Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,913 Posts
None of these articles ever talk about Nissan or Renault? It's always Tesla and the German manufacturers but never the people that have built and sold hundreds and thousands of EVs.
They did manage to take a swipe at JLR without mentioning the iPace.

·
Registered
911 Posts
They're going the opposite way of FF then. One has a prototype available years before they start building the factory, the other has never built anything that looks even remotely like a car but is starting to build a factory.

On the other hand, I haven't managed to find where the £2 billion factory is to be built, so I'm not that sure about the "moving ahead".

·
Registered
625 Posts
They're going the opposite way of FF then. One has a prototype available years before they start building the factory, the other has never built anything that looks even remotely like a car but is starting to build a factory.

On the other hand, I haven't managed to find where the £2 billion factory is to be built, so I'm not that sure about the "moving ahead".
Dyson is a smart guy ...

Possibly he has some innovative idea about EV, so to show a prototype in advance it may give advantage to the "competitors"

So far Dyson did address the "rich" customers ... but still their products are affordable for everybody (I have 3 Dyson product at home, and I'm very happy with them) ... I hope they will not target the same customer as Tesla, FF, Porsche, Fisker, etc ... there are plenty of expensive and advanced EV ... affordable EV is what is missing in the market now

·
Registered
836 Posts
Dyson Ltd., best known for its vacuum cleaners and hand dryers, is charging ahead with a 2-billion-pound (US$2.6 billion) push to start building electric cars, unveiling plans to turn a former airfield into a vehicle-testing site.

The technology center at the former Hullavington Airfield in England will bring the British manufacturer’s investment to 200 million pounds to create engineering work spaces and over 10 miles of test tracks, the Sheffield-based company said Thursday in a statement. Dyson outlined its plans a year ago.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Dyson gears up for electric car testing says:
Sir James Dyson, 71, is yet to reveal any details about his electric car and no prototype has been built.

However, it is expected to be aimed at the upper end of the market, will have "some" driverless features and may not even look like a conventional vehicle, he told GQ magazine earlier this month: "What we're doing is quite radical."

The hints suggest Dyson's vehicle is more likely to rival Elon Musk's electric carmaker Tesla than the likes of Toyota or Volkswagen.

It remains unclear where Dyson plans to build its electric car.
So I take it as not affordable to everybody, and prototype not being hidden, but instead just not existing.

@Seamus 200M technology center, not 2G factory. I don't understand what links the 2 quotes you provide there, but the second doesn't answer my doubt at all.

·
CTiD
398 Posts
The 2 Sqn Rock Apes who used to frequent those hangars will turning in their graves.... "What's wrong with One Tonnies and Scorpions?" the'll be saying

I know of at least one prominent Tesla UK guy that moved to Dyson so he is hiring some good people....

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On top of aiming for the high end of the market, the cars will apparently use solid state batteries, which are not even available yet let alone in mass production, so will be very expensive, presuming he's actually got them to work at the right spec, something the other developers of solid state batteries are still working on and say it will be years before they are available, apart from Fisker that's been bragging theirs is 'nearly ready', whatever 'nearly' means, as for car production 'nearly' could still mean years.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
I've heard that Dyson makes far more money out of his huge agricultural land holdings than his technology business. He's one of the UK's largest landowners. He also puts in large undeliverable planning applications for his business from time to time to keep the local planners on their toes. When they rightly refuse he uses that as an excuse to outsource manufacturing - something he would have done anyway.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Could I ask what they are ?

I've always found Dyson products to be over priced and underwhelming, rather like Apple, style over substance.
When we used to visit our clients I sometimes noticed a Dyson cleaner tucked away and would ask the Housekeeper about them. Mostly they would say rubbish and be using some other make.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts