Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience of driving electric in France? Just planning a holiday with my new ZS!

·
Registered
117 Posts
i have read a few blogs/posts on other people doing it , someone in a 30kw Leaf and a few from the Hyundai Kona forum on this site have done so , you can look them up ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Depends where you're going. If you're going from Calais and heading south then I'd say be mindful that the roads are 80mph and there are some big changes in elevation - the route planner on Chargemap has a stats tab to show you changes in height so its range estimates are probably going to be good.

If you're going via eurotunnel, don't assume the chargers there are going to work. Make time and stop off before you get there. Same on the Calais side.

Chargemap and NewMotion cards will get you around charging wise (plugsurfing is a new one but I haven't used them) - they'll work with the sodetrel and Ionity chargers. Ionity have jacked up their prices so filling up isn't going to be cheap but they're sometimes the only rapids around. 7kw chargers in parking lots tend to charge by the minute so be careful about overstaying.

If you're going to be using your 3-pin charger wherever you're staying then get a heavy duty converter and a polarity checker. I got one from toughleads; you might decide to buy 2 because of the reversed polarity.

I'd recommend going north towards Holland personally, the FastNed networks are pricey but reliable.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Holland have the dubious benefit of reduced speed.limits on their motorways (down to 100kmh) due to emissions.

Also Dutch cities seem to have much better on street 7kw chargers. We stayed near Utrecht last summer and they had hundreds on the streets. Loads.more even compared to Milton Keynes.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
We’ve leaving for France on March 14th, returning early April. The car is a ZS EV Exclusive.

Planning CorriDoor mostly, Ionity where necessary, and hotels - 2 or 3 rapids every day, for 1000km there and the same back. Much encouraged by Bjorn’s 1000km challenge, so I know the car can do this!

I‘ll post a summary when I get back

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,804 Posts
Beware, Corridoor can be expensive at lower charge rates. It may be best to hunt out cheaper or free alternatives.

·
Registered
125 Posts
....and so is IONITY!....but to get the milage in, in a reasonable time, I have to use whatever rapids are there....and non-Corridoor rapids, and rapids off the main autoroutes, are hard to find. The overnight hotels will help keep the cost down....

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,804 Posts
At least Ionity charge by the kWh - corridoor charge by the minute. This can be painful if you need a high SOC to get to the next charger.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have been looking into the network RFID cards required for travel in France. Shell Recharge/New Motion (same) and ChargeMap will cover a lot of networks. I also acquired the PlugSurfing card. These 'consolidators' are convenient but they add their margin to existing network charges.

You could get the following cards to save a little. If you check out the maps of charger location for these networks you find that initial connection charge and charge per min or per kWh is sometimes less than the 'consolidators'.

KiwhiPass
IziVia (EDF)
Révéo

·
Registered
125 Posts
Note that ‘some’ CorriDoor rapid chargers are down

The web page would seem to suggest it’s not all their chargers.....but I don’t understand what they mean by this.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes, I did read about this last week. So quite a number of chargers out of action whatever card you have! I understand that only one particular model of rapid charger is affected and they have shut off those models.

It would be nice to know what timeframe they are looking at to resolve the technical/safety problems with those chargers.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Chargemap says “25 stations belonging to another manufacturer are still available”
I don’t see a way to search for these ones on Chargemap, except by going through them one by one....

·
Registered
13 Posts
The ones that are out of service are the EVTs. The older DBTs are still operating but of course these might not work if you have an empty battery...my Kona would trip them off if trying to charge below 45%. So this is very inconvenient....on a recent trip to the Alps every EVT worked as advertised, but on the way back we had to plan on Ionity locations. Fortunately we got a charge in the overnight hotel in Troyes which allowed us to top up from a DBT on the way to Calais...would indeed be useful to know when they might be reinstated...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Troyes is where I usually overnight on the way to the Alps. Which hotel do you use and does it have a destination charger or a rapid nearby?

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's the Brit Hotel Le Compete de Champagne. The charger is on the wall in the car park...not super fast but good for an overnight....you need your own cable tho.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks Yoda! Good to know and it looks good and reasonable. I have stayed in the relays router a couple of times just off the autoroute south of Troyes. Basic cheap rooms and excellent food. That was in the past when I had a fossil car so its a whole new game now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts