Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've moved house and had to start using my Duosida 3 pin charger for my Chevrolet Volt. I've used it intermittently before with no problems.

Anyway car charged fine last night (didn't rain). Put the cable in the boot, got back this afternoon and as soon as I plugged the car in the RCD tripped.

Looked at the cable and where the LEDs show through I could see condensation. So I removed the bottom 2 screws and a small pool of water fell out! No idea how that got in, it's supposed to be waterproof (IP55) and it didn't rain last night!

Anyway I've got the bottom 2 screws out, removed the screw on cable caps but I cant find any others and the unit won't open, I can lever the bottom apart a little bit. Does anyone know how to get these fully open so I can give it a chance to dry?

Thanks

·
Registered
866 Posts
I bet it will be under that label.

I don't think there's any need to open it further, though. Just put a couple of matches in the gap you already created and leave it in the airing cupboard for a few nights.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like to get a fully open so I can make sure it's bone dry. I'll try the label now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you are right, the only place I can see they could possibly be. Going to have a play with it and see if I can get the hanging bracket off.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,442 Posts
Probably unlikely as it needs to be well sealed but I have seen a fitment where the cable gland screw fitting was split in two and the nut held both parts together as well as tightening the cable seal.

·
Registered
436 Posts
My Zappi v1 had wet contacts. You could see it turning blue. The problem was the the rubber cover wasn’t a snug fit. It was collecting rainwater as it run off the cable.

Contacted MyEnergi who have sent new cable incl holster. Waiting for the original installer to arrange changing it over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts