Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Airbus and Rolls Royce cancled their E-Fan X project.

E-Fan X was a technology demonstrator and testbed for hybrid electric aircraft. It was due to fly by the end of this year.

Based on a BAe-146, the E-Fan X had one engine replaced with an electric turbine. On board batteries and turbine generator provided power for the electric motor.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Airbus and Rolls Royce cancled their E-Fan X project.

E-Fan X was a technology demonstrator and testbed for hybrid electric aircraft. It was due to fly by the end of this year.

Based on a BAe-146, the E-Fan X had one engine replaced with an electric turbine. On board batteries and turbine generator provided power for the electric motor.

View attachment 130224
Shame - but not surprising, given the financial stress both organisations must be experiencing with the bottom dropping out of the aviation market. Disappointing that it's described as "cancelled" rather than "paused".

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
5,033 Posts
I’m sure it’ll be back once Rolls Royce is confident that there’s a market for it.

The concern is that development projects such as this take a back seat as investment dries up and companies understandably fight for survival and fall back on what works and is profitable now.

So, more of the same thinking and behaviour then.

·
Super Moderator
12,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cancled implies it won't be coming back. The engineers involved will either be made redunant or moved to other projects.

I wouldn't be surprised if they scrap the airframe.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,345 Posts
Sadly I think that you are right. I'll bet that there was some government research money in there somewhere (our money actually) and we should ask if this is not exactly what we need to support for our high-tech industrial future.

R-R represent one of the few companies that are actually "world leading" in UK. As are Airbus but I can see us splitting away from them next year.

As an aside, you'd get an impressive amount of regen out of electric airliner engines descending from 37000 feet!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts