Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've just booked a holiday in Portreath, which is 328 miles from us in the East Midlands. I reckon our ID.4 can easily do that with a single charge halfway, which would be right between Bristol and Bridgewater. I'm thinking the 4 x 120 kW Instavolts just off the M5 north of Bristol are our best bet, does anyone here have experience with them? They all show as double-headed (CCS+Chademo) 120 kW units on the Instavolt site, but Zap-Map shows two of them being Chademo-only? It also shows one of the CCS units as being out of service, which does give me pause. Cornwall isn't exactly know for accessible rapid charging, so I'm not certain we'll have a good 'Plan B' if those Instavolts fail us... There's Taunton and Cullompton farther on, but those are 1- and 2-unit stations, so I'd rather not rely on them unless I really have to...

Once we get to Portreath we should be able to granny-charge at the resort, and if not there are three single-head 50 kW GeniePoints within 10 miles, so we should be fine while we're there. It is mostly the halfway charges on the way down and back that worry me. We'll have my father-in-law with us so I'd prefer to avoid any EV-related embarassment!

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,977 Posts
MFG seem to have got a couple down there as well. Filton one seems to be close to Mollies diner gridserve as well so it should be easy enough to find an available point.

·
Registered
Kona EV, 64kW Premium Nav 2019
397 Posts
18 months back we stopped at the Priory Hotel, Portbury - very close to the M5, charger was easy to use & we found a 2-for-1 deal on food at the pub for lunch - worked for us!
Just a suggestion (we are also in the East Midlands, near Leicester)
& that said, we do prefer Instavolts on the very rare time we plug into a public chargepoint - very reliable!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
859 Posts
Come off at Bristol Cribbs Causeway and just off one junction of the motorway roundabout is a bank of 4 instavolts in McDonalds and just off another junction of the Mway roundabout is a bank of 4 Gridserve's, which happen to be in the car park of a very agreeable Mollie's diner. Just down the road is a Shell recharge as backup.

Between the 2 of them, with backup options, that's 8 or 9 rapids in a radius of around a mile. You'll never be stuck without an ability to charge there. It's quite the perfect stop location. Worked a treat for both ways when I went to Cornwall recently. There just might be a wait as more people pick up on it and it ends up busy. But for now, the unitiated will gravitate towards the services just further up the road at Gordano and have a suitably miserable experience as a result.

We're doing Yorkshire to Devon in April and that will be my stop off point again for sure.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
859 Posts
We used the back up option at Cullompton on the way back, just to ensure we had the slack to get to Cribbs Causeway, after we found Exeter Services to be stupidly busy on the Gridserves there.

Not my favourite Instavolt. It was slow going getting through Cullompton, there are no dwell facilities and on the day we found it to be painfully slow, Despite me having already been on the road for 2 hours and it being a nice warm day we never topped 21kw. I eeked out 20 miles or so and then gave up and left.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Come off at Bristol Cribbs Causeway and just off one junction of the motorway roundabout is a bank of 4 instavolts in McDonalds and just off another junction of the Mway roundabout is a bank of 4 Gridserve's, which happen to be in the car park of a very agreeable Mollie's diner. Just down the road is a Shell recharge as backup.
There's also a large 8 unit MFG by Cribbs, going towards the Aerospace Museum

·
Registered
195 Posts
We've just booked a holiday in Portreath, which is 328 miles from us in the East Midlands. I reckon our ID.4 can easily do that with a single charge halfway, which would be right between Bristol and Bridgewater. I'm thinking the 4 x 120 kW Instavolts just off the M5 north of Bristol are our best bet, does anyone here have experience with them? They all show as double-headed (CCS+Chademo) 120 kW units on the Instavolt site, but Zap-Map shows two of them being Chademo-only? It also shows one of the CCS units as being out of service, which does give me pause. Cornwall isn't exactly know for accessible rapid charging, so I'm not certain we'll have a good 'Plan B' if those Instavolts fail us... There's Taunton and Cullompton farther on, but those are 1- and 2-unit stations, so I'd rather not rely on them unless I really have to...

Once we get to Portreath we should be able to granny-charge at the resort, and if not there are three single-head 50 kW GeniePoints within 10 miles, so we should be fine while we're there. It is mostly the halfway charges on the way down and back that worry me. We'll have my father-in-law with us so I'd prefer to avoid any EV-related embarassment!
Don't forget Shell have several fast charge areas (175kw) in Cornwall. 3 chargers at Fraddon Services, with a handy Mcdonalds nearby. Penzance has a public car park with 2 chargers. Tho you have to pay to park. I drove from Yorkshire to Cornwall in 2021, toured round the usual sites, did over 1000 trouble free miles.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
375 Posts
I live there (Hayle, just down the road from Portreath), have been driving a 30kwh Soul since a year last November. I (obviously) mostly charge at home but do a monthly trip to the Midlands (550 miles, recharge every 50).
There are an increasing number of rapid chargers in the county - you shouldn't have any trouble. My use of the public charging network in Cornwall is ChadeMo and only ever at Jamaica Inn as it's the first (and last charge) - next one Exeter on the way out. Victoria services are on the A30 just north of Newquay.
The only thing I would say is that what with the rapid increased uptake of EVs I would expect chargers to be busy during school holidays, as everywhere I suppose. I've started adopting the practice I used to have in the ICE when coming down on holiday - travel overnight, or at least early hours.

With regards to the trip I was let down by Sedgemoor services a couple of times on the last trip and was pleasantly surprised by Moto Bridgewater on both occasions - only a single unit but available both times.
Seriously disappointed by MFG Dunball - 1 rapid, 6 x 7kw. A Tesla had just got on the rapid for a full charge so I had to leave all these lovely shiny new (slow) chargers to go and find Morrisons, which wasn't as close as it looked on the map, in the rush hour - then find the M5 again. That contributed to a normal 7.5 hour trip becoming a 10 hour one (worst yet!!)
To be fair, most of the dozen or so trips I've done up there over the last 12 months have been 7.5 hours (used to be 4 in the ICE when I was 'on it' but definitely arrive more relaxed these days).

·
Registered
Enyaq iV 80
41 Posts
Cribbs has good options for plans A, B and C. Cullompton has 2 gridserve, 4 ionity and 2 instavolts nearby for alternatives. OP coming from Midlands, but others coming from Yorkshire might prefer a two stop strategy, even if one would do. There's not much between Birmingham and cribbs in terms of rapid hubs yet. But options coming in the pipeline.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I live there (Hayle, just down the road from Portreath), have been driving a 30kwh Soul since a year last November. I (obviously) mostly charge at home but do a monthly trip to the Midlands (550 miles, recharge every 50).
There are an increasing number of rapid chargers in the county - you shouldn't have any trouble. My use of the public charging network in Cornwall is ChadeMo and only ever at Jamaica Inn as it's the first (and last charge) - next one Exeter on the way out. Victoria services are on the A30 just north of Newquay.
The only thing I would say is that what with the rapid increased uptake of EVs I would expect chargers to be busy during school holidays, as everywhere I suppose. I've started adopting the practice I used to have in the ICE when coming down on holiday - travel overnight, or at least early hours.

With regards to the trip I was let down by Sedgemoor services a couple of times on the last trip and was pleasantly surprised by Moto Bridgewater on both occasions - only a single unit but available both times.
Seriously disappointed by MFG Dunball - 1 rapid, 6 x 7kw. A Tesla had just got on the rapid for a full charge so I had to leave all these lovely shiny new (slow) chargers to go and find Morrisons, which wasn't as close as it looked on the map, in the rush hour - then find the M5 again. That contributed to a normal 7.5 hour trip becoming a 10 hour one (worst yet!!)
To be fair, most of the dozen or so trips I've done up there over the last 12 months have been 7.5 hours (used to be 4 in the ICE when I was 'on it' but definitely arrive more relaxed these days).
Yep, Sedgemoor was rubbish. Let down twice due to broken connectors. Zap Map can be your friend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts