Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a couple of posts that have mentioned in passing that the driver's side washer is weaker than the passenger side. Suspicion is that the cars are set up for LHD and not changed for RHD. However, mine is literally just dribbling from the nozzle and barely touches the screen (the passenger side works fine). I've reported it as an issue to my dealer but just wanted to double check that it's not somewhat "normal".

Also the wiper configuration is clearly set up for LHD, leaving a sweeping arc right in the driver's line of sight. Are they all like that, or is there some recourse to have that corrected?

Those two issues together on my car make it pretty dangerous to drive in drizzle on the motorway at the moment... I just end up with a nasty smear in the top right quadrant of the screen.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,399 Posts
I've seen a couple of posts that have mentioned in passing that the driver's side washer is weaker than the passenger side. Suspicion is that the cars are set up for LHD and not changed for RHD. However, mine is literally just dribbling from the nozzle and barely touches the screen (the passenger side works fine). I've reported it as an issue to my dealer but just wanted to double check that it's not somewhat "normal".

Also the wiper configuration is clearly set up for LHD, leaving a sweeping arc right in the driver's line of sight. Are they all like that, or is there some recourse to have that corrected?

Those two issues together on my car make it pretty dangerous to drive in drizzle on the motorway at the moment... I just end up with a nasty smear in the top right quadrant of the screen.
My washers are the same both sides, no complaints there.

The wipers are the wipers, but I’ve not noticed anything dangerous about the bit in the top right of the screen that doesn’t get wiped. Are you particularly tall? Or did you mean the washing fluid not getting up there means it doesn’t clean so well?

My main complaint about the wipers is that the Auto wipers don’t work on mine, they wipe when I adjust the sensitivity, but then don’t wipe again no matter how much rain falls after that. I think it’s that software thing again. They work fine in non auto mode, in many ways easier to manually adjust the stalk wheel for intermittent wipe timing.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,983 Posts
Insufficient washer fluid landing on the screen is an MOT fail. If the screen isn't cleared properly then the car isn't roadworthy. I'd check there's plenty of screen wash and run the wash a few times and the rear wash a few times to make sure there isn't something daft like an air bubble in it.

Add more neat screen wash as well as it could be partially frozen. There's no engine warmth so screenwash has to be much stronger.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,110 Posts
Maybe try pushing a needle in the end of the feeble washer jet to clear it. If it cannot squirt above the wiper in its lowest position, all the wiper is doing is spreading the crud on the windscreen out evenly.

The wiper pattern on my car is exactly symmetrical and beautifully clear.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
577 Posts
I’ve reported this to my dealer and to VW, my car is back in the workshop 10 days from now and I’m keen to see what they make of kit (if anything!)

On my car the wiper alignment to the edge of the screen is worse on the right, the final sweep in the sequence leaves an arc across the right side, and the right side washer gives a spray but probably only half of what goes on the left.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My washers are the same both sides, no complaints there.

The wipers are the wipers, but I’ve not noticed anything dangerous about the bit in the top right of the screen that doesn’t get wiped. Are you particularly tall? Or did you mean the washing fluid not getting up there means it doesn’t clean so well?

My main complaint about the wipers is that the Auto wipers don’t work on mine, they wipe when I adjust the sensitivity, but then don’t wipe again no matter how much rain falls after that. I think it’s that software thing again. They work fine in non auto mode, in many ways easier to manually adjust the stalk wheel for intermittent wipe timing.
No, I'm definitely not tall... :) Yes, part of the issue at the moment is there's no fluid getting to the top half and right side of the screen. The passenger side wiper edge reaches to the dead center of the driver view, and is "on top" so as a wipe finishes, anything pushed off the edge of the wiper is dead center. As that is the last thing to get wiped, the arc from that wiper just stays there. Even if the water is clean, there's still an arc left behind. It's hard to explain in text, but once you notice it you can't un-see it.

The wipers should be the other way around, so the driver side is on top when the wipe completes. That would solve the issue as the last arc would be across the other side of the screen, not right in front of the driver.

Auto wipers work ok on mine. They do seem to either wipe too much or not enough but I haven't driven much in light rain to test the settings properly yet. They don't seem to be as good as the eGolf was. I'm on 0783, so possibly software.

Insufficient washer fluid landing on the screen is an MOT fail. If the screen isn't cleared properly then the car isn't roadworthy. I'd check there's plenty of screen wash and run the wash a few times and the rear wash a few times to make sure there isn't something daft like an air bubble in it.

Add more neat screen wash as well as it could be partially frozen. There's no engine warmth so screenwash has to be much stronger.
Definitely not frozen or lacking fluid. The passenger side works as expected & sprays all the way up the screen. The driver's side is little more than a dribble. Have tried checking for blockages, seems fine. I thought it wasn't working at all at first as I couldn't see anything coming out. It's only when at motorway speeds the water gets blown to the screen at all.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Auto wipers work ok on mine. They do seem to either wipe too much or not enough but I haven't driven much in light rain to test the settings properly yet. They don't seem to be as good as the eGolf was. I'm on 0783, so possibly software.
Having been out in some light drizzle earlier, I think the auto wipers may not actually be working on mine after all. Either that, or they are far too sensitive. I'll have to try them again when it's dry to see if they are just on interval setting.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At the risk of talking to myself & bumping my own thread...

I did some testing just now with the aid of my daughter wielding a spray bottle. My auto wipers do work with the settings giving a range of incredibly sensitive or requiring a monsoon. It seems to be tricky to find a setting that would work under normal driving conditions without over-wiping. I've settled on the second-largest droplet on the scale for now & will see how it goes next time I drive in the rain (which I'm sure won't be a long wait in this country!).

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,399 Posts
At the risk of talking to myself & bumping my own thread...

I did some testing just now with the aid of my daughter wielding a spray bottle. My auto wipers do work with the settings giving a range of incredibly sensitive or requiring a monsoon. It seems to be tricky to find a setting that would work under normal driving conditions without over-wiping. I've settled on the second-largest droplet on the scale for now & will see how it goes next time I drive in the rain (which I'm sure won't be a long wait in this country!).
I’ve tried similar experiments with the slider pushed across to enable automatic wiping, and no amount of water makes them wipe past the initial one after the sensitivity is set.

I’ll see if it’s resolved once the software update is rolled out, and for now I’m back in the groove of using the stalk and rotary control for intermittent speed and wipe/fast wipe. Quite refreshing to have them do what I want when I want!

The auto wipers on my previous GTE and e-Golf were very good though.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Strange, these are the best auto wipers I've experienced in any VW and as good as in my Volvo V90.

Saying that, I've not experienced them sensing a deluge from a passing HGV in advance and wiping before the spray hits the screen like the Volvo. They're not quite that good but certainly work well.

Strange the inconsistencies between the same cars.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've seen a couple of posts that have mentioned in passing that the driver's side washer is weaker than the passenger side.
Yes, I have that issue too.
Its not so bad that it wont clean the windscreen though. You mention its only a dribble, mine is better than that but noticeably worse than passenger side.

Yes, they are all like that and clearly setup for LHD. No idea if they can fix that. I doubt software would fix it. Most likely the arm that drives the wipers would need replacing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Its not so bad that it wont clean the windscreen though. You mention its only a dribble, mine is better than that but noticeably worse than passenger side.

Yes, they are all like that and clearly setup for LHD. No idea if they can fix that. I doubt software would fix it. Most likely the arm that drives the wipers would need replacing.

Can anyone post a video from the drivers seat showing the wiper in motion ?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Most likely the arm that drives the wipers would need replacing.
Is there a single arm? When investigating fuses, I recall seeing separate fuses for left and right wipers.

My recollection of the wipers was that the sweep left smears in the wax coating making it harder for the driver than it ought to have done. Must remember a better windscreen coating when I get things done.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,868 Posts
Mine seems the same as the Golf, apart from the passenger side wiper finishing after the drivers side one, but that's not a major issue and I can't imagine it being easy to change now the car is assembled.
Until it was pointed out on here I hadn‘t noticed. I certainly don’t think it’s “dangerous” as claimed by some.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,988 Posts
Until it was pointed out on here I hadn‘t noticed. I certainly don’t think it’s “dangerous” as claimed by some.
I think it depends on if its the sort of thing you notice or not. It's definitely not dangerous but I like to clear splashes and streaks with an additional wipe.
With the ID the additional wipe doesn't help as it's the last movement that leaves the water in the middle of the drivers side view.
It would have taken me a few of drives in the wet but I would have commented at some point. As I knew I saw it straight away. It clears after a while and when it's constant rain its not an issue. It just feels like something that could have been better if they'd had more time to refine it for the RHD market.

Is the same as the kilometres/miles thing in the software. The UK is different to most other markets so its not that surprising that these are issues. It only affects a tiny part of the world market, time is tight so it gets squeezed. We shouldn't be so stuck in our ways!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My comment about it being dangerous was that in combination with my washer not working, I couldn't clear the driver's side of the screen. The wiper config made that issue worse by just spreading a dirty smudge. The washer would have been a bit less of an issue if the wipers spread the fluid from the other side more like the "usual" VW wiper config.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts