Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about to purchase two EV's.. and am looking into charging both in my double garage. So ideally, i need a 7kw unit, with dual type 2 charging...

however, there doesn't seem to be any at decent cost from looking on google.. the USA has a clippercreek model, but they use different plugs.. Poodpoint seem to do one, but it seems more for commercial use.

how, have people on the forum gotten around the problem ? 0 Why haven't current manufacturers made one at decent cost. ?

I'm aware some units can load balance, and so you can have two units.. i recently asked Artisan electrics (he of youtube fame), for a quote for two Zappis,,, and
they quoted a totally ridiciousl £3,000 !!!!!

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Stonewashed Blue, Heatpump, Ankoya Alloys.
236 Posts
It doesn't seem a ridiculous quote as a single zappi installed is not far off £1500 depending who fits it.

As already said, do you need to charge both cars every night?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
The bigger question surely is, is the house supply upto it?
if you only have an 80amp main fuse then your unlikely to get an installer offering to install dual 7kw units as that 64amp pull for a good period doesnt leave much wiggle room in the house.. Say a 7kw shower turns on... thats you pushing 96amps straight away without any other load...

do you really need to pull 140kwh everynight (if both cars are capable of course) or would you be ok charging one at 3kw and the other at 7kw?

Ideally we need more info before we can advise on what may be your best course of action :)

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,700 Posts
Ideally we need more info before we can advise on what may be your best course of action
Usually, such plans revolve around a desire to charge both cars within a very limited overnight cheap tariff period. Which can then fall foul of attempts to also run dish and clothes washers as well as driers overnight, inside the same limited main fuse size.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Do you need to charge both cars at the same time? We have two EVs, do relatively high mileage, and haven't had to yet. We have two chargers out of necessity - one is Type 1 and the other Type 2 - they are both on their own 32A circuit, but share the garage's 50A supply - we can only therefore use one at a time, which hasn't caused any problems yet. The cars take turns charging at night.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.