Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any precautions you need to take when plugging in in driving rain? What if some water gets on to the metal contacts?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
never had a problem and had some biblical rain of late where I live. No worries about getting a shock as power does not flow until the chargepoint and car shake hands.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only advisory apart from don't charge underwater etc is that you should not go prancing about with the cables in a lightning storm
I can't find anything in the manual that warns against that. I think you've been fed duff info. I'll try in in the next electrical storm. Who knows, perhaps you can charge the vehicle like Doc Brown.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've never understood why they call it "driving rain" anyway. When it's raining really hard it's no fun driving. I much prefer "driving sunshine" to match my driving music :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
I've had the "service steering column" error message on my Ampera lots of times after charging when it's wet. Vauxhall said the error is nothing to do with the steering column, and is caused by water ingress into the charge port. They've replaced mine with a new design (better seal apparently), and I've not had the message once since...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I can't find anything in the manual that warns against that. I think you've been fed duff info. I'll try in in the next electrical storm. Who knows, perhaps you can charge the vehicle like Doc Brown.
The Ecotricity rapid chargers actually state this on the chargers themselves (along with not getting too close if you have a pacemaker) - though it's in fairly small print so I assume it's just precautionary rather than an absolute no-no.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts