Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro on way Mitsubishi Outlander just gone
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at ways that I could change my dumb Rolec 7.2kW charger into something more smart that can exploit the Octopus Agile tariff without spending too much time manually programming each evening. The unit is untethered so the Ohme cable looks like an obvious candidate but has anyone got any better alternatives that are worth a look?

·
Registered
397 Posts
How about selling the rolec (£200ish?), and replacing with a 32A Interlocked Commando Socket (about £30), and buying the commando version of the OHME. Your total outlay is minimised, as the dumb unit is of no real use to you. The other advantage is that the Commando version of the OHME can be taken with you and used at other locations (friends and family) that are able/willing to have a 32A socket fitted. 7kW versus the 2kW granny cable.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Shelly Switch is a great product, just a few pounds more than other offerings but it's open source and you can configure to use a website of your own choosing and not feed Amazon or some other data sucking enterprise.

shelly switch uk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are all great suggestions. If I can put the switch in that sounds like a really simple way to do it however I’ve just been looking at some great OHME reviews on YouTube so this is going to be a difficult call. Commando sockets would be an interesting way to go although I’m not sure I’d end up losing out on the socket re-installation costs.

·
Registered
ZOE GT Line R135 Z.E. 50 Rapid Charge, Mar '20
102 Posts
One issue with the Ohme cable is that because of the length of the handle and cable you may not have any slack to secure the smart gubbins;

·
Registered
45 Posts
I did photos and how to change a Rolec to a smart charger for £6.99 using a WiFi switch and using a free app to schedule timers.
See the post on here :--

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Baden thanks that thread is just what I was looking for. Almost a no brainer at that price to give that a go.

·
Registered
82 Posts
One issue with the Ohme cable is that because of the length of the handle and cable you may not have any slack to secure the smart gubbins;

View attachment 129192
Surely you’d be better off just losing that massive thing off the wall and hard wiring the Ohme in its place?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Baden thanks that thread is just what I was looking for. Almost a no brainer at that price to give that a go.
I've now been using it since posting the details\photos without any problems. With the app you can set up to 8 different repeated daily schedules. I just use two , on at 00:30 and off at 04:30. These are set to work every day. If the car isn't connected it doesn't matter, if it's connected and charged it won't matter. If I want to charge outside those times I just go into the app and press "on" , I then switch it off manually by the same method when I have enough charge for any planned short trip. it will still do a full charge overnight at the scheduled start time. Think the app EWelink has a demo mode you can use even before buying a Sonoff device.

·
Registered
99 Posts
have you actually worked out how much you will save? I bet it will take you 10 years to make back what you will save in electricity costs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wonder if someone could create a bit of code using the Octopus API to make a switch that automatically works for you. Something like a raspberry pi attached to a switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At the moment I’m going to try the WiFi switch, anything that would enhance performance after that like the pi would be interesting if it was simple to integrate .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've now installed the switch, very easy, took about 20 mins and as Baden said, the scheduling is simple either through the app or with Alexa. Not that there's much charging to do currently...….

·
Registered
45 Posts
Glad it worked ok for you. I find it easy and it doesn't matter if schedule switches it on and if car doesn't need charge it still won't tell the relay in the charger to switch on.
There's also a log in the settings on the app where you can see when it's been on\off.
The timer takes a bit of getting your head round but maybe that's just me. Only use that occasionally if I want an ad hoc short charge during the day on the more expensive tariff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has any experience/ideas of adding a WiFi switch to a 7kw Pod-Point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
did a quick search and there is a post relating to it here :--

Don't know what the conclusion was or the success of any suggestions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts