Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the torrential downpour hitting at least my part of the UK it occured to me that I feel safer in my kona than I did in any previous ICE car. Yes there is a lot of battery, but it is properly sealed.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,647 Posts
My wife feels the same in our EV too. Mind you previous ICE was an MX5 with a knackered soft top.

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
You’ll still die if the car floats away downstream.

Unless you’re planning on carrying an outboard?

·
Registered
318 Posts
You’ll still die if the car floats away downstream.

Unless you’re planning on carrying an outboard?
At nearly 1800 kilos your more likely to sink!

John.

Reactions: Richard Gledhill

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
75 Posts
Just after I got my Kona I left work only to find that the dip in the road I usually pass had about 2' / 60 cm of water in the deepest part, so naturally I turned around and went the other way only to find a second flood of, I guess 1' / 30 cm but well over 150 m long before it went out of sight round a corner. With no way out I started to turn around and go back to work and wait an hour or so for the water to go down. But as I was turning a Tesla S (I think) came wading from around the corner through the pond and went past me, he carried on through the 2' deep water too, with the water above the top of his wheel arches, no doubt laughing at me stopped at the edge of the water and not following. I wondered whether his Tesla warrantee covered this, or perhaps it was a company car, and he didn't care. Either way it went through without any apparent problems. As for me, with a less than 2 week old car, I finally got home 2 hours late.

Reactions: finchlean

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
Seeing the news today about land and houses being washed away it's probably getting smaller. :(
For some reason I always seem to time these road trips with major storms.

Anyway, looks like blue skies in Le Mans today...

·
Registered
Peugeot e-2008 GT-LINE
93 Posts
Just after I got my Kona I left work only to find that the dip in the road I usually pass had about 2' / 60 cm of water in the deepest part, so naturally I turned around and went the other way only to find a second flood of, I guess 1' / 30 cm but well over 150 m long before it went out of sight round a corner. With no way out I started to turn around and go back to work and wait an hour or so for the water to go down. But as I was turning a Tesla S (I think) came wading from around the corner through the pond and went past me, he carried on through the 2' deep water too, with the water above the top of his wheel arches, no doubt laughing at me stopped at the edge of the water and not following. I wondered whether his Tesla warrantee covered this, or perhaps it was a company car, and he didn't care. Either way it went through without any apparent problems. As for me, with a less than 2 week old car, I finally got home 2 hours late.
Electric systems are sealed and IP rated to withstand this no problems, it woul more likely be the ingress around your door seals making your interior carpet damp than any other issues if the water got that deep

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
Can you publish your trip diary somewhere for us please ;)
Sorry, too dull I’m afraid.

When you drive for 2.5 hours, plug into a Supercharger with no issues and drink coffee it doesn’t make for interesting reading.

I do have a better one I need to write up however. Standby. ;)

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Heheh... I assume a certain person is making annoying posts again - I can always tell as there are gaps in the post numbers and lots of annoyed comments!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts