Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Driver door unlock

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Kansalis 
#1 ·
In release 2023.12 it says "if selected, when the key is detected, only the driver door and the charging socket will be unlocked"

I tried it out but the charging socket remains firmly locked until I specifically unlock it via the car control panel or the app.

Does anyone know how this feature is supposed to work?

I would quite like the charging socket to unlock when the car is unlocked, which is what my i3 does. I never sit in the car while charging so there is no need to keep the socket locked while the car is unlocked.

#2 ·
I think you would still need to unlock the car by opening the driver's door first, the charge port should then open when you press it but the other doors will remain locked. Pretty pointless with RHD I think. I don't think the car detects the port being pressed with a key in proximity without the car already having been unlocked.

#3 ·
Thanks Spike. What I really wanted is for the charging plug to be unlocked when the car is unlocked. I don't have a Tesla charger (I have a Zappi) so there is no button on top of the plug to press to release. Instead, I have to clamber into the car and press unlock on the screen, then clamber out again to pull out the plug before driving away.

My i3 just unlocks the plug when the car is unlocked. I was hoping Tesla would now work the same but apparently not!

#4 ·
What I really wanted is for the charging plug to be unlocked when the car is unlocked. I don't have a Tesla charger (I have a Zappi) so there is no button on top of the plug to press to release. Instead, I have to clamber into the car and press unlock on the screen, then clamber out again to pull out the plug before driving away.
Yes, agreed, it is a bit annoying. My MG used to unlock the charging port with the doors too. For the Tesla, the other options are to use the app on your phone, or you can get a ‘keyfob’ (shaped like a toycar - very cool!) which has a button you can press to unlock the charge port.

#7 ·
Thanks all. Looks like no elegant solution. Would be a nice option in a future release -- unlock port when unlocking car Yes/No if anyone from Tesla reads these threads.
Using the app seems to be the best although it takes an age (seemingly) to connect when you are in the morning rush and keen to get moving!

#8 ·
Using the app seems to be the best although it takes an age (seemingly) to connect when you are in the morning rush and keen to get moving!
I've got into the habit of launching the app to wake the car up just before I put my shoes on to go out. Just launching the app & locking your phone is enough to wake it, then you won't have the few seconds wait sometimes when getting in. I like to turn on the climate control a few minutes before I go out anyway, for some fresh air in the car & to normalise the temperature up or down a bit. If the feature's there, why not use it...

Reactions: gnomen
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.