Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaf e+, led lights - is there a setting to adjust for driving on right?
Going to France tomorrow, & just realised I'd forgotten to check on this! Any helpful advice welcome, please.

Colm

·
Registered
215 Posts
Colm, I haven't come across a setting for adjusting the lights but can't help you definitively. I would be very interested in hearing how you get on driving and charging in France sometime though please. Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply.
I did read elsewhere that LEDs don't need adjustment, but haven't found it mentioned in the owner's manual. Perhaps it is in chapter 99, & I've yet to find it!
Will report back how it turns out.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had a leaf (!) through the manual, but couldn't find anything. As you mentioned, some lights don't need adjustment nowadays -- they just point straight ahead so are OK driving on either side of the road. The ones that do, for a UK spec right hand drive vehicle, will point slightly to the left, in order to illuminate road signs and avoid dazzling oncoming traffic to the right. If you look carefully at the light pattern in the dark, you might be able to work out if the pattern is even (OK) or left pointing (bad, for France). If you can't detect any leftward tendencies, hopefully a gendarme can't either!

If you are still nervous about it, try to pick up one of those sets of stickers that go over the headlights. The instructions will probably say which cars need them.

Best of luck with your trip! Would be interested to know how you get on with charging and everything else.

Kind regards
- Garry

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll let you know how it goes.🤞
We've registered yet more apps for French charging places.
Nissan main dealer in Boulogne has Chademo, & quite conveniently nearby our route to our destination, so plan to say hello to him! As we'll be likely to be staying mostly within 100-150 km from our Nord Pas de Calais base, we shouldn't be doing anything too ambitious on this 1st trip. Theoretically.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So far (day 5 of 9 in France) having no problems with car/charging.
Headlights - unadjusted, no apparent issues or annoyance of other drivers.
Charging - at Eurotunnel Folkestone, 2 (free to use) Chademos, 1 in service. Managed to get 35 mlns before boarding train, topping battery to 89pc.
En route from Calais to destination 100km, called at Auchan supermarket. Chademo/CCS there, but Chademo down with 'technical fault'.
Arrived our destination with 40pc charge remaining. Connected granny charger (via standard UK/French plug adaptor) overnight, battery 97pc after 14 hrs.
Day 3, used Aldi (not Lidl) store 22kW charger with Chargemap card. Customer services lady there said the charger could also be used in store opening hours by asking at customer services. They would require you to produce a charge card & driving licence, then issue a card for the charger. Useful if you haven't registered for a suitable card beforehand!
Day 4 - visited French friends in town 70km from our place. Started fully charged (thanks, Granny). On return 150 km later, still had 66pc left.
So, in summary, happy bunny, no lights- or range-related anxieties now.
Weather is great, food delicious & wine spot on.
Vive la France en electrique!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Postscript - last note:
Back home yesterday (all too soon, as usual for holidays). French Eurotunnel has several Chademos & type 2s, free to use before boarding. Charged up, onto train & plenty in battery for (mostly motorway, 70-75mph) easy run home.
Fuel cost for week's holiday, approx £12.
Actually cheaper than back in my hitch-hiking days, & seriously more comfortable way to get around!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't offer a France-wide idea, but actual installations around 50-50 in area we were in (le Touquet to Arras region).
Type 2s widespread though, useful as no new Chademos will be added as French going all CCS now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@PearlBlack I'm glad you had no issues in France.

I once drove to Czech Republic in my Leaf 30 back in 2015.

As for headlight, I went without the stickers and had no issues with that.
I can't tell if the other drivers in Europe liked my headlights or not but got flashed by only one.

Charging in Europe was a bit of a hit and miss. Best and most reliable in the Netherlands, was ok in Belgium and France, reliable (and free) rapid chargers on German motorway services but 7kW chargers were hard to find or access or were out of order. @GarryL Chademos as common in Europe as in the UK, I would say. Total fuel cost: 17,-EUR (London - Prague - London). But again, this was back in 2015. I am sure the charging situation has greatly improved in Europe just like it did in the UK.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts