Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
To be fair incompetent people have been putting heavy duty 3kw loads onto 13A plug top outlets for many years without too many fires.. houses with spa pools, self-installed electric showers, cookers, dodgy electric heaters and so on .. The 2300w the car charger pulls is actually quite modest and totally manageable by 99% of home's ring mains, as long as they've not been hideously bodged. ;)
A few points in this post to think about.
Cookers, at least one designed to plug in via BS1363 plugs, have low duty cycles, not 10hours or more.
Plug in electric showers, new one to me.
Electric fires, yes I've had the melted plug. Anything in my and my kids houses have thermoset plugs now. Spa pools, wow careful, risk of electrocution if not installed as per regulations, etc

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
292 Posts
I guess my point is only to say that in general gear is over-engineered deliberately to deal with the marginal and the stupid. No I've not seen plug in showers, but I've seen plenty of people install showers into existing ring mains rather than new circuits (um, correction now I think about it I did see a shower plugged in once, not in the UK though. It was rubbish.)

I've been forced to run our 3kw immersion heater off a 13A plug top (on an extension lead, too, hah!) as a temporary measure. You can bet I monitored it and didn't leave it on when we were out or in bed, but it never got hot enough to cause an issue either.

So to me the risks from charging a car at 2300W overnight on a standard ring main should be quite safe, and that's why they did it that way and didn't just ramp it straight up to 3000W and expect systems to deliver to spec, 24x7.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I guess my point is only to say that in general gear is over-engineered deliberately to deal with the marginal and the stupid. No I've not seen plug in showers, but I've seen plenty of people install showers into existing ring mains rather than new circuits (um, correction now I think about it I did see a shower plugged in once, not in the UK though. It was rubbish.)

I've been forced to run our 3kw immersion heater off a 13A plug top (on an extension lead, too, hah!) as a temporary measure. You can bet I monitored it and didn't leave it on when we were out or in bed, but it never got hot enough to cause an issue either.

So to me the risks from charging a car at 2300W overnight on a standard ring main should be quite safe, and that's why they did it that way and didn't just ramp it straight up to 3000W and expect systems to deliver to spec, 24x7.
HA!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey folks,

So I plugged in the car and it gives me around 8 mph of charging which isn't too bad. It doesn't over heat and the garage isn't on fire yet! Also the plug is cool when I keep checking.

Still waiting on my home charger to be installed, so granny is king at the moment ha!

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Hey folks,

So I plugged in the car and it gives me around 8 mph of charging which isn't too bad. It doesn't over heat and the garage isn't on fire yet! Also the plug is cool when I keep checking.

Still waiting on my home charger to be installed, so granny is king at the moment ha!

Cheers!
Remember to be gentle with your granny, treat her nicely as you are.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There is nothing about British ringmain circuits and BS1363 plugs which is overengineered. Quite the contrare.
Ring finals are a bodge. A post war copper shortage accommodation with built in ability to quietly ignore faults on one leg. Radials are far better.

in my experience most hot plugs are poor connections.

incorrectly tightened socket wires, cheap as chips sockets with poor spring contact, old hardly used garage sockets full of spiders and stuff affecting the mechanism that accepts the plug prongs, a fuse replaced with one found in a box already tarnished nicely. Anything that increases the resistance at a connection point.

for granny use I would swap the socket outlet for a new decent branded one as a matter of course (less than £5 for the item) and tighten the connections correctly inside it. If it’s a ring, have someone competent check it’s still a ring.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ring finals are a bodge. A post war copper shortage accommodation with built in ability to quietly ignore faults on one leg. Radials are far better.

in my experience most hot plugs are poor connections.

incorrectly tightened socket wires, cheap as chips sockets with poor spring contact, old hardly used garage sockets full of spiders and stuff affecting the mechanism that accepts the plug prongs, a fuse replaced with one found in a box already tarnished nicely. Anything that increases the resistance at a connection point.

for granny use I would swap the socket outlet for a new decent branded one as a matter of course (less than £5 for the item) and tighten the connections correctly inside it. If it’s a ring, have someone competent check it’s still a ring.
Nice advice and I might just do that. Just waiting on my home charger to be installed, I might sort this out in the meantime. Cheers!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts