Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

It would be handy to have two charging locations installed for ordered EV. Only one in use at a time. The car has smart charging capability controlled via app to pick time of day etc.

So, given this, would it make sense to install two 32A commando sockets...
Industrial Socket IP67 240V 32A 3P Switched 2P+E

www.toolstation.com
www.toolstation.com

Then purchase two smart cables for overload protection etc. like this..
EV Charging Cable | Type 2 to 32A Commando | 7.2 kW | 5 Metre | Mode 2 |

Instead of buying two smart chargers, that I won’t be using the smart aspect of anyway?

I appreciate any guidance on this, Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi Steve. That's a timely post, as I've got to think about my installation (£1500 cost minus grant). Can't offer advice, but will be interested to hear what others say.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Hi

It would be handy to have two charging locations installed for ordered EV. Only one in use at a time. The car has smart charging capability controlled via app to pick time of day etc.

So, given this, would it make sense to install two 32A commando sockets...
Industrial Socket IP67 240V 32A 3P Switched 2P+E

www.toolstation.com
www.toolstation.com

Then purchase two smart cables for overload protection etc. like this..
EV Charging Cable | Type 2 to 32A Commando | 7.2 kW | 5 Metre | Mode 2 |

Instead of buying two smart chargers, that I won’t be using the smart aspect of anyway?

I appreciate any guidance on this, Thanks, Steve
Interesting idea. You may struggle to get an electrician to install 2x32A circuits in a house though (I'm assuming we are talking about a house, and that both sockets would be installed in the same house). Although you don't plan to use them simultaneously it is possible to, which would eat up 64A. Depending on your main fuse size and what else you have switched on you could blow the main fuse.
The electrician may need DNO approval first, and if they do allow the install to proceed, they may require a load management system, such as found on Zappi and Podpoint chargepoints, ruling out the commando option.

We have 2x32A chargepoints, but I had to pay the DNO about £80 to come and upgrade the house fuse from 80A to 100A first. Also, the second chargepoint is a Zappi, which monitors the incoming cable and will reduce the charging rate if it sees the total house load getting near 100A.

Basically you need to talk to qualified electrician who understands EV charging.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Roger

Thanks for the reply, and helpful advice yes it would be for one house. One by garage, one by house.

100A upgrade request already in. Looks like it might be more convenient to go for single charge point for now.

cheers, Steve

·
Registered
BMW i3
2,125 Posts
Just FYI, we recently started looking at installing the Easee Home Charge Robot charge point. As well as RCD/Wifi/4G/RFID built-in it has wireless load balancing, so you can have up to 3 charge points on a cable and they will talk to each other to load balance. Pretty neat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts