1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
DS3 Etense 2020
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Happy New Year!

So I have noticed that rust has built up on my rear discs and whilst this is normally fine with a drive to clean them off, it hasn't.

The front discs had rust build and on a drive cleared up nicely but the rears remain in the same state. Should I be concerned? Anything I should do? Cheers, Ben.

Front NearSide

Rear NearSide

Front OffSide

Rear OffSide

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
Happy new year too. That is what I have found, first on the Ampera and then on the Tesla. It's basically due to lack of use with the regeneration used in slowing down. A suggestion is to use the brakes quite fiercely on a regular basis so that the rear brakes are engaged as well where it is safe to do so (In normal use the fronts do the most ofl the braking and so remain cleaner). Or if you can switch off the regen every so often so you need to use the brakes.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,917 Posts
Buy a car with drum brakes on the rear.
What, and suffer the brake shoes stick onto the inside of the drum and have to be prised off? ;):p:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Rear brake discs aren't used in car same level as the front they many only do about ~25% of the braking .

Nothing really to worry about. Brake a bit harder if you want to try and clear it.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Corsa-e
182 Posts
I'm not sure if it will help, but maybe try driving in reverse a bit, and brake a few times. I know that in my ICE car, the rear brakes squeak when driving in reverse (the shop said the pads are still fine). So I'm guessing that in reverse the rear brakes are used more.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
As most of the work is done by the fronts, you might need to do a few mock emergency stops on a quiet and clear road in order to work the rears hard enough to clear the rust.
I had the same on one of my old Leaf's. If you ever find yourself coming to red traffic light with no one around you, brake harder and later than normal to make sure that the rears need to do some work every now and again to stop things from building up.

·
Registered
DS3 Etense 2020
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Happy new year too. That is what I have found, first on the Ampera and then on the Tesla. It's basically due to lack of use with the regeneration used in slowing down. A suggestion is to use the brakes quite fiercely on a regular basis so that the rear brakes are engaged as well where it is safe to do so (In normal use the fronts do the most ofl the braking and so remain cleaner). Or if you can switch off the regen every so often so you need to use the brakes.
Thank you that is what I thought, ok I will need to do some emergency braking in a controlled manner then ;)

·
Registered
DS3 Etense 2020
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wicked thank you for the tips folks! I will wait for the roads to be a bit dryer here, we've had a bit of snow :) Happy New Year all :)

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
627 Posts
What, and suffer the brake shoes stick onto the inside of the drum and have to be prised off? ;):p:rolleyes:
Yep Zoe discussed on here with exactly that problem the other day:

Drums are rubbish, at least disks don’t seize!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts