Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Just got very first EV this week. Thinking about driving to southern Spain next summer. Just wondering if anyone here has experience of driving this far in their Leaf. I have downloaded Electromaps app which gives all European charge stations. It looks possible although the route won't be the most direct. It will definitely be an adventure!

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
What type of Leaf? If it's a 30 kWh maybe.

I think you'll get through France on their Corridor system, but in Spain it's really pretty difficult right now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it's a 30kwh. Spain actually looks a bit better than France judging by the proximity of charge points. May not be so easy to get hold of all the relevant cards, etc, though. Have you driven through France?

What type of Leaf? If it's a 30 kWh maybe.

I think you'll get through France on their Corridor system, but in Spain it's really pretty difficult right now.[/QUOTE

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
Yes it's a 30kwh. Spain actually looks a bit better than France judging by the proximity of charge points. May not be so easy to get hold of all the relevant cards, etc, though. Have you driven through France?
Yes, both France and Spain.

Which route were you thinking of in Spain? I looked at it earlier this year and didn't think it was possible unless you were prepared to spend a few nights charging with the granny cable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Either Portsmouth - Le Harvre or Dover - Calais. If Le Havre then down through France via Tours, Bordeaux, over border on to Pamplona, across to Zaragoza, then Valencia and down coast to just south of Alicante. If Calais then down east of Paris, Lyon, Perpignan, Barcelona and straight down coast.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
France is easy - there are rapids at the motorway aires, at Auchan hypermarkets and at Nissan dealers. See my post here on how to get through France: Road Trip To France??

I've no experience of Spain to add I'm afraid.

One thing I would warn about is consecutive rapid charging and battery temperature - after about three consecutive rapid charges in a 30kWh Leaf you'll find that your battery gets rather toasty, which will restrict rapid charging to 20-30kW, nearly doubling your charge time.

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
Either Portsmouth - Le Harvre or Dover - Calais. If Le Havre then down through France via Tours, Bordeaux, over border on to Pamplona, across to Zaragoza, then Valencia and down coast to just south of Alicante. If Calais then down east of Paris, Lyon, Perpignan, Barcelona and straight down coast.
Yeah, I don't think the route from Pamplona to Valencia is possible in an EV of less than 200 miles range.

Have you checked out any of the charge-points in the map yet?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Belstar. That's good info about the battery getting toasty. I think we are going to leave the long trip down to Spain until we get the new Leaf in a couple of years time. Hopefully the Spanish network will have improved by then. We will definitely do a French trip next summer, though!

·
Registered
886 Posts
after my adventures i'm, work permitted, thinking of driving down to Ayamonte, Spain somewhere next year. this in the 24kWh - 1 bar but that will be just for the fun of it with no time pressure including a detour via Limoges to see the 'old' man :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts