've encountered a few issues during our first 2 weeks of ownership:
  • Emergency braking has activated on a number of occasions where there is no obvious obstacle/trigger
  • On two occasions the vehicle has auto steered around a non obvious obstacle/trigger (it was not lane keeping triggering it was an all out hard break and swerve)
  • Cruise control often (but not always) steps up from 29mph to 35mph. At any other speed (inc 39, 49, 59 etc)it will go to the nearest 5 mph (as you would expect per the manual)
  • The Speed Limit Sign indicator occasionally disappears (after reading and identifying a sign it will usually display and update the speed as expected. But when it disappears I need to turn the car off and on again before it will display again).
  • Information Centre does not behave consistently when setting the cruise control. I prefer to drive with the Trip Computer displayed as I like the digital speedo. When I set (or reset) the cruise control with the end (set) button
    • Sometimes it briefly shows "ACC set" and the speed then reverts to the Trip Computer Display
    • Sometimes it switches to the "Active Safety Screen" and stays there until manually changed
    • Sometimes it stays on the Trip Computer display and the only confirmation of setting is that the speed assist indicator goes green
  • Randomly (and with no driver input) the ACC will disengage
Arguably the latter four points are, at best, an irritation but the first two points seriously worry me. What should be a valuable driver support system is causing anxiety and risk by triggering inappropriately.

I have found the vehicle much more predictable to drive with MG pilot turned off, but it reactivates every time you turn off the ignition.

Is this just my car (and therefore fixable) or are other drivers experiencing this? If the latter I am afraid that I will have to part ways with this car.

NB - Dealer is looking at this at the moment, but they are very much giving the impression that they believe that it is operator error (patronizing gits, it is not!).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are some very helpful videos from Mike Proctor which should help some of your concerns - for example this one
Thanks - Just finished watching a couple of his videos. Very useful in terms of properly understanding what the systems are intended to do (more insightful that the user manual). Although I still believe that the issues I am experiencing are out of character.

Will definitely be keeping LDW off. Probably LKA too.

Will give the car a thorough workout when I get it back and see if I can get some of the oddities on camera.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,622 Posts
MG pilot turned off, but it reactivates every time you turn off the ignition.
This seems wrong. MGPilot should only come on when you ask for it by pulling the ACC lever towards you twice. I have a feeling that is Lane Assist that is giving you problems as this will be active at start-up unless you permanently disable it in the car settings. IMO it's a PITB.

Have you had the updates done? Some of them cure things like this. The screen does bounce back and forwards between the speedo and ACC/MGPilot sections in use. This can be quite annoying and really is something else for MG to fix.

I think your not alone with the safety behaviour of the MG. Only today did the brakes come on as we were passing a pedestrian refuge (in town) that was in a wiggle in the road so that it was momentarily straight in front of us (ACC and MGPilot were not on a that time).

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think MGPilot is the whole system so would naturally default to on to ensure other sub-functions can be selected or de-selected as you wish.

I have had a few unexpected braking incidents in 11 months, with only two causing surprise in the first few weeks of ownership. On reflection these have all been warranted. For example a pedestrian stepped out from between some parked cars and the car stopped. Agree when there is an unusual twist in the road, the radar can pick up an object or an oncoming car and apply the brakes. I have travelled a lot on single track roads with passing places and that is a great environment to see this automatic braking in action when passing an oncoming car! Passing places that are immediately before cattle grids cause even more braking as you are effectively moving towards a gate post while the on-coming car passes. I turn down the sensitivity on such roads.

With ACC on I also notice that if there are cars parked at the side of the road and you need to slow down to allow on-coming traffic, braking can kick in quite strongly. By quickly applying pressure to the accelerator pedal, the braking is cancelled. I only use ACC on dual carriageways or motorways.

Similarly the radar can pick up cars as they take a side exit lane and you pass quite close to their rear though you are in no danger of collision. Solution here I have found is to ease off momentarily on the accelerator as you are closest point to the car and this prevents any braking kicking in. You get a feel for this with use of the car.

There is an element of operator error as noted above because if I change the way I deal with the above I can instigate or prevent the braking action. I agree that its a bit patronising that the dealer should mention that as you probably know more about the car's driving behaviour and systems than the dealer does.

As for the random displays and display changes I have not come across this on my ZS EV. You will enjoy your car more and more. It does take a few weeks to really get the hang of it! Its just a different driving experience.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,622 Posts
I think MGPilot is the whole system so would naturally default to on to ensure other sub-functions can be selected or de-selected as you wish.
You're confusing MGPilot with the built-in safety features. MGPilot only activates when you double pull the ACC lever towards you and then takes over controlling the speed and direction of the car. The braking and such that happens as you are going along are part of the safety features that MGPilot then adds to when taking control of the car.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
ACC & MG Pilot only able to be activated when the ACC lever is one click towards you. Push it all the way forwards to turn both off.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Similarly the radar can pick up cars as they take a side exit lane and you pass quite close to their rear though you are in no danger of collision. Solution here I have found is to ease off momentarily on the accelerator as you are closest point to the car and this prevents any braking kicking in.
I have adopted this stance when approaching almost hidden side junctions, after having my car almost making an emergency stop by applying the brakes really hard on a trip in the spring time.
We where travelling through a 30 Mph little country village in Cheshire that was over seen by a speed camera.
Then all of a sudden, from a country side road flanked by high hedges, or old friend "White Van Man" on a life or death parcel delivery, hit the STOP lines at great speed.
The front of the van was clearly well over the white lines when he actually stopped.
I spotted what could have been serious problem and headed for the foot brake.
But then realised it was just his aggressive driving style at work here and reframed from applying the brakes.
However, the car had a different idea and slammed on the brakes a spit second later !.
How the car travelling behind never rear ended our car, I have NO idea.
It gave us quite a shock I have to say.
Now, I apply real caution when approaching "T" junctions and when cars are slowing down in front in order to make a turn.
It was not an issue with the "Pro Pilot" because it has never been used.
It is nice to know that my reactions as a OAP are still faster than the modern day tech in cars today though ! ;) .

·
Registered
328 Posts
Your are right Neilew. I maybe confused it with the other safety features by trying to address other points the OP raised. I understand that the settings under the MG Pilot setup screen can be changed and that MG Pilot only refers to the functions activated by pulling the lower stalk towards you. Sorry for the confusion!

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,622 Posts
Sorry for the confusion!
Don't be sorry. We all make assumptions and extrapolate as we go along. I'm a massive offender.

You can change the settings under the car 'button' on the infotainment screen. I found turning off 'Lane Assist' the best move.

·
Registered
328 Posts
When I first got the car I turned everything on and it was all too much! So I switched everything off, obviously other than those features that default to on each time. I tried each setting individually and eventually settled on what I was comfortable with.

I agree, 'Lane Assist' off is the better setting, then I only use MG Pilot on dual carriageways and motorways. I am now very happy and comfortable with how the car is set up and enjoying every trip! 😀

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,622 Posts
I am now very happy and comfortable with how the car is set up and enjoying every trip!
Yeah, having gone through 2 Zoes and never being fully comfortable with either, I find the MG a really comfortable and appealing ride. I think this one may last more than the usual 2 years this time.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I found turning off 'Lane Assist' the best move.
I only have the "Lane Assist" turned off on my car.
Managed to keep it activated for about two weeks and was disabling it with the left hand column stork.
Soon got feed up with that though, so I turned off the feature in the head unit.
It has been off ever since !.
The car is booked in for the comfort update on Monday (19.10.20).
My local dealer ( about 8 miles away ) is charging £69 for the privilege of carrying out the work.
The dealer I originally purchased the car from is a 120 mile round trip and under current ( but soon to be ramped up on Monday ) Welsh restrictions, is totally out of the question.
As we are all aware, pre update owners, the constant and totally unnecessary and irritating "Bonging" does start to wear you down after a while.
If you are doing a long journey ( what the hell is that by the way ) THEN you can just about put up with the racket every so often.
But if you are doing more stop / start local trips, then when the car reboots, it goes through the same hideous routine.
The one that really bugs me is that absolutely STUPID - "Three Pap's" of the horn.
We will both be glad to get shut of that thing !.
The first service is due in the first week of Jan 2021 and I intended to wait until then. However, I am sorry to report that it has beaten me into submission I am afraid.
Totally feed up with people jumping out of our skin, when the stupid thing goes off.
It is a total embarrassment when passengers leave the car first and then I have to watch them jump as the bloody thing scares them to death !.
They all ask the same question after it has happened :-
"Is that your car, why DOES it do that ?".
I am sure they think it is me doing it and I am SO done with making excuses for the car carrying out this ridiculous type of behaviour anymore !.
When I explained to my wife that this could be cured under a software update, she said :- "Fantastic, get it done".
Until I told her we had to pay for this update, then she almost popped a fuse.
The service advisor said that time varies from car to car for this update.
Some only take about one hour, but one ZS EV had taken nearly three hours to complete.
Maybe the earlier cars require more updating than the newer models I guess ?.
Who knows, wish me luck !.
Hopefully I will report back on Monday evening LESS the bloody "Three Pap's".
The other features of the upgrade will be gladly received of course.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The peace in your life will return on Monday Carty! Its like a new car, very Zen! 🙏

Reactions: Carty and Neilew

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
The peace in your life will return on Monday Carty! Its like a new car, very Zen! 🙏
Yeah thanks @RicM .
I do find the car to be very comfortable and relaxing to drive, the inside of the cabin warms up very quickly and gets it nice and toasty.
Nothing worse than a poorly performing heater in a car !.
Set the control on three red blobs and the same on the blower motor speed and you are literally cooking in NO time.
Then when the cabin has reached number TEN on the "Toasty Scale" - then reduce the heat back to two red blobs and the same on the blower motor.
Okay the suspension maybe a little on the soft side for some folks, I agreed - but it does have the advantage of making a smooth ( but slightly soft ) handling / ride.
Yeah - You can feel that the car could get a little out of shape if pushed REALLY hard through tight back roads and country lanes, but to be fair it's not that type of car really ?.
The factory setup ( although soft ) is nice for just "Wafting Along" - very Zen 🙏 like indeed Ric.
My wife is pretty much certain to fall asleep on almost every trip !.
Not a good idea if you are driving :eek: ( only joking ! )
When she takes a sleep, this adds to the "Zen" feeling because the space is extremely silent when this happens :censored:🤫 💤💤💤:ROFLMAO:.
Looks extremely like Wales is heading for a full 17 day lock down from next Friday 23rd October.
No more "Zen" trips for a whole 17 days !.
How the hell will I get through 17 Days without my daily "EV Fix".
It will like going into one of them rehab places !!!!!!!!!!!!.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Quick update on the Comfort 2 story.
The car was dropped off at the local dealer at 8.45am this morning.
They called just after 1.00pm to say the car was ready for collection.
Not sure how long it actually spent in the workshop though.
Due to restrictions, I was only able to take the car for a short drive.
It is much more friendly on the ears when it boots up now, just the one softer chime and your ready to go.
Strange seeing the outside temp being displayed in the info unit and the range being constantly displayed in the dash panel !.
Strangely, I found myself looking at it more offered now ?.
I am sure this will quickly pass.
I have become accustomed to pulling the toggle switch back to check the range for the last 8 months.
On a section of local dual carriageway close to home, when passing one particular slip road, the speed limit change warning would bong loudly ever single time we passed it.
It was that bad, my wife would say ( as we approached it ) - "Look out, wait for the annoying bongs ".
Well, I passed it today and although it detected the speed limit change, it only displayed the yellow warning sign in the dash, but no bongs - result there then !.
Have not had chance to check on the stupid situation regarding the "Three Pap's" yet.
A MASSIVE pet hate of mine that one !.
The dealer said they had conducted a number of Comfort 2 updates now.
I handed over 69 of the finest pound coins of the queens realm and left.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts