Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much to my surprise, I am leaving the car in Eco mode all the time. It just seems to drive really well with a much smoother throttle response than Sport. Has anyone found any disadvantage to being in this mode?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I did that for the first 6 months then "graduated" to Comfort mode. I much prefer the analog speedometer to the Eco dial thingy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too drive in Eco mode, I find it much smoother on the accelerator pedal, your not constantly on/off giving a jerky ride. that with regen in level three makes one pedal driving way more usable.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,246 Posts
If it is like the Soul, then eco was just fine for me. Just a more pleasant throttle response. Also the same for the Ampera.

Other cars, the eco is far more aggressive, restricts speeds, etc.. Zoe, you have to drive with ECO 'off'.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I only drive in sport mode, normally set regen to zero when on main roads. Ride is very smooth not jerky at all, maybe I've just got very good control of the accelerator. One thing I don't like about other modes is the throttle delay which is especially noticable at junctions - when pulling out in anything other that sport mode it feels like the trottle is a bit squishy, just like a fossil car, where as in sport mode it feels like the thottle is connected to your foot so it does exactly what you want it to do.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, what a great range of opinions. Thank you everyone. One thing that struck me is that it may be nice that one day to change to using another mode. To evolve. To keep it all fresh.

You have made me think about something Rob. For some years I drove an old-fashioned turbo. One where the car had absolutely no power at all until the turbine got spinning. I got used to that thing of pressing the throttle hard at junctions to stop the car trickling out like an ant carrying a heavy load of shopping but then backing off suddenly to stop wheel-spin just at the point where the power would come in like a steam hammer hitting the car from behind. Particularly turning right on a busy road I remember. So maybe I am a bit pre-conditioned for that sluggish initial pull. A bit of nostalgia perhaps.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Has any ECO Mode users tried NORMAL mode from an economy perspective ? I had been using Eco as was getting high 6's km/kw. Since changing to Normal mode, I immediately jumped up to around 7.5km/kw.

So for me, Normal is more economical than Eco. I use Regen Level 3 all the time.

·
Registered
262 Posts
What actually is the difference between the modes? I know Eco+ restricts to something like 60 mph but with no gears I can only assume each mode alters throttle response only? If that's true then it doesn't really matter what mode you drive in because you'll naturally adjust to the throttle over time - how you drive is more important.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Each mode is a user configurable set of throttle response, regeneration settings and how far the AC lets the cabin temperature wander before correcting it. ECO+ is a special mode for limping to a charger with a nearly flat battery.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Whatever floats your boat. On balance I prefer NORMAL mode, regen level 0 + AUTO. That's generally not at all jerky (except when AUTO panics at a parked car or cyclist). I never use ECO. I've tried level 3 but find it tiresome that you're fighting the accelerator pedal return spring all the time at a steady speed. Also, on the back roads especially, I like to approach hazards with my foot hovering over the brake pedal -- much safer. I tend only to use SPORT mode for a particularly demanding overtake. However, on recently conducted tests at steady speed of true 50mph (GPS) using SCC on a level road, ECO mode actually drew 4% MORE power than SPORT mode on average -- SPORT seemed to control the speed more tightly, with less fluctuation in the power used. Weird. I'd expected no difference.

·
Registered
163 Posts
What actually is the difference between the modes? I know Eco+ restricts to something like 60 mph but with no gears I can only assume each mode alters throttle response only? If that's true then it doesn't really matter what mode you drive in because you'll naturally adjust to the throttle over time - how you drive is more important.
NORMAL mode and SPORT mode progressively make the power response steeper and the curve tops out at a higher level -- SPORT = max performance on tap. You're correct, it's all under the control of your right foot though. That said, there's always a temptation to drive with more gusto in SPORT mode. On power up, the car will default to either ECO or NORMAL, but not SPORT. I think Kia is discouraging us from caning the battery too often. Full whack in NORMAL mode only draws about 130kW, which is enough for all but the most challenging overtake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts