Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's nearly a year since I got my Leaf, and today, the DVLA sent me a reminder to get my vehicle tax.

Yes, they know I don't need to pay.
Yes, they know it's fully electric.

They even tell me that I cannot elect to pay £0 by Direct Debit, but I can pay by cheque or cash at the post office.

I guess the only use for them sending out such paperwork for electric vehicles is just in case someone wants to declare the vehicle SORN (which makes me wonder why anyone would want to), and it proves to them that somebody that responds to physical post at that address is still interested in correctly registering the vehicle, and their records are up to date.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The system will check that you have a valid MOT (if needed) and insurance - if you don't then it won't let you "tax" the vehicle

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The system will check that you have a valid MOT (if needed) and insurance - if you don't then it won't let you "tax" the vehicle
But I think you still need the renewal notice that was posted to you. If nothing else, it's checking that the address on your registration document is valid.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The DVLA could do any of the automated bits first (the insurance check, the MOT check), before they decide to spend money sending out reminders, but as I said, the only real reason for any of this is to make sure that someone is making sure the DVLA records are still accurate, and that a human is still alive and responding to post at the registered address.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would imagine the system is in place for when/if they do actually charge tax on BEV's. Might be cheaper in the long run to send out £0 forms than to have a new system built to start charging. Just a guess though.

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
This is the same as I've had on classic cars for years. At least now you can opt to pay the £0 fee online; I used to have to go into the post office with all the relevant docs.
Agreed. What amused me was that the DVLA asked if I wanted a 6 month or 12 month free tax for my classic car. Hmmm let me consider that for a nanosecond.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts