Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
DS3 Etense 2020
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I am waiting on the collection of my DS 3 and have a question.

I will be mainly charging it from home once we get an installation for the power point but can I charge it from my garage plug supply.

The garage has its own trip switch box if that helps and it is a modern house build (2004 ish!).

What checks should I do beforehand?

Cheers,

Ben.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Have you got a portable electric heater, one rated 2.5 or 3 kWrs. Crank up the thermostat to thenmaximum so it runs continuously

Plug it in and monitor is for 10+ hours

If your garage wiring and socket survives that, your temporary charging solution will be OK.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Have you got a portable electric heater, one rated 2.5 or 3 kWrs. Crank up the thermostat to thenmaximum so it runs continuously

If your garage wiring and socket survives that, your temporary charging solution will be OK.
Before turning it on work the plug repeatedly in and out of the socket to clean the contacts.
Check the temperature of the plug after 5, 10, 30 and 60 minutes. If it is hot stop immediately - you need a new good quality socket.
You also should reconsider your choice of electricity supplier, your consumption is about to go up dramatically and there are some tarrifs that will save you a lot of money.

·
Registered
DS3 Etense 2020
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before turning it on work the plug repeatedly in and out of the socket to clean the contacts.
Check the temperature of the plug after 5, 10, 30 and 60 minutes. If it is hot stop immediately - you need a new good quality socket.
You also should reconsider your choice of electricity supplier, your consumption is about to go up dramatically and there are some tarrifs that will save you a lot of money.
Thanks for that! I've just got a new tariff with British Gas which is locked in until 2021 and is good. Plus we wont be driving very much less than 7K in a year :)

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Biggest overheating problem with a BS1363 plug and socket combination is the ridiculous idea of having a fuse inside the plug. The fuse generates heat. Old style thermoset plugs had lots of airspace to dissipate the heat and could withstand high temperatures without softening. Modern moulded thermoplastic plugs have very little internal airspace, soften at low temperatures. A disaster waiting to happen.

The contacts between pins inside the socket is not the problem: check how it is always the phase pin that gets hot and not the neutral.

Make sure your upstream circuit protection, MCB and RCD are in good working order.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I would encourage you to get a proper 7kW charging point and keep the "Granny" lead for backup and visiting friends/relatives (it doesn't have to be granny). Charging at 16A (max on PHEV model I suspect?) vs 10A still makes a big difference if you need to top up when you get home or take advantage of tariffs like Octopus Go where you get 4 hours at 5p kWh and a competitive day rate (unlike E7)

The temptation with using a Granny for daily charging is to forget about it and not regularly check for overheating, damage, etc. I did just that when we rented a property and after when I unplugged to take on a trip I saw it had melted at bottom - by the fuse as per @freddym concern above.

A dedicated RCD is unusual for a garage supply, and assuming it goes through a house one there are two issues. First, there is a risk of nuisance tripping as the car will have some additional leakage. Second, a rare but potentially fatal issue is that a DC fault on the car can cause the house RCD to be blinded and not trip when it should.

Finally, bear in mind that in a few years house buyers will see a fixed charging point as an important feature when looking at houses.

Reactions: BenEVNoob

·
Registered
4,830 Posts

Biggest overheating problem with a BS1363 plug and socket combination is the ridiculous idea of having a fuse inside the plug. The fuse generates heat. Old style thermoset plugs had lots of airspace to dissipate the heat and could withstand high temperatures without softening. Modern moulded thermoplastic plugs have very little internal airspace, soften at low temperatures. A disaster waiting to happen.

The contacts between pins inside the socket is not the problem: check how it is always the phase pin that gets hot and not the neutral.
Given the above, the question is what the point of the long-term test using a fan heater as the plug on the fan heater is clearly different to that on the "granny" lead?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Given the above, the question is what the point of the long-term test using a fan heater as the plug on the fan heater is clearly different to that on the "granny" lead?
Most portable domestic heaters also have thermoplastic moulded plugs. Mine have had theirs replaced with MK thermosets.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
It may be the same type, but it is a different example. If the fuse holder in the "granny" lead is defective it doesn't follow that the one in the fan heater will be. So a short test proves the wiring and the socket are OK, but why a long test?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
It may be the same type, but it is a different example. If the fuse holder in the "granny" lead is defective it doesn't follow that the one in the fan heater will be. So a short test proves the wiring and the socket are OK, but why a long test?
It's not a defective fuse holder. The fuse will generate heat even when working perfectly.
Reaching thermal equilibrium will take many hours, gene a 10 hour test is realistic and will give the OP a sense of what to expect.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
The maximum output of a fuse is 1W under BS1362. There is something else going on.

·
Registered
DS3 Etense 2020
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick question does anyone have their podpoint or 7kw charger in the garage?

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Thanks for this! This will be a temp thing as we will be betting our podpoint installed at some point soon, I hope!!
Could you use the portable charging unit (also called Granny charger) on a 13A socket in garage as a temporary solution?

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I think the OP explained some of this in his opening post.
TBH I didn't fully understand their opening post... Are they planning to get a proper charging point or not?

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
526 Posts
To be fair incompetent people have been putting heavy duty 3kw loads onto 13A plug top outlets for many years without too many fires.. houses with spa pools, self-installed electric showers, cookers, dodgy electric heaters and so on .. The 2300w the car charger pulls is actually quite modest and totally manageable by 99% of home's ring mains, as long as they've not been hideously bodged. ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts