Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New here so please be kind :)

I am looking at getting an EV on Motability and I believe Pod Point are the people who will install the EV charger.

Next Thursday I have Western Power coming out to do the following:

Following a site visit today it has been confirmed that a non urgent cut out change is required with 80 amp MF, due to old Series 4 Henley cut-out with metal clad base present/pilc service.
Doing some research today tho I read about needing a dual pole isolator between the meter and the consumer unit (as I have a very old push button consumer unit)

The property is rented and the landlord has no issues with an EV charger being fitted but refuses to upgrade the existing consumer unit to a new one, therefore the charger would need to go onto its own isolated fuse.

I do have an isolation switch after the tails leave the meter but again it is very old and I have no idea if it would be acceptable, and if not how I would get it changed.

Attached are pictures of the existing isolation switch, could someone please advise on what I need to do before I am ready for an EV charger to be installed.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
That looks like an RCD rather than an isolator. It’s probably required due to the supplier’s earthing system. It has a rated current of 60A so will need to be upgraded in line with the new maximum capacity of the supply. WPD should do that if it’s theirs although as it’s after the meter, it probably isn’t.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks like an RCD rather than an isolator. It’s probably required due to the supplier’s earthing system. It has a rated current of 60A so will need to be upgraded in line with the new maximum capacity of the supply. WPD should do that if it’s theirs although as it’s after the meter, it probably isn’t.
Thank you for the reply.

Seeing as WPD are coming out next Thursday to replace the main fuse from a 60A to a 80A would this then NEED to be removed as its a 60A RCD? Sorry for all the questions, I have emailed WPD (waiting on a reply), but there is a lot to try and understand haha.

If they say its nothing to do with them I assume I need to contact my supplier, which is Avro and they are a complete waste of space.

·
Registered
542 Posts
If WPD fit a 80A service fuse, the 60A device could be subject to overcurrent without protection so it would need to be changed.

AFAIK, you supplier has no responsibility for any of the equipment in the house. The incoming cable and cutout belong to the DNO (Western Power) and the meter belongs to the meter operator. I assume your supplier can instruct the meter operator to replace equipment.

Worst case, the RCD is customer side and belongs to the landlord.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If WPD fit a 80A service fuse, the 60A device could be subject to overcurrent without protection so it would need to be changed.

AFAIK, you supplier has no responsibility for any of the equipment in the house. The incoming cable and cutout belong to the DNO (Western Power) and the meter belongs to the meter operator. I assume your supplier can instruct the meter operator to replace equipment.

Worst case, the RCD is customer side and belongs to the landlord.
Thank you.

As you can see from below, the electrics in the house are very old. I suppose worse case i'll just have to go petrol instead.

I'll see what WPD say about it but it's not looking good. Thank you for all the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
That looks very much like a very, very ancient VOELCB, that is all probability no longer functions. These stopped being used around 40 years or more ago, so that one is long past it's sell by date. As it's a rented property, it MUST (by law) have had an EICR done recently, so that should have been flagged up by whoever did that. The main board has no proper RCD protection, so I'm amazed that it has actually passed an EICR.

My advice would be to ask yoiur landlord for a copy of the EICR, it will have been done within the past 12 months, given the changes in the law. It may be that your landlord hasn't complied with this law, I hate to say, or has paid money for a fake "drive by" EICR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That looks very much like a very, very ancient VOELCB, that is all probability no longer functions. These stopped being used around 40 years or more ago, so that one is long past it's sell by date. As it's a rented property, it MUST (by law) have had an EICR done recently, so that should have been flagged up by whoever did that. The main board has no proper RCD protection, so I'm amazed that it has actually passed an EICR.

My advice would be to ask yoiur landlord for a copy of the EICR, it will have been done within the past 12 months, given the changes in the law. It may be that your landlord hasn't complied with this law, I hate to say, or has paid money for a fake "drive by" EICR.
Thank you very much for the informative reply. I will get onto them. Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I assume at this point that even if a dual pole isolation switch was installed, PodPoint would still not want to come anywhere near the electrics like this?

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2021
99 Posts
I’m not sure, but you may actually need a 100Amp Dual Pole Isolation Switch, as the electrician fitting the Charger will need to safety isolate the power from the meter so he doesn’t have to work on a live system.
Looking at the state/age of that fuse box, I suspect they would want to fit a separate CU to supply the Pod Point, that’s if they even agree to work in that cupboard with that ancient electrical system.
The landlord should have had a rewire of that system long ago and needs to get it done ASAP.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
The law was changed to force all landlords to fix ancient systems like this, so that the risk to tenants was reduced. It's long been recognised that some parts of the rented sector have downright dangerous electrical installations.

The relevant legislation guidance is here: Guide for landlords: electrical safety standards in the private rented sector

You should have been aware of this inspection, as it generally takes around half a day or so, and requires access to the whole installation, in order to carry out the mandatory inspection and testing. I can say with certainty that your installation will have failed that inspection, just based on those photos. In all probability there is a much longer list of defects in the installation, based on its age and the probability that it's been fiddled with (as evidenced by the sticker suggesting that post-harmonisation alterations have been made to the installation).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts