Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will sometime be driving my 2020 UK spec, RH drive, eNiro in France and Spain i.e. on the other side of the road.
It's easy to change the display from MPH to KPH, but
How to adjust the xenon headlights to prevent dazzling oncoming traffic?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have driven my right-hand drive many times on the continent. By law you need to buy and correctly fit headlight beam deflectors. For example Halfords sell them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have driven my right-hand drive many times on the continent. By law you need to buy and correctly fit headlight beam deflectors. For example Halfords sell them.
OK thanks. I didn't think that they would work on xenon lamps as there are no prisms in the headlamp lens that the stick on deflectors can obscure.

·
Registered
17,420 Posts
Maybe check, as modern headlights are symmetric and don’t need correcting.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not correct @rickm.

As per manual "The low beam light distribution is asymmetric. If you go abroad to a country with opposite traffic direc‐ tion, this asymmetric part will daz‐ zle oncoming car driver. To prevent dazzle, ECE regulation demand sev‐ eral technical solutions (ex. auto‐ matic change system, adhesive sheet, down aiming). This head‐ lamps are designed not to dazzle opposite drivers. So, you need not change your headlamps in a coun‐ try with opposite traffic direction "

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ie, you need do nothing to drive in a left hand car in a right hand country, OR vice versa. It's literally in the manual.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you get questioned, I guess point the police to the relevant section in tehir language explaining the above. Section 5-88 of the English part of manual for a UK spec e-niro.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not correct @rickm.

As per manual "The low beam light distribution is asymmetric. If you go abroad to a country with opposite traffic direc‐ tion, this asymmetric part will daz‐ zle oncoming car driver. To prevent dazzle, ECE regulation demand sev‐ eral technical solutions (ex. auto‐ matic change system, adhesive sheet, down aiming). This head‐ lamps are designed not to dazzle opposite drivers. So, you need not change your headlamps in a coun‐ try with opposite traffic direction "
I've seen this quote from the manual many times on here but it makes no sense. First they say that the low beam light distribution is asymmetric, and that this part will dazzle other drivers, and then go on to say that the headlamps are designed not to dazzle. Which is it?

That's not to mention the extremely dodgy English that looks like it was written by someone who writes spam emails for Nigerian princes :)

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
The full compatibility list for Halfords deflectors is at http://www.motoring-into-europe.co.uk/halfords/download/travel-spot-latest-vehicle-listing.pdf

Kia Niro is listed though not explicitly e-Niro and uses fitting pattern 114 which is used by many other Project+Xenon headlights. Sadly they didn't include the diagrams themselves in the online PDF.

Also the FAQ may be useful: Halfords Headlamp Converters - FAQ's

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yes, headlights don't need to be changed. Driving in France at night with the MG ZS EV I received numerous flashes from vehicles on the other side within the first hour. I fitted the converters and received no more irritating flashes from oncoming motorists.

On a smaller departmental road I could clearly see the higher beam on the other side of the road.

So converters are required with this car on continental Europe. Don't want to give the police an excuse to stop you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts