Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
If all cars were 5 star though, how would you know which is actually better?

And what do you want? A car that will avoid an accident or withstand an accident?
The number of stars relates in part to how well the car stands up to impact damage during EuroNCAP crash tests.

Details of each report can be found with pics via Google.

For example, EuroNCAP awarded the MG ZS threes stars partly after finding significant injuries could be caused to rear seat passengers.

This sort of thing is of critical importance to most given who normally occupies that space.

Most new cars these days are deliberately manufactured to achieve 5 stars as makers realise this is one deciding factor for most car buyers.

There seems no excuse for not achieving all 5 stars.

·
evezy referral code d6540
1,062 Posts
Most new cars these days are deliberately manufactured to achieve 5 stars as makers realise this is one deciding factor for most car buyers.
Not too sure about that. I wonder if you asked people who had just bought a new car, how many of them would be able to tell you what the EuroNCAP score of that car is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The number of stars relates in part to how well the car stands up to impact damage during EuroNCAP crash tests.

Details of each report can be found with pics via Google.

For example, EuroNCAP awarded the MG ZS threes stars partly after finding significant injuries could be caused to rear seat passengers.

This sort of thing is of critical importance to most given who normally occupies that space.

There seems no excuse for not achieving all 5 stars.
The 4 star rating for the e208 is due to the brake sensor not detecting well bike and pedestrian. It is an issue only on base model, on premium model like the GT the sensor are improved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
And you know that how? Source please?
Sorry it is a french source. https://www.caradisiac.com/nouvelle-peugeot-208-seulement-quatre-etoiles-au-crash-test-euro-ncap-179049.htm

What the article says is this :
The 208 lose its 5th star on the protection of the pedestrian part. It only got 56% against 72% for the Clio. The issue is due to the shape of the 208 on the front in case of pedestrian collision (really flat) and also due to the equipment. The emergency braking on the base model can detect pedestrian but cannot detect bicycles.

The 208 will get 5 star with the GT Line because of the safety plus pack including video and radar for a better detection.

Other scores :
  • 91% for adult protection
  • 86% for children protection

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I expect any new car has a better safety rating then a car a few years old would get on the same test. Do you refuse to travel in any car that is not new?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I expect any new car has a better safety rating then a car a few years old would get on the same test. Do you refuse to travel in any car that is not new?
Not a fair comparison. We’re talking about actually buying brand new cars. Crash test / safety results are definitely a key factor for many when choosing a new car. Hence most manufacturers spend fortunes designing cars that go way beyond government basic requirements.

I wouldn’t rule out a 208 because of the missing “city brake” (The lunatic price did that), but I certainly wouldn’t go near the MG ZS.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Has anybody heard anything else from their local dealership? Since getting a (ridiculous) PCP quote at the end of August I've heard nothing. I thought they should be getting demo cars in the showrooms by now?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anybody heard anything else from their local dealership? Since getting a (ridiculous) PCP quote at the end of August I've heard nothing. I thought they should be getting demo cars in the showrooms by now?
In France we don’t have any electric at the dealers, but they are doing a France tour to test the e208, the date can be booked online. So i guess the e208 will arrive later this year at the dealers.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Nope, never rang me back. I called and even popped in to my allocated dealer and they never got back to me. A couple of weeks ago I had a call from Peugeot central asking how I was getting on and I told them that the dealer never gets back to me and I was thinking of pulling my deposit. The man who called me apologised and said that I could get my deposit back by logging in on line! Thats it; no help, no encouragement to stay or find another dealer, or even give me a quote... just "thanks, but good bye".

Obviously they have too many people lined up to buy one, so they obviously don't care.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Perhaps the following are true?
  • car manufacturers are deliberately holding back delivery until 2020 because cars will then count against the target they have to achieve under whatever the piece of ( Euro?) legislation.
  • car manufacturers don’t make money on EVs and won’t until battery prices come down / supply improves ( Tesla have supply / have no alternative; Toyota are sticking with profitable hybrids; Peugeot etc are dipping toes in water with gradual move into plug ins including full EVs and hybrids)
So if the above points are correct, it would explain why VW (who need the ID to be a success) Peugeot, Hyundai, Kia etc have waiting lists that stretch into next year. They must work on the basis they need more deposits / preliminary orders than they can satisfy because they will get drop out from their lists due to frustration, boredom, multiple deposits etc.
If you are a dealer you need to continue trying to sell ICE cars to stay in the game. You also don’t want the hassle of dealing with EV deposit holders at least until you get a demonstrator.
Manufacturers must also be worried about Governments pulling subsidies which will happen as soon as the number of sales move from being a low percentage of sales. Prices for EVs are still high in comparison to ICE ones and the removal of subsidies would make them higher or hit profits further.

We are experiencing a massive transition and waiting lists are just one of the Impacts. For customers I guess the best we can do is carefully pick the EV that best meets our needs, put a deposit down and wait patiently for it to arrive. Eventually, the transition will reach the point when you can walk into a showroom/ go on line and order an EV that will come within a few weeks. But not sure that will happen for two to three years or more.

161 - 173 of 173 Posts