Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After multiple trips to the north of France/Belgium, I thought I would share my experiences.

Travelling from Wiltshire, the first task was to get to the ferry in Dover. In Summer this can easily be done with one-stop but in Winter this means two stops. I easily lose 20-25 miles in winter vs summer travelling.

There are lots of good highspeed charge points on the British motorways and we have found a great Pub/ Restaurant on route with free charging. :)

1st time we did this we came off the ferry at Dunkirk with about 50miles of range. Very bad planning as at the time, I did not have any of the europian charging cards. Luckily my native French-speaking girlfriend managed to get a one-off card for charging at one of the service areas on route to her parents, just outside Lile. (Never again, the atmosphere in the car was not good). At her parents, we used the granny charger via a suitable converter to successfully charge the car overnight.

Major Supermarkets free charge points: Look out for charge points at major supermarkets - but beware the standard within Europe seems to be it's okay to unplug you after 80% charge without notification. You don't need your card to unplug as you do in most UK charge points.

Using ZapMap and other similar search sites we found many charge points but all too often they were ICE'd, not working. Brugge was the most annoying where 4 charge points were ICE'd the day we visited. (Though I have now found there are several others in the city). Most major road and motorway services now have charge points and these were generally in good working order.

Key advice; Search what cards you will need both at your destination and along the route, well in advance of your travel and apply for the cards in good time for them to be posted to a UK address. Don't be afraid to phone them, most have English speaking representatives. See: Plug Share or Chargemap

theAA has some good advice.

No need for range anxiety, if you plan your journey, Enjoy

·
Striving for a greener planet
360 Posts
I did Frankfurt and back from south east London in a Kona EV. A breeze. Like you said, got myself a Plugsurfing card and a New Motion card. Only used Plugsurfing on IONITY and one at a rapid outside the train station.
No range anxiety at all. All chargers worked and a total doddle.
Now have a M3 and will be doing skiing in the alps, Spain and south of France with no hesitation.

Edit: oh, and no need for bravery. Pretty simple really

·
Registered
11 Posts
I thought you could pay by mobile phone (scanning the charger's code) with Ionity? Or maybe I am thinking of Innogy. We regularly do London to almost Frankfurt in our Tesla, but I want a smaller run-around and thinking of an I3, so have been checking out non-Tesla charging options en route. A better routeplanner is also good for charging options en route.

·
360 Posts
You are right. Most of the time I used IONITY’s app and scanned the QR code but there was one occasion I had no phone reception so just swiped the Plugsurfing card which was no bother.

Now the Outlander is gone we have a M3 LR and a Q210 Zoe. Perfect for our needs. A little run around for city stuff and a bigger more luxury car for longer distances. Oh and no more burning dino juice

·
360 Posts
Also on that trip, due to the Kona’s large battery and the €8 flat fee, electricity only worked out at roughly 19c a kWh. Bargain

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Why would you do that? Why not rapids?
Err...
RobEV said:
It can be done, in theory you can travel anywhere around the world that has a domestic socket. However, in the Leaf, you may only be able to travel 160 miles a day.
Because he was answering to someone who asked how, based on his own statement, he came up with that range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts