Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Vapourware - they want to sell their (probably over-engineered) drivetrain to an OEM. IMO this PR is a response to William's EV chassis.

Unless they buy an OEM (Aston Martin, perhaps?) in the next couple of months, or sign an agreement with someone like Magna Steyr, then this one can be parked up right next to the Apple car.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
From the Telegraph but available on other news sources
Excerpt

Dyson has unveiled plans to develop and build its own electric car by 2020, gatecrashing the existing market and promising to hire hundreds of people in the UK.

Sir James Dyson confirmed the long-rumoured plans, promising to invest £2bn of the company’s money to build a “radical” motor from scratch over the next few years.

I hope they are successful, for two reasons.
1. Because they deserve to be for having the b**** to do this.
2. Because if successful it will send shivers of fear through the laggard auto manufacturers endlessly producing their fantastic concept cars but either no BEVs or suboptimal BEVs (new leaf for example), or those (yes Totota and Mazda I'm looking at you) always promising something later or never.

This is because we are at a time when the existing industry could be blown away by entirely new vendors without any need to have the skills and background that gives incumbents such a large advantage in ICE. This hasnt happened before, and by acting as a cartel theyve been able to slow the progress by many years, even if the end result, death of ICE, is still inevitable.

Toyota, welcome to your Kodak moment !

·
Registered
92 Posts
Let's hope they aren't going down the same route as with desk fans - trying to argue that people will pay £250 for better technology rather than £10 for a conventional desk fan.
They have said it won't be a sports car and it won't be cheap - anyone for £250K Ford Fiesta replacement?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Vapourware - they want to sell their (probably over-engineered) drivetrain to an OEM. IMO this PR is a response to William's EV chassis.
They are serious. If you work in the industry you've known what they've been upto for a while. Bit of an arms race between them JLR and McLaren as they're all after similar engineers.
I look forward to their over engineering - their product design is excellent.

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Unless they buy an OEM (Aston Martin, perhaps?) in the next couple of months, or sign an agreement with someone like Magna Steyr, then this one can be parked up right next to the Apple car.
It's been a good half hour and no-one in the press has labelled this a Tesla Killer. It must be real.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
This:

It will be called the Dyson "Vortex"
There will be three trim levels.
Vortex one, Vortex two and the premium 'Vortex Velum'
As mentioned "he promised that they will not be cheap."
4WD
4WS
Fully antonymous without any obvious driving controls offering driving from any of the 6 standard seats.
Batteries will be hot plug.
Platooning will be standard.
Data and usage patterns automatically uploaded to DVLA for VED billing per mile.
Prosecution mitigation insurance for driver less or undisclosed driver related speeding disputes underwritten by Dyson
Optional emergency accident avoidance package including passenger ejection systems.
Colour schemes aligned with current domestic cleaning products.
Planned roll out of 36,750 'DynoDyso' 250KW Charging Station across the UK and Isle of White

HTH

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
They are serious. If you work in the industry you've known what they've been upto for a while. Bit of an arms race between them JLR and McLaren as they're all after similar engineers.
I look forward to their over engineering - their product design is excellent.
I know they have been working on this for a while. However, building factories and new supply chains takes a while, and even though Dyson can leverage some of their existing supply chains, they will not be reinventing things like windscreens or braking systems.

Tesla's gigafactory broke ground in May 2014 - almost 3 years before the first cells were produced. This was after years of planning. JLR's engine factory took around 6 years to plan and build before the first Ingenium engine rolled off the line.

No way Dyson can do that in 2 years.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,349 Posts
No way Dyson can do that in 2 years.
Isn't that along the same lines as Lutz said about Tesla?

That being said, I would say it is a bit premature to say 'we've got a motor, all we have to do is add batteries (... and the rest of the car)'.

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Isn't that along the same lines as Lutz said about Tesla?

That being said, I would say it is a bit premature to say 'we've got a motor, all we have to do is add batteries (... and the rest of the car)'.
...and Tesla have been very late with all their cars. Not complaining but it's a reality of starting from scratch.

A bit like Faraday Future saying they are 2 years from delivering a car when they haven't even built a factory.

·
Registered
206 Posts
1 - 20 of 82 Posts