Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the ever reliable Tesla Bjørn:

Not sure how dangerous this really is as he's demoing it on ice but the car definitely gives you all the warnings to suggest your insurance company won't be happy if you crash while using it.

Use with caution and not on a public road.

In any case: Dev Mode. :rolleyes: Software developers

·
Registered
130 Posts
There's already once instance in video of a driver doing a 180 into a ditch but lucky for them fairly light contact to a chain fence. Not for the inexperienced especially with a fair amount of weight moving a round.

I might put my car on a friends dyno this week but unlike my many previous car projects this isn't really going to prove anything to me as it's standard. EVs tend to a little harder to strap down with the smooth undersides plus the dyno software is setup to read an engine RPM @ 60 mph to plot the graphs so yo have to mess around with wheel and final drive ratios.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Most cars when you "disable" traction control it's still there, because people are stupid. In this case it appears to completely disable traction control (as well as ABS), meaning the car will be lethal to drive for all but the most competent driver.
So this looks like it might be a giggle on the track, but really shouldn't be used on the road, even for the "I always turn off traction control" mob.
I've seen the one video, but now you don't need to un-plug a wheel speed sensor I'm expecting a whole lot of people to "have a go" and smash their cars up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tested this a little bit on a gravel surface this afternoon. From Bjorns video he makes it sound like the pedal response might be changed but pedal vs torque feels just the same, it's not like you get a binary pedal response and the steering rate is good. Did exactly what you'd expect a rear wheel drive car to do. Calling it 'funmode' would be irresponsible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts