Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A thought occurred to me this morning and I went and checked - when driving normally, with the lights off (either manually or in auto mode), we have good driving lights at the front. However there are none at the rear! This misses the point completely of driving lights to my mind - they're to allow cars to be seen, not to illuminate anything, therefore we should have them at the rear as well. To do this you need to manually change to side lights, and then remember to change to proper lights when it's dark/rainy - i.e. the auto-lights is effectively usless.

Any thoughts on this? I was recently driving at dusk with auto-lights running and it wasn't quite dark enough for it to put the main lights on, but was definitely side light weather, and I wrongly assumed "Ah I have driving lights, that's exactly what I need" but of course I didn't at the back!

Obviously driving lights should never be used in place of real lights, it just seems incongruous and inconsistent to have them at the front but not the back.

Thoughts?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
Daytime Running Lights were designed to warn others that the vehicle was approaching and that is why only the front illuminates, they also need to reduce intensity when headlights come o n.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But what about warning others approaching you, e.g. at the back of a queue of traffic, that there's a car there? It seems like only half a solution to be honest, which is worse than no solution because people now rely on their front driving lights, not turning on their main lights and thus being invisible from the rear (apart from reflectors which are a last chance saloon in terms of being seen...)

·
Registered
654 Posts
The DRL are to warn of an approaching car, if reverse is selected, the reversing lights come on for the same effect. In an ideal world, people would turn the lights on if it's dark and people would not turn fog lights on when it's not foggy. But the car can't cater for all the numpties out there. :)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed, you can't legislate against stupidity ;) but it seems daft to warn in one direction only...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Agreed, you can't legislate against stupidity ;) but it seems daft to warn in one direction only...
In my opinion the most dangerous scenario is a driver pulling out from a junction not noticing a car approaching whereby if he pulls out there is pretty much no time for either driver to react. From the rear, if you are driving at a correct speed for the distance you can see in front of you, you should be able to see a car is stopped or going slow and have time to react and brake in time

·
Registered
167 Posts
As I understand it, Daytime running lights were first introduced in Sweden to make an approaching car more visible, particularly in their low sun conditions. Accumulated data showed a marked reduction in accidents and this eventually resulted in an uptake of this feature through legislation in the USA and more recently in Europe. In poor weather conditions, the need to utilise the manually operated headlamp still exists as the ambient lighting in light rain and fog may not be low enough to activate the headlamps automatically. The DRL's are there to help the approaching vehicle visibility situation in daylight only. No other benefits are intended. The automatic lighting feature is not legislated and is effective for night time running and not necessarily for poor visibility situations such as fog or rain.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
Kind of similar to the old 'dim dips' that only lasted for a short while before DRL became the norm.
If I remember it right dim dips came on when the sidelights/parking lights were switched on and the ignition was on thereby making it impossible to drive with only sidelights/parking lights illuminated.
What does not help these days are cars with permanently illuminated dash dials and no 'lights on' warning light as there seems to be a good few cars driven about with no lights on when it gets grey dark and I think it is because the driver can see the dash illuminated and forgets about having to switch on the lights.

·
Registered
138 Posts
As I understand it, Daytime running lights were first introduced in Sweden to make an approaching car more visible, particularly in their low sun conditions. Accumulated data showed a marked reduction in accidents and this eventually resulted in an uptake of this feature through legislation in the USA and more recently in Europe. In poor weather conditions, the need to utilise the manually operated headlamp still exists as the ambient lighting in light rain and fog may not be low enough to activate the headlamps automatically. The DRL's are there to help the approaching vehicle visibility situation in daylight only. No other benefits are intended. The automatic lighting feature is not legislated and is effective for night time running and not necessarily for poor visibility situations such as fog or rain.
I've only recently noticed that the lights (front and rear) come on whenever I switch the wipers on, irrespective of the ambient light level. Clever eh?

Big Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts