Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi 1 week in to a 7.5 golf gte advance. I love using b mode. Is using b mode when NOT in ev the equivalent of using battery charge? I.e in effefcient?
I’ve not done a long journey yet, how much does the battery charge on, say, 100 miles in hybrid on the motorway?
Many thanks

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,764 Posts
B-mode is a simple "simulation" of engine braking. As EVs don't have the default engine braking as an ICE, the B-mode is an approximation. It basically provides a small level of retardation, similar to ICE cars. I don't think it is that efficient or strong to be considered "charging".

The problem is that B-mode, is not as efficient as coasting. In an EV the best most efficient way is to coast as much as possible.

B-mode and its extreme big brother "one pedal" driving are simply user interface. The differences in efficiency are too small though, so go with whatever rocks your boat.

*Note: some of the other modes, GTE, Hybrid, will still provide aggressive recharging of the battery if you are close to empty. Hybrid will maintain ~3miles of range, GTE will charge up to 12 miles.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
B-mode is up to 30kW if you let off the pedal and around 45kW while braking (same applies in 'D' mode)

This is about 10x faster than the car normally charges however it is for only a short period of time (and indeed if you keep the rate up for a long time especially with a high battery charge, the car will begin to limit it.)

Basic idea with regen is "it's better than braking, but avoid braking if you can". So only regen if needed, but at least you get 60-70% of the energy back, compared to 0% for braking. But you lose none if you coast - besides air resistance but there's no escaping that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
B-mode is up to 30kW if you let off the pedal and around 45kW while braking (same applies in 'D' mode)

This is about 10x faster than the car normally charges however it is for only a short period of time (and indeed if you keep the rate up for a long time especially with a high battery charge, the car will begin to limit it.)

Basic idea with regen is "it's better than braking, but avoid braking if you can". So only regen if needed, but at least you get 60-70% of the energy back, compared to 0% for braking. But you lose none if you coast - besides air resistance but there's no escaping that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it thanks. If I use ev to get to the motorway it would use most of the battery, will it recharge on the journey?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Got it thanks. If I use ev to get to the motorway it would use most of the battery, will it recharge on the journey?
Thanks
No point in charging the battery using the engine - it burns extra fuel compared to just using that fuel to drive the wheels.

For long trips:
  • Start with a 100% battery
  • Drive on electric down to about 60-80%
  • Ideally start the engine before reaching the motorway to allow it to warm up
  • When you are getting close to your destination, switch back to electric, and aim to arrive with 0 miles range

If you don't have charging at your destination, try arriving with 3-4 miles range to allow hybrid to be used efficiently on the return journey.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts