Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking forward to the sunnier weather like that of today, and for the e-208 to fill nicely to max with our large solar install (done in 2 stages over 2 years after DNO approval for the second part) with Tesla storage battery, and brilliant Zappi v2 charger.

No problems with our BMW i3 charging using this set up, but for the second time today, I noticed that when the e-208 is charging with full solar energy, when the sun goes behind a cloud, there is of course a drop in solar input in to the car via the Zappi, but when the sun comes back out again and goes to max-6kW+ going in to the car, it trips out with a fault recording on the Zappi screen "Overload! 11.0A" or similar amp level, I then have to unplug the car, re-set the Zappi and then it charges again until the same process happens again (with bright sun, dim cloud, and bright sun cycle, causing another "short circuit")

When the car is trickle charging at a steady rate from the Tesla battery at 1.4kW, or it seems from solar on a bright cloudless day, there are no problems, and indeed when it is fast charging at steadyish 7.0- 7.3kW from the grid, no problems.
This is a specific scenario involving this set of equipment, for me, I understand, but wondering if anybody else has seen something similar with their e-208s, e-2008s or e-Corsa or other PSA cars which have the same battery set up?

Have spoken with the Zappi tech team who asked me to keep an eye on things. Is there some sort of charging update required on the e-208? I hope it may solve this issue.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It might be worth playing with some of the compatibility settings on the Zappi. There may be some setting hidden in the advanced menu which is responsible.

·
Registered
849 Posts
How big is your PV. After coming out from behind a cloud the PV gets a large boost particularly in this cold panel weather, perhaps the order of 0.5 kw. Could this push it over the 7kw perhaps ? Probably the Zappi has not been tested much in the area of 7kw + from PV alone.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had a play through the menus of the Zappi today after reading their (myEnergi) trouble shooting guide. I was hoping it may have been a "Device Limit" setting in the Advanced Menu set to low ampere rating but alas no. It was set correctly at 31.8A. Or the "Grid Limit" setting but again that was set correctly at 80A which is the house maximum.
Have emailed myEnergi to see if they have any thoughts.
Interestingly today it was a gorgeous sunny and CLOUDLESS day and the e-208 charged beautifully and without complaint but the max I received via solar was about 6.4kW (from 2pm) and this gradually reduced until about 5pm when we unplugged the car.
The i3 was on charge before that and could take the max 7.3kW of solar generation (peaks between 11.30am and 12.30pm!) without issue. I suspect it is something to do with the e-208. On similar days in future I will just set the Zappi to Fast Charge so it sticks at 7.2kW or so, which will use the panels and a bit of the Tesla battery when needed, if the sun goes behind a cloud. Th e-208 seems to be ok when charging is at a constant rate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts