Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I’ve been driving on empty for two years now and I want to share to anybody who apparently has “ Range Anxiety”

I have attached videos at the bottom.

So I drive a lot and and 3 to 4 times a week I would literally be like driving on 0 miles showing on the dashboard I’ll break down the stages I’ve gone through to get to that stage abd what happens after.

The beginning stage is when the
Battery turns yellow and displays 10 miles. Usually have around 2 to 3 kW left

After 1 mile of driving

It will then drop to 8 miles

After another 1 mile of drivng

it drops to 4 miles available

After that the battery will turn to red from yellow and sound will arise displaying low battery.

On the right a message popup will display saying “ Have you considered the eco mode? “ This is when you are in non-eco-mode which is pretty cool it’s a very direct but a rhetorical question.

Once you keep driving now after the message, on the left a little tiny square battery sized symbol pops up and it keeps flashing yellow.
It’s a very annoying silly sound keeps playing forever, Brip brop, brip brop, brip brop,

Once you keep continuing to drive
another messagw pops up saying.
“ LIMITED PERFORMANCE “.
This is when you no your in deep TROUBLE!
this stage will be the motor limiting the performance and you cannot speed up if you put your foot down it will travel 0 to 30 in about 25 seconds. This is where you need to start worrying that you might die in the middle of the road that’s when I realise I really need to start charging. I can confirm I have done 1.5 miles with a limited Power and TopSpeed of about 20-30.

Personally after that is either make or break however after this message There is no other stages

From when the message arises of 0 miles and no battery at all in red I personally can travel five extra miles and have done it over the last two years without no hesitation at all because I know that the car will not pass out for a minimum of 4-5 miles.

Id Like to note that when I plug in the vehicle it display 0% and when it gets to 80% it is 20 kW so when it’s 100% the vehicle takes in about 25 kW

I’ve only ever passed out which was on the motorway towards Canterbury and the charger was two minutes away but didn’t make it and had to get the Tow Truck out.

What happened was 70mph road. My car was doing doing 50 then slowly went down to 40 whilst the foot was down and then it didnt allow me to go over 30, it then cut out and Glided down in N to the hard shoulder.

If you are travelling 60 miles to your destination and once you arrived you completed 60 miles and
It was displaying zero you would then be able to do a further 5 miles I guarantee you that, I have proof checked and done it at least 120 times But each to their own👍👍.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
209 Posts
Wow! I got anxiety just reading your post there :oops: I've come over all funny!
Yep just reading today about my battery in my 22kw Zoe is in fact 26kw .. its a bloody good job that they are over cautious with their guess on the GOM when it hits 0 its not really empty!

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,160 Posts
“ Have you considered the eco mode? “
If that's what you see I feel like mine has had something go badly wrong during translation from French. I get "Maybe the eco process?" - It actually took me a moment to work out the meaning the first time I saw it.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,257 Posts
I ran my 22kWh Zoe down to 0% many many times out of necessity (not enough chargers in the right places). Came a cropper once and needed a push a bit to a charger, but never a tow. Zoe says its flat, and will coast to a stop, but if you turn off car and wait 10mins you can then restart and move about 200 yards before it will die again. I have done this 5 times on 1 occasion and got within 200ft of a charger when I first stopped I was easily 2 miles away.

I pushed the MG to its limit and its behaviour is very different, when it stops it stops and that's it!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Lowest I ever had my Zoe was “4 miles remaining”, which was fine as the charger was 2 miles away and downhill.

A 22kWh car was not the best choice for an 80 mile round trip in the depths of winter.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,127 Posts
I ran my 22kWh Zoe down to 0% many many times out of necessity (not enough chargers in the right places). Came a cropper once and needed a push a bit to a charger, but never a tow. Zoe says its flat, and will coast to a stop, but if you turn off car and wait 10mins you can then restart and move about 200 yards before it will die again. I have done this 5 times on 1 occasion and got within 200ft of a charger when I first stopped I was easily 2 miles away.

I pushed the MG to its limit and its behaviour is very different, when it stops it stops and that's it!
Is this the EV equivalent of bungee jumping?
Adrenaline fix for the 21st century.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I used to do the same thing in my old Toyota Aygo as a teenager (out of necessity!). If the fuel light was flashing, heck you still had 30 miles.

Reactions: Electric Jamie

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
209 Posts

I've done this on my mobile phones a few times lol - cuts out ... leave it 10 mins and it starts up again and i can text lol :D - they must magically charge themselves up a little bit whilst they are off for 10 minutes

·
Zoe Devotee
9,257 Posts
Is this the EV equivalent of bungee jumping?
Adrenaline fix for the 21st century.
I wish, sadly no. Scotland might have tons of chargers dotted around but they were often not where I needed them at the middle of a trip, which meant pushing for home with suspect range. I used to arrive home frequently showing --- range.

The MG was just a flat mistake on my part, in my defence I must have been suffering mild heat stroke as I had a stonking headache on the way home and had considered stopping to charge but just wanted to be home. Hindsight I won't make that mistake again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts