Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm sure we all know, the e-Up! has white LEDs in a sort of semicircle around each end of the front bumper. But mine doesn't seem to have any rear lights showing when the front DRLs are illuminated. There is a very similar pair of red 'things' around each end of the rear bumpers but they don't light up at all and indeed just look like (very good) reflectors (the front ones don't seem to act as reflectors at all).

Is this correct, or have I got some sort of wiring fault ? I don't want to rush off to a VW dealer just to be told it's perfectly OK.

Can't say that I'm a big believer in DRLs (I've said elsewhere on this forum that indiscriminate fitting of the things detracts from the small advantage that motorcyclists used to gain by turning their headlights on in daylight) or seriously worried about the dangers of them not working, but I would be concerned if I turn out to be committing a moving traffic offence by failing to display an obligatory light.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The purpose of a DRL is to make the front of an approaching car more visible in low lighting conditions. DRLs have nothing to do with the back of the car - displaying red lights at the back of a car in daylight indicates that it is braking.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks chaps,

At least I shan't have to go bothering a VW dealer.

I don't think DRLs are fitted on the rear of cars -- I don't think my e-Golf has any. I think your red things may be reflectors..
I'm sure they are - though wasn't sure if they were meant to have both functions

DRLs are only fitted at the front to all cars. Which is stupid in my opinion.
As a confirmed DRL hater, I agree with both your possible meanings - i.e. they're stupid anyway but if they had any real safety benefit then they'd probably be just as useful on the back

The purpose of a DRL is to make the front of an approaching car more visible in low lighting conditions. DRLs have nothing to do with the back of the car - displaying red lights at the back of a car in daylight indicates that it is braking.
If they were only intended for low lighting conditions (which might be a good idea but most cars have a switch to turn headlights on when needed !) why do they have to be permanently lit ? Brake lights would of course have to be brighter than rear DRLs and of course many cars have a central brake light in rear windscreen these days. Indeed, some cars do indeed have permanently illuminated real lights - my Volvo has (quite legally - its a 2008 model) had the permanent headlight feature disabled but those that have kept the option would be displaying rear sidelights at all times. Even closer to home, my son's 2011 Polo (actually I own it but he's the main driver) is wired so that headlights (possibly at reduced power ?) sidelights & even number plate light are always illuminated when ignition is live.

Reactions: Thermostat9

·
Registered
52 Posts
FWIW, you can code VAG stuff to be in 'scandinavian' mode, where the rear lights are also part of the DRL setup.

Google VCDS (the name of the software) for more info. DRLs are one of a whole load of cool stuff you can do to the car!

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
Ever since Volvo introduced them to an indifferent world 20-30 years ago, I had always understood DRLs to be a way of making a car that is in use noticeable -- for much the same reason as motorcyclists are recommended to turn their lights on.

Come to think of it do motorcycles have DRLs?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Motorcycles built these days have to have lights on. My '09 Triumph doesn't have a switch for the headlights, they are always on when the ignition is on. The only way to turn the headlights/taillight off is to turn the engine off.

·
Banned
1,698 Posts
Motorcycles built these days have to have lights on. My '09 Triumph doesn't have a switch for the headlights, they are always on when the ignition is on. The only way to turn the headlights/taillight off is to turn the engine off.
You can (legally) fit an off switch!

·
Registered
199 Posts
You can (legally) fit an off switch!
I'm not sure. It's probably an EU thing for manufacturers. i'm sure if you built your own bike you'd get away with it? I've always ridden with lights on anyway. It's just a apin when you have a flat battery and the headlights take the last of your power. Ironically then only motoring breakdowns I've had since own an EV is a flat battery on my ICE bike...

·
Banned
1,698 Posts
I'm not sure. It's probably an EU thing for manufacturers.
I am, it is.

i'm sure if you built your own bike you'd get away with it? I've always ridden with lights on anyway. It's just a apin when you have a flat battery and the headlights take the last of your power. Ironically then only motoring breakdowns I've had since own an EV is a flat battery on my ICE bike...
I know a chap who got a new Tiger a few years back on the strength of them fitting switchgear that allowed the lights to be turned off. He's bought a new one and Triumph do not make the switch gear any more but he fitted a master switch to the faring.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thinks like switch gear doesn't change very often so you can get stuff at breakers, ebay etc. I was going to use a headlight switch to operate some heated grips. I'm not sure but I think all new vehicles have to have either DRLs or headlights always on when running.
Even the Formula-E cars have DRLs to show the cars are active. I think it's a good idea. I had a bloke once stick his head through the window of the Lead to tell me that I'd left my lights on. I was about to pull off, nearly took him with me.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FWIW, you can code VAG stuff to be in 'scandinavian' mode, where the rear lights are also part of the DRL setup.

Google VCDS (the name of the software) for more info. DRLs are one of a whole load of cool stuff you can do to the car!
Afraid you seem to have misunderstood me. I'm not looking to fit an extra DRL at rear, merely wondering if I should have them but they're broken.

Rather than 'cool', the whole concept of fitting additional and unnecessary lights leaves me cold :D

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it's a good idea. I had a bloke once stick his head through the window of the Lead to tell me that I'd left my lights on. I was about to pull off, nearly took him with me.
Arguably, the lights being on were the only reason he tried to lean into the car and hence would have been the prime cause of any resulting accident.;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Afraid you seem to have misunderstood me. I'm not looking to fit an extra DRL at rear, merely wondering if I should have them but they're broken.

Rather than 'cool', the whole concept of fitting additional and unnecessary lights leaves me cold :D
And I was explaining that them working is an option to have them at the rear, so to answer the question, "Is this correct, or have I got some sort of wiring fault ?", it's neither - it's a changeable configuration. You can also disable them completely in the same manner, which maybe isn't so cold?

The other 'cool' things I was referring to are options like having the windows/sunroof close if left open and rain is detected on the windscreen. I think that's pretty cool, personally! Or less interesting things like making the doors lock as you drive off.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can also disable them completely in the same manner, which maybe isn't so cold?
Attractive as that option is, I'm afraid it would be illegal to implement it ! But thanks anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts