Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an E-Corsa on order as a Company Car due for delivery in May 2020.
I have had a email from the fleet company saying:

Further to your recent order for the Vauxhall Corsa-e, the dealership have advised us that at the time the order was quoted the only available vehicle was the Corsa-e with the 11kw charger. However since this time they have received this communication from the manufacturer which advises there will be significant delays on vehicles ordered with the 11kw charger.
No estimated delivery dates have been advised yet.
Due to this the default position is that vehicles will be ordered with a 7.4 kw charger.
Could you please confirm as soon as possible whether or not this will be acceptable to you? If you do wish to proceed with the 11kw charger they must place the order with the factory no later than Friday 06/12/19 to ensure the original price is honoured; a price increase is due from 06/12/19 and they have not yet been advised what the new list price for the charger will be.

I was only expecting to have a 7.4 kw charger at home anyway (as I don't have a 3 phase supply), so is this really an issue for me.
What are the downsides? I will still be able to DC rapid charge at the Motorway Services?
I work on some site where I can plug in whilst I'm working before the long journey home, if these are 11kW will I not be able to charge at all or just at the slower rate?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm a total noob.
Thanks in advance
Christian

·
Striving for a greener planet
245 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it mate. 7 kW is more than adequate. Even those that have bigger battery packs find it fine, Teslas for example.
You'll still be able to rapid charge and use any post out there.
In the real world you generally only AC charge at home or staying overnight somewhere as it's more hassle than it's worth on shorter trips.
You'll have to come back and tell us what you think of it. I really like the looks of it and may be a replacement for or Zoe in the future

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
As above I wouldn't be bothered. Whilst the 11kW onboard AC would be nice, it wouldn't actually impact me much on a day to day basis.

Remember the 11kW rate is the maximum peak rate. The battery temperature and the state of charge of the battery will dictate how much charge the car will actually draw. If you do happen to charge at a AC post that charges higher than 7kW, the real world difference isn't likely to be large, as the 2.5hr saving quoted is based on low state of charge, and optimal battery temp. In reality, the battery is likely to be colder and your likely to charge from a higher state of charge, so the difference will be much less.

You will still be able to use those higher rates AC posts, and it won't affect your DC charging rates.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Also, interested to hear your thoughts! I was quite surprised at the level of discounts on it for private purchasers, so hope they enter the used market in a couple of years at a good price!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much for the quick replies, I feel much better about responding to the fleet company now.
and I'll let you know how I get on with the E-Corsa when it arrives, hopefully in May 2020.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Do you get a useful drop in price for accepting the 7kW version ? If not, surely this is a bait and switch ?
They originally said 11kW 3-phase because that's apparently common in German houses to power saunas etc.
Very few here have domestic 3-phase power, and I think it's actually on the options list instead of standard equipment anyway.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Do we know what the 11 kW charger can charge at if connected to a single phase UK 7 kW EVSE? I rather suspect it might only run at 3.6 kW if that 11 kW is actually 3x3.6 kW modules with one-per-phase for EU use. Would need some extra smarts in there to detecxt there's only a single phase coming in, so please reconnect a 2nd module in parallel to the first to increase it to 7 kW.

If it's a simple item & can only use 1/3 of the hardware when on single phase supply, then the 11 kW one is surely not a lot of use here in UK, as you'ld be Rapid charging on long trips anyway.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
They originally said 11kW 3-phase because that's apparently common in German houses to power saunas etc.
Very few here have domestic 3-phase power, and I think it's actually on the options list instead of standard equipment anyway.
How common 3 phase is in UK homes is not really the point. My question is if someone ordered the car and it was originally listed as having 11kW charging, and the dealer says there is a long wait, but you can get a 7kW version sooner, will they drop the price. Otherwise it's bait and switch if you're expected to pay the same price for a lower spec...

Also keep in mind that there is plenty of 11kW and 22kW AC public charging in some parts of the UK - it's very common in Scotland where most AC posts are 11kW or 22kW so you could make good use of it if you were charging while shopping etc, and for someone who doesn't have any home charging 11kW vs 7kW during their weekly shopping could be a big deal.

·
Premium Member
10,183 Posts
Do we know what the 11 kW charger can charge at if connected to a single phase UK 7 kW EVSE?
Based on ~7hrs to charge (from brochure) we can deduce it will use 7kW.

I expect the 3x16A unit is a volume item bought in by many OEMs and it designed to switch the modules as necessary. It may even be a worldwide unit with 48A capability for USA market.

Perhaps demand for that unit is exceeding supply and they are sourcing single phase 32A units for RHD cars. Or perhaps a cost saving approach.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I suspect 7 KW is usally just 6.6KW rounded up its not too disimmilar to the rounding up and down that everyone used to do with enigne cc sizes

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I suspect 7 KW is usally just 6.6KW rounded up its not too disimmilar to the rounding up and down that everyone used to do with enigne cc sizes
240v x 32 amps = 7.68kW
230v x 32 amps = 7.36kW

Perfectly possible to achieve if your charge point and car both support 32 amps. Some 7kW charge points are limited to 30 amps however:

240v x 30 amps = 7.2kW
230v x 30 amps = 6.9kW

The 6.6kW figure will relate to the limitation of a specific model of car, not of the Type 2 charging system, as naturally not all cars will draw a full 32 amps or even 30, and will err on the side of being conservative.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I've had another look at the configurator page. It now offers a choice of 7kW or 11kW AC charger.
If you go for 11kW just be sure that it can still do 7kW on single phase as it's likely, but not guaranteed depending on the design of the charger.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Only if the power factor is 1.0, which is unlikely.
Do we have any figures on the power factor of the AC onboard charger of typical EV's though ? As far as I know most (including my Ion) have power factor correction circuitry in the power supply...

These are not your cheap and cheerful PC power supplies. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts