Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
That looks great thanks. I was wondering if there was a version where the supply to the whole pod point could be broken with a 32a WiFi switch rather than opening up the Pod-Point itself. I’m no electronics expert!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a bad idea. You could end up switching off the podpoint whilst it's charging, breaking a 32amp current will cause arcing and sparks and possible damage to the electronics in the pod point or car.
The system is designed for the car or evse to signal its shutting down and allow the car to ramp down to zero before opening the contactor so preventing sparks etc.

Reactions: jmacneil

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
@baden I was replying to this question
This is a bad idea. You could end up switching off the podpoint whilst it's charging, breaking a 32amp current will cause arcing and sparks and possible damage to the electronics in the pod point or car.
The system is designed for the car or evse to signal its shutting down and allow the car to ramp down to zero before opening the contactor so preventing sparks etc.
Actually cutting the feed to the Contactor in the Rolec is as bad. You should switch the CP line - the correct circuit to do this was presented by @Jeremy Harris. The wifi switch goes in the CP line and switches in a resistance. This shuts down the charger in the car without trying to potentially to break a 32 Amp current flow.

Reactions: Jeremy Harris

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Switching it on is not the problem as the EVSE starts up, you see this when you turn on. Its the off that is the problem, currently you wait for charging to finish then turn off. Would you turn off whilst the car is charging? That breaking of the 32A current will cause arcing and may damage the car..
I doubt the keyswitch actually breaks the current as that would give the switch a very short life! It would be useful to find out just what the keyswitch controls. it may be the electronics and if your lucky does not really turn off the chargepoint but instructs the car to shutdown.
If it just turns off the evse, ie cuts power to the electronics then if the car is charging it opens the contactor with current flowing and will cause arcing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts