Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Listened to a phone-in radio program today about the price of gasoline. One caller said he'd love to get an EV but, "as everyone knows, you can't drive an electric car in the snow." Where does this misconception come from? It's one of the most common questions I'm asked by ICE folk: "Do you drive your car in the snow?" Even the dealer I bought my EV from was dismayed when I told him I'd be driving it as my main winter car.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Lol. The misconception comes from the oil / vehicle industry. Like the one I heard yesterday "an EU study has proved that EVs use 4 times the energy of petrol cars"
(sometimes you just have to let it go)

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
There's a Fully Charged episode in which Robert Llewellyn discusses driving his iMiEV in the snow – his and the local farmer's tractor were the only vehicles on the road.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The misconception may have come from people saying EVs are poor in cold weather, itself coming more from the cabin heating than traction? There's some truth to that - I have a leaf and keeping warm in cold weather, AND doing longer journeys is painful. That being said heat pumps and electric seats, perhaps whell get on with addressing this issue rather well

That beiung said I ordered a BEV (ok REX) with no heat pump. not an option on i3 rex sadly, though the petrol does add backup...

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Perhaps in Canada, as in Norway, you might find a very significant difference in car handling in the snow by virtue of being allowed studded tyres. They're not allowed in the UK except by special dispensation. I've driven on studded tyres - they make any vehicle far more capable of being snow-going.

If you removed the studded tyres from the Tesla in your example YouTube clip, it'd be slipping and sliding just as much as any other RWD car would in the same conditions :rolleyes:

For sure, tyres, driven wheels, vehicle weight, differentials etc. all make a big difference. I appreciate the Tesla clip is a good bit of marketing for Norway and Canada.

It would be equally valid to say "BMWs are all rubbish in the snow." (Then show a clip with one on studded tyres lapping a christmassy Nurburgring) :D

When we get our two days of snow in England, I have no illusion of driving past stuck Land Rovers ;)

It does however prove that they can be driven in cold conditions, and EVs don't stop working when it gets cold.

·
BMW i3 Rex
216 Posts
Limited experience (because we don't have winters now) in the Leaf suggests that in general they're better in snow than comparable ICEs. Smoother drive leads to better controllability.

·
Super Moderator
12,221 Posts
Like the one I heard yesterday "an EU study has proved that EVs use 4 times the energy of petrol cars"
Media rarely bother to check a research paper.

Time to get out my soapbox and start a new thread.

·
Super Moderator
12,221 Posts
Snow? Pre-LEAF we'd either stay at home or drive our beater van. Hasn't snowed since we got the LEAF.

The Z4 was terrible in snow. So was the MINI. Not enough ground clearance. LEAF should be better then either of them.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Lots of leafs in Norway all working fine and they get proper snow not the dusting that we get, still not driven mine in the snow, lack of gears should be taken up by traction control, I think it would also be a good idea to drive with max regen too and let the motor do the braking.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I haven't driven my Ampera in the snow, but my experience so far is that it is easier to very gradually apply power to the wheels if I am careful with the accelerator than in an ICE where the engine is already spinning and the clutch has to do the gradual take up. No second gear needed!

On the other hand, that low front spoiler...

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've driven the Roadster in snow and its amazingly good probably because of the micro-second traction control response, whereas ICE's seem to monitor is every 1/10th a second then cut the fuel and pulse the ABS or something daft.

At the end of the day though, if you hit black ice, no amount of TC is going to save you.

Gratuitous pic of it parked up in the pub car park after a dusting last year :-

Attachments

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
I've driven the Roadster in snow and its amazingly good probably because of the micro-second traction control response, whereas ICE's seem to monitor is every 1/10th a second then cut the fuel and pulse the ABS or something daft.

At the end of the day though, if you hit black ice, no amount of TC is going to save you.

Gratuitous pic of it parked up in the pub car park after a dusting last year :-
I've driven my Exige in the snow, and it was actually OK despite semi-slick track tyres. :eek:

So while we are in gratuitous picture uploading:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Supercar Snow

It did have TC, but TBH it still allowed some slip, so really not that good for snow. The nice thing was until the supercharger was wound up, and second cams really kicked in it was actually fairly docile. Another big plus is they are much more rear weight biased than most other sports cars (I think the Roadster is too) so lots of natural mechanical traction on the rear wheels.

Nowhere near as good as my old pickup truck with M+S tyres and diff locks though ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm itching for some proper snow this year. Have some testing to do...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Got my Leaf two years ago today. fitted with Toyo winter tyres it was great to drive. Well balanced and smooth delivery of power meant efficient progress

1 - 20 of 39 Posts