Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep my electric car in a garage some miles away. Recently I was able to get one closer, so bought some new self adhesive 'buffers' Car Door Edge Protector Guards - Self Adhesive Garage Wall Bumpers Set of 4. Super Foam and Thick Anti Scratch Thickness 3cm: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike to stick on the walls.

However, the back wall of the garage seems to be too damp for these to stick. I have left a small paraffin greenhouse heater in there today to try to dry it out, but I don't know if that is going to do the trick.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Sadly I have no electricity there.

I take it you mean 'no more nails' ? Yeah that's an idea.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Why do you want to stick protectors on the back wall? It's easier to put a few house bricks on the floor to stop the front car wheels going too close so that the front end can't hit the wall.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why do you want to stick protectors on the back wall? It's easier to put a few house bricks on the floor to stop the front car wheels going too close so that the front end hits the wall.
Thanks. That's a good idea.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Why do you want to stick protectors on the back wall? It's easier to put a few house bricks on the floor to stop the front car wheels going too close so that the front end can't hit the wall.
Or a tennis ball on a piece of string hanging from the roof so that it just touches the windscreen when the car is in position. Could be annoying though.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Or a tennis ball on a piece of string hanging from the roof so that it just touches the windscreen when the car is in position. Could be annoying though.
Yes - I've seen that solution as well but with an EV on 'creep' I find it easy to just allow that gentle approach to be stopped by physical bricks.

The brick method can be annoying when there is no car in there as you can trip over the bricks smacking your head on the wall if it's dark in there.

And the dangling tennis ball method can be irritating if it interferes with movement, but not as painful.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I used tennis balls on strings to help when I parked a car in a very crowded garage. Precision parking was critical. I hung two balls so that when I reversed in correctly they just touched the middle of each wing mirror.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
If the passenger side is close to the wall (the usual as you need to exit the other side) I put a mark where the back edge of passenger side door mirror needs to be as seen from the driver's seat. Allowing a bit for parallax if you like.
In my current garage there's a big piece of white melamine board there at the moment (just chance storage), so I've put a pencil mark on that, but in the past I've used white paint or chalk on brickwork.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,681 Posts
Have you considered hanging the foam/protectors from the ceiling/walls? I recommend use elastic tied around screw hooks, if you use inelastic cord it might break or more likely pull the hooks out when/if you bump into it.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,961 Posts
You need to find where the water is getting in. Exterior guttering failing is quite common

Silica cat litter is good for drying things out.

For parking right it's easier to get some paint and draw marks to park against either on the floor or a wall.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, I think it's just the wet weather we've been having, and no DPC in the garages. There are garages either side, and the buffers stick fine on those walls as they are 'internal'.

My car is only about a foot shorter than the garage, so that's why I was trying to use the buffers on the back wall.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been putting up my Carcoon today which went well.

One problem I have is finding big enough power banks to run it. I bought two of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/ALLPOWERS-Portable-Generator-Emergency-Technology/dp/B081DSC1HD/ref=pd_sbs_86_1/260-7777600-2830057?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B081DSC1HD&pd_rd_r=22ec4e4c-0c3d-4329-8fb0-70d7408d3f1b&pd_rd_w=qK5ZK&pd_rd_wg=yUvhG&pf_rd_p=96cae456-8d7a-4bc1-91c7-9b20b4dfd7c9&pf_rd_r=QAMSJCRYWD1HFEVZ7ED3&psc=1&refRID=QAMSJCRYWD1HFEVZ7ED3 from Amazon, but they will only last about 3 days. I don't want to have to keep swapping batteries every 3 days. Has anyone found a reasonably priced 12v battery of about 800 to 1000 watthours? I'd prefer Lithium for lightness.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
A few LEAF/Outlander Cells would probably do the job...
They seem a bit overpriced in the used market to me, but compared to the price of the battery you linked maybe not all that bad?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts