Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the rain we have been getting down here in the south I was wondering if there is any advise anyone could give on the Ampera's ability to go through flooded areas. Ok obviously they are to be avoided but can anyone offer any guidlines i.e. inches deep.

Two areas of concern:-

1/ How high up the body is the air intake for the petrol generator?
2/ How well is the high voltage battery insultated from exposure to the elements?

·
Registered
16 Posts
last week, late for a meeting I went through a ford that is normally only a couple of inches - the metre stick in the river showed 0.2m (8 inches) everything was fine no electrical smells, brakes worked first time, was running on battery at the time.
I don't see why this car should be any different to any other except that perhaps you do not have the worry of getting water into the air intake of a running engine .... or is that actually worse as the water could linger in the air filter for the next time the engines starts ...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi sphhants,

Re:Question 2) Go to 'chevrolet volt water trough test' on 'you tube' regarding the Volt flood testing. It is an old video but gives an idea on what it is capable of withstanding.

Re:Question 1) The answer is I dont know but if driving through a flood, by not operating the engine could the exhaust outlet also be a problem with water ingress? the exhaust outlet points down behind the rear bumper. You and David have got me thinking on this one :!:
Don't you just love it when you ask a question and you get one back :roll:

·
Registered
11 Posts
sphhants said:
1/ How high up the body is the air intake for the petrol generator?
The height of the air intake is the same as any normal car, which would be about the height of the o/s/f headlamp.

sphhants said:
2/ How well is the high voltage battery insultated from exposure to the elements?
Whilst taking the Ampera courses, we were told that the Ampera/Volt had been dunked into a swimming pool and that had no effect on the high voltage system. The high voltage system is very well insulated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts