Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Info: I can drive with my Turkish driving licence in UK for only one year, and I'am in 11.month... Then, i must get a UK driving Licence.

Yesterday, I put the "L plates" on my Leaf and took it to driving test :)

When I told the examiner that the car is electric, his first respone was "is it fully electric ???". He went to ask his colleagues and one of them said "No problem! Enjoy, it will be nice and quiet". At the end of the test he said he was amazed with the car...

I passed by the way :D

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Congratulations!

That's how it works with EVs: get people in the car and they start wanting one. Get them to drive it and the urge increases.

·
Journeyman Human
409 Posts
Congratulations on passing the test :)

Am I right in assuming sitting the test in a Leaf will get you the Automatic only licence and not the full licence including manuals?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...

Yes, its automatic only... I don't expect EV's will be manual - So, no problem :)

Reactions: Mangan and AtTheVan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, the magnetic L plates was fine for the boot but didn't work for the hood.
Leaf's hood is not steel... which suprised me...

Then I found out that Gen 1 hoods are Aluminium, Gen2 are steel... which suprised me again :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Maybe I'm a bit dated but I thought instructors and examiners needed a handbrake they could apply in an emergency.

This could be a bit tricky as the Leaf I test drove had a foot operated parking brake.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Maybe I'm a bit dated but I thought instructors and examiners needed a handbrake they could apply in an emergency.
Quite a few cars and vans have the parking brake located to the right of the drivers seat. Austin A35 was one in the past , Fiat Ducato at present are two that I have owned.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
how many road legal cars don't have a handbrake???
The requirement is for a 'secondary' braking system and or a parking brake. no mention in the Regs. of a handbrake.
Most cars built have three braking systems. On the LEAF that is a split line hydraulic brake system through the main brake pedal, and a totally separate parking brake through the foot pedal.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Oooh, I had never come across any driving schools that were using electric vehicles like you are. Good to see!

One thing that has just come to mind. I don't think its possible to to totally disable the reversing cameras, is it? How do you get around that in the LEAF as I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed them during your test.
Why not? They are a driver's aid in just the same way that abs is and that system doesn't have to be disabled before the emergency stop.

Same with using cruise or speed limiter, you are demonstrating awareness and control of your vehicle.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,638 Posts
I can't see any requirement for L plates if you have entitlement to drive from a current valid licence from another country. Did the examiners say you had to have it?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Oooh, I had never come across any driving schools that were using electric vehicles like you are. Good to see!

One thing that has just come to mind. I don't think its possible to to totally disable the reversing cameras, is it? How do you get around that in the LEAF as I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed them during your test.
I was taught and took the exam in my Leaf. The advice I received on reversing camera was don't use it solely, use mirrors as well. I had to do reverse around corner and used both cam and mirrors it was fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't see any requirement for L plates if you have entitlement to drive from a current valid licence from another country. Did the examiners say you had to have it?
The L plates and extra mirror for the examiner are mentioned in the rules/criterias about using your own vehicle in driving test. So, I didn't want to start the driving test having a discussion with the examiner over two simple stickers... I just sticked them before the test :)

I agree with you. It seems like there shouldn't be any requirement, i searched in the web before going to test but couldn't find anything about it.

I was planing to ask after the test. But after the test "insurance issue" was hot topic - I forgot about the plates... He was advising me not to drive back home because my car insurance was with my Turkish driving licence. He said that, as soon as I am entitled to UK licence (after passing the test), my Turkish one is not valid here. In that moment, I am driving with UK licence, but car insurance is with Turkish licence... So, I would be driving without car insurance :(

With the light of this fantastic rule complication example, I don't expect that there will be logical approach to L plates rule... I think "If it is a rule for driving test car, then it is a requirement !"

Note: After I drove back home, I phoned Aviva and they changed the licence type in the policy in 5 min... I didn't know that it was so simple :)

Reactions: donald

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Yes, its not possible to disable the reverse camera. And yes, you are not supposed to use them. Because "the book" says that when you are reversing, you MUST turn and look back. If you are reversing with looking forward and checking your mirros only, it is a safety issue and you will fail from reversing.

In the test, I didn't look at the camera and he didn't mention anything about it. - In case, post-it notes were ready to cover the screen :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
The camera doesn't need to be covered or disabled for an L test. Lack of effective all round observation will get candidates a driving fault so candidates can't just stare at the camera just like they can't just stare at the left door mirror. :)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,638 Posts
The L plates and extra mirror for the examiner are mentioned in the rules/criterias about using your own vehicle in driving test. So, I didn't want to start the driving test having a discussion with the examiner over two simple stickers... I just sticked them before the test :)

I agree with you. It seems like there shouldn't be any requirement, i searched in the web before going to test but couldn't find anything about it.

I was planing to ask after the test. But after the test "insurance issue" was hot topic - I forgot about the plates... He was advising me not to drive back home because my car insurance was with my Turkish driving licence. He said that, as soon as I am entitled to UK licence (after passing the test), my Turkish one is not valid here. In that moment, I am driving with UK licence, but car insurance is with Turkish licence... So, I would be driving without car insurance :(

With the light of this fantastic rule complication example, I don't expect that there will be logical approach to L plates rule... I think "If it is a rule for driving test car, then it is a requirement !"

Note: After I drove back home, I phoned Aviva and they changed the licence type in the policy in 5 min... I didn't know that it was so simple :)
Very wise.

The British can be real idiots sometimes. We like to follow rules, but we even follow rules when the people making them are idiots who have not thought of the complications from scenarios their puny little brains hadn't conceived of.

I cannot see how a UK licence invalidates your insurance whatsoever. Get 2 Brits in a room together to discuss what the law means, and you will get 3 answers. And this INCLUDES High Court judges! You stated to the insurance you have a valid driving licence. It should be that simple, but is NEVER that simple. If it were, then lawyers wouldn't be able to send their kids to private school on their ill-gotten proceeds.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts