Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried a search on it , but couldn't find any similar questions being asked.
There's a part of the road I use every morning that whenever it rained hard the night before, it would inevitably get flooded.next mnorning
How safe is it to drive the Tesla through a water logged road, is the battery pack well protected against water ingress?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand a little bit of Japanese, I think the commentator said after the filming, the car needed a new drive and a battery pack replaced !!

Only joking :D

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I read somewhere that battery cars are actually safer in floods...unless the ice has a snorkel of course. But I'll deny it in court ;)

Reactions: Paj

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
There are no live parts exposed to the air which could also be touched by water just leaking in at atmosphere. The high voltages would risk sparks jumping to any other nearby metal components in air, let alone water. Given that only a small amount of water would do for a high voltage system (as opposed to a good slurp for an ICE air intake) just driving at high speed through a smallish puddle or torrential downpour would be enough for the aforementioned amount to work its way in if there was a way in.

All EVs are equipped with circuit breakers to detect short circuits, isolating the battery, so even in the event of a total submersion under higher pressure, any water that would get in would simply activate the breakers.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
My brother's 3 series required a new engine after driving through a local ford (the water crossing type, not the car manufacturer ;) ). They have a relatively low air intake point, so it caused water to be sucked up through the intake.

I haven't tried the Tesla through it yet, but happy to do so in the name of science!

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I have read about people accidentally getting the motor submerged, which killed the car.

Other than that, the car has to be able to cope with high volumes of water being sucked in through the air vents at high speeds.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
All EVs are equipped with circuit breakers to detect short circuits
Might want to check that....

All EVs have fuses (requirement), some also have circuit breakers to interrupt the circuit.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Might want to check that....

All EVs have fuses (requirement), some also have circuit breakers to interrupt the circuit.
Which ones don't have the breakers?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Which ones don't have the breakers?
Might be easier to ask which ones have!

As far as i'm aware it's the teslas (wire fuse in pack and breaker for whole battery) and some of the more niche stuff. I think the gen2 leaf might have one too but not 100%.

Of the mainstream stuff (gen1 leaf, zoe, ampera etc) none of them have breakers and all use traditional fuses (usually semiconductor fuses).

I guess the cost of a circuit breaker capable of several hundred amps at 400+vdc is far greater than a simple fuse.

When you consider the chances of there being an issue where a fuse may be required it seems silly to use an expensive component such as a breaker as an alternative.

I see them much more frequently on the custom and niche stuff and I guess this is because there is more likelyhood of something going wrong combined with less drive to reducr costs.

·
Super Moderator
12,001 Posts
Tesla? No idea. Best thing would be to ask Tesla directly.

We used to live along a road that floods several times a year. I wrote Renault and asked them about fording depths for their vehicles. They passed the question back to the design engineers.

In summary, the reply was no deeper then the lowest point on the outside battery pack. They didn't want me submerging any portion of the pack.

My brother's 3 series required a new engine after driving through a local ford (the water crossing type, not the car manufacturer ;) ). They have a relatively low air intake point, so it caused water to be sucked up through the intake.
BMW publish maximum fording depths for most of their vehicles. It is in the owner's manual. From memory a 3er is 200mm or 250mm at very low speeds.

Even with a snorkel current Land Rovers have a maximum depth somewhere around 500mm. The problem is there are several vents that will take on water. There are aftermarket solutions.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Might be easier to ask which ones have!

As far as i'm aware it's the teslas (wire fuse in pack and breaker for whole battery) and some of the more niche stuff. I think the gen2 leaf might have one too but not 100%.

Of the mainstream stuff (gen1 leaf, zoe, ampera etc) none of them have breakers and all use traditional fuses (usually semiconductor fuses).

I guess the cost of a circuit breaker capable of several hundred amps at 400+vdc is far greater than a simple fuse.

When you consider the chances of there being an issue where a fuse may be required it seems silly to use an expensive component such as a breaker as an alternative.

I see them much more frequently on the custom and niche stuff and I guess this is because there is more likelyhood of something going wrong combined with less drive to reducr costs.
Right - thanks. Fuses are quicker to break obviously - is that desirable in this application too?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
No that is not desirable in this application - if a fuse blows, it will need to be replaced at a cost (after the reason for the fuse blowing has been identified).

If a breaker 'trips' then it's simply a case of resetting it.

On a side note, I doubt water from a splash could transfer enough electrical power to cause a fuse to blow without evaporating. Unless it is fully submerged and there is an 'infinite' supply of water.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Thats the main pack fuse. I believe there is also a breaker which is more sensitive and designed to trip before that fuse blows.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts