Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Oohh. Different ones at 90 degrees. Which are the culprits? Max (the boy cat 🐈) still thinks that you have a mouse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
An English person on a site like this recommended a specific wedge to place on the front seat to offset the downward slope of the front seat. I cannot find the recommendation now. Any advice? I feel victiminzed by Nissan. I had to go to the doctor to get a steriod shot to eliminate the bursitis caused by the seat.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
841 Posts
I'm struggling to orientate that pic John, but thanks for trying.
That’s under the side of my seat, the tekna seats are really well attached and don’t come up as much as yours, now I know your was not a tekna I can understand the difference

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
That’s under the side of my seat, the tekna seats are really well attached and don’t come up as much as yours, now I know your was not a tekna I can understand the difference
Interesting. I'll check mine tomorrow. But presumably there's no foam near there to rub?

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
841 Posts
No and I had my seats forward as @Scorzon to fit my seat covers and no foam on the floor, I think they must have different seat designs, I wonder if the Accenta has seat heating, maybe that's it.

My seats are very firm tho, BUT also pretty uncomfortable, I was shocked when I first drove it how much the top spec Leaf had really uncomfortable seats, like they are not anatomically designed at all.

·
Registered
2017 Flame Red Leaf 30 Acenta
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
No and I had my seats forward as @Scorzon to fit my seat covers and no foam on the floor, I think they must have different seat designs, I wonder if the Accenta has seat heating, maybe that's it.

My seats are very firm tho, BUT also pretty uncomfortable, I was shocked when I first drove it how much the top spec Leaf had really uncomfortable seats, like they are not anatomically designed at all.
No heating on mine, I positively hate seat heating and I'm not a tremendous fan of leather either which is why I focussed on Acenta.

Of course, your leather tekna seats will be different. Any other Acenta folk got pics?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Nice thread.

I'm 6 foot, and 1.5 weeks in I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that the drivers seat in the 30kWh Leaf Tekna just isn't very comfortable for me and I'm going to have to try to work around it somehow. :(

Not nearly as bad as the seat in my old Peugeot Ion (which had the worst seats of any car I've ever been in bar none) but nowhere near as comfy as the fully adjustable electric leather seats in my old Xantia which are super comfortable and extremely adjustable.

After studying the seat and trying every possible adjustment I've come to the conclusion that it's just poorly designed from an ergonomic stand point and there are multiple contributing factors.

1) The base/squab doesn't tilt back (raise at the front) enough for me, which puts most of my body weight on the bones of the buttocks and tailbone instead of spreading the load on the thighs as well. (Insufficient thigh support) To be fair I have this complaint with nearly every modern car which doesn't have a base tilt adjustment, which is why I'm reluctant to buy cars which don't have this adjustment.

The Ion was even worse with zero tilt (seat base pretty much parallel to the floor) while my Xantia has a large range of adjustment of the base tilt. In the case of the Ion the hard seat and flat angle was even causing bruising of my tailbone unless I used an extra cushion. (!)

2) The side bolsters on the base are really uncomfortable. They're too close together - especially at the back where they taper together, they're too hard, and they're too vertical and stick up too high. Bolsters should be a more gradual angle like 45 degrees and considerably softer. (As they are in my Xantia, where the bolsters hug you but don't jab into you)

I've seen the photos here of the bolts that stick into the right bolster area and mine has that too, however on close inspection I'm pretty sure that the bolt doesn't stick far enough in to be felt, and isn't a contributing factor. Instead the issue is the large plastic housing to the outside of the bolster near the seat hinge where the control handles are housed. There is only a thin section of bolster between your back side and this solid plastic housing, so you feel it as a hard lump in the bolster. Sitting forward a bit further to get your back side away from this narrowed section helps with this but causes other discomfort due to bad posture.

3) The central area of the base seems to sag too much in relation to the bolster. What I find is that when I first sit in the seat or rearrange my position in the seat it feels "OK" or even comfortable sometimes, but after just a couple of minutes I can start to feel the bolsters digging painfully into my sides until it feels like most of my body weight is suspended between the tips of the bolsters. What seems to be happening is the central area sags over a period of a couple of minutes, causing me to sink down slightly until the hard pointy bolsters really start digging in. :(

This is really disapointing on a car that I otherwise really do like. A combination of the digging in bolsters and seat base not leaning back enough are just making it impossible to get comfortable, and it can get pretty uncomfortable on a long trip. Compared to that the seats in my 23 year old Xantia are more comfortable than the leather Sofa in the living room! I can drive for hours in that without any discomfort.

The backrest I don't have any complaints with - it fits my back pretty well and feels comfortable, it's only the base that has issues.

My thought at the moment is the bolsters are irredeemable due to their shape and the hard plastic housings hemming them in, so the best solution would probably be a thin cushion on the middle of the seat base to lift me up slightly so that my body weight is not resting on the bolsters and that I am only slightly touching the bolsters for lateral support during cornering. However for this to work the cushion would need to accurately match the shape of the flat section of the base which narrows towards the back, and finding a suitably shaped cushion could be a challenge if not impossible unless custom made. (I guess a piece of stiff foam cut to the right shape in a pillow case of some kind might work)

Has anyone else worked out a solution for this ? While there isn't enough back tilt on the base for my liking it's not too far out of whack, it's the digging in side bolsters that are the main culprit. :confused:

·
Registered
2017 Flame Red Leaf 30 Acenta
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I've seen the photos here of the bolts that stick into the right bolster area and mine has that too, however on close inspection I'm pretty sure that the bolt doesn't stick far enough in to be felt, and isn't a contributing factor. Instead the issue is the large plastic housing to the outside of the bolster near the seat hinge where the control handles are housed. There is only a thin section of bolster between your back side and this solid plastic housing, so you feel it as a hard lump in the bolster. Sitting forward a bit further to get your back side away from this narrowed section helps with this but causes other discomfort due to bad posture.
I've come to exactly the same conclusion. I have covered the bolts to stop them damaging the seat, however like you I've realised that they don't dig in to me. You're right, there is a hard sub structure running along the right hand side of the seat pan just underneath the seam between the side bolster and the seat base. Doesn't exist on the passenger seat.

I also feel better when I sit with my arse a bit further forward. Fortunately I don't generally drive it for more than 30 minutes so back issues won't come into it. Weirdly I do also find if I sit with my arse nestled stupidly far back into the seat rest helps me somewhat too.

I've decided that I need to look into some kind of aftermarket soft padding to do exactly what you've so eloquently explained.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
841 Posts
Yeah Trina seats are bloody uncomfortable.

The 40kw version I had on loan was much better, got rid of those stupid lumps at either side, you can slide in and out much better.

Im gonna end up with creased leather as at 6 foot 3 my fat ass cannot get out without compressing it

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,617 Posts
You can get triangle wedge foam cushion things. They're useful if you need more of an angle on the seat.

I noticed the new mini I think it was has pull out thigh support like the recaro type seats sometimes offer.

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,865 Posts

This seat issue is in a Leaf 40 so not sure it’ll be any help but I know a lot of things were carried over from the 30 to the 40.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

This seat issue is in a Leaf 40 so not sure it’ll be any help but I know a lot of things were carried over from the 30 to the 40.
Looks like pretty much the same issue and the same design flaws. Badly designed seat unfortunately.

The question is whether there is a simple solution such as a padded seat cover that will make it comfortable.

·
2,865 Posts
Looks like pretty much the same issue and the same design flaws. Badly designed seat unfortunately.

The question is whether there is a simple solution such as a padded seat cover that will make it comfortable.
I think he did a few more updates on this issue. Can’t remember what the final solution was.

·
Registered
546 Posts
From memory I seem to recall that NISSAN replaced his seat under warranty as a good will gesture.

I found the seat in the 40Kwh seemed to cut off short and didn't support the thigh which made my right knee painful when operating the gas and brake pedal, just wasn't able to get comfortable.

I bought this padded seat for HALFORDS, it ls really supportive and holds you in the seat when cornering, really comfortable. The secret though is to make sure it is firmly fixed and secured to and the seat so that it does not slide around. It tightly secures to the back of the seat and there are 2 straps to secure it to the front of the seat, I loosened the bolts that secure the seat to the floor, pulled the strap tight and wrapped it around the bolt and secured the bolts well down again.
The seat cover does elevate you in the seat a little so you do have to have drivers seat lowered into it's lowest position.

Halfords Padded Seat Cushion - Back Support | Halfords UK

Worth giving it a try for £30 quid.

·
2,865 Posts
Compared to that the seats in my 23 year old Xantia are more comfortable than the leather Sofa in the living room! I can drive for hours in that without any discomfort.
When the unfortunate day comes to scrap the Citroen, keep the seats! Do like they did in Top Gear and turn them into two chairs and a sofa. By adding a 12v battery, you could also keep the electric adjustment on the drivers seat. Would it fit in the Nissan? Now that would look interesting!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
From memory I seem to recall that NISSAN replaced his seat under warranty as a good will gesture.

I found the seat in the 40Kwh seemed to cut off short and didn't support the thigh which made my right knee painful when operating the gas and brake pedal, just wasn't able to get comfortable.
Same problem for me with my right knee, and the base is also a bit too short. (Nowhere near as short as the base of the seat in the Ion, which basically didn't support my legs at all and cause a lot of discomfort)
I bought this padded seat for HALFORDS, it ls really supportive and holds you in the seat when cornering, really comfortable. The secret though is to make sure it is firmly fixed and secured to and the seat so that it does not slide around. It tightly secures to the back of the seat and there are 2 straps to secure it to the front of the seat, I loosened the bolts that secure the seat to the floor, pulled the strap tight and wrapped it around the bolt and secured the bolts well down again.
The seat cover does elevate you in the seat a little so you do have to have drivers seat lowered into it's lowest position.

Halfords Padded Seat Cushion - Back Support | Halfords UK

Worth giving it a try for £30 quid.
Thanks for the suggestion - unfortunately not long before your post I ordered a couple of padded seat covers from ebay that look quite decent however if they don't work out for me I'll give these a look. It might take a little trial and error to find something that works well.

It boggles my mind that with today's technology car manufacturers can still be struggling with basic things like making a seat that is comfortable and adjustable. It's pretty clear that these Nissan seats were not tested on European sized bodies during the design phase and the mistake somehow made it all the way through to production... :confused:

I can somewhat forgive the Ion (i-Miev) as that is a tiny Kei class car which in general are not intended to be used outside the Japanese domestic market, however the Leaf was always designed for world wide distribution and is a "normal" medium size car.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts