Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I perhaps should have asked for experience of this before I ordered my new E-Golf, but I'll ask anyway.
What are peoples experience of battery degradation in either the 1st or 2nd gen E-Golf?
And how would you tell without any obvious indications I can see, other than if you have a very consistent driving pattern and can tell from the indicated range when fully charged?
My commute is not at the very extreme of range (90 miles, 50/50 dual carraige and fast A roads so it might be close in winter) but just wondering how long I can realistically keep my car and continue to get to work and back on a single charge.
I also understand that it does depend on how the battery is treated WRT charging regimes etc.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Nobody knows but looking around and listening to all the battery info i would conclude longer than the 8yr/100k mls warranty. Even if not it just means that for a few days a year you have to go slower (which you probably would do anyway) and not turn the heating up so much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks KenB, some reassurance then. There appears to be little info around on this when you compare to available evidence of early leaf battery degradation concerns.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Thanks KenB, some reassurance then. There appears to be little info around on this when you compare to available evidence of early leaf battery degradation concerns.
The Leaf has detailed information regarding battery capacity, but actually that tends to make owners even more paranoid. We know the Golf has lots of excess capacity at the top and bottom end of the battery; you won’t actually charge it to 100% and it won’t discharge to 0%. This puts a lot less stress on the battery.

It’s best to stop worrying about it. There are a few obvious things, such as not leaving it at ‘zero’ for weeks at a time. Some say the occasional rapid charge actually helps the battery, but repeated rapid charging causes the battery to heat up which is harmful.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I'm going to pick a ( friendly ) debate here as it's always confused me

There are a few obvious things, such as not leaving it at ‘zero’ for weeks at a time.

But it's not zero, as you say VW don't let you play with the full capacity.
Therefore an empty e Golf battery is not really empty, say 10% left actually in it.
Therefore if you took the advice of not leaving it at customer 0%, maybe left it at 10% of the customer available, then that's 15% ? of the actual real
So what is the behaviour benefit of it being at 15% actual real vs 10% actual real ?

Same argument for those saying don't leave the car "full". Well you never can.
So why not have it at 95% of actual, why have you to have it no more than 90% actual real ?

And in any case with a BEV you're hardly likely to park up at 0% customer as you would need nerves of steel to arrive home at 0% in a BEV. ...........vs daily/weekly in a PHEV !

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'm going to pick a ( friendly ) debate here as it's always confused me

There are a few obvious things, such as not leaving it at ‘zero’ for weeks at a time.

But it's not zero, as you say VW don't let you play with the full capacity.
Therefore an empty e Golf battery is not really empty, say 10% left actually in it.
Therefore if you took the advice of not leaving it at customer 0%, maybe left it at 10% of the customer available, then that's 15% ? of the actual real
So what is the behaviour benefit of it being at 15% actual real vs 10% actual real ?

Same argument for those saying don't leave the car "full". Well you never can.
So why not have it at 95% of actual, why have you to have it no more than 90% actual real ?

And in any case with a BEV you're hardly likely to park up at 0% customer as you would need nerves of steel to arrive home at 0% in a BEV. ...........vs daily/weekly in a PHEV !
It’s only a factor when the car isn’t used for a long time, then it’s suggested the batteries are left at 50-80%.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I spoke to an early e-Golf owner this afternoon. He hasn't owned the car from new but it the 18 months he's owned the car he's seeing 2 miles less range.

We've only had our e-Golf for 6.5 months and I've been checking the usable battery capacity with the obdeleven app. When we first had it ours was showing 31.9kWh, after 6 weeks I recorded 32.9kWh but the last few times I checked it was showing 30.9kWh when full.
I'm not reading to much into this yet, I know the leaf shows a lower battery capacity during the summer and it climbs slightly during autumn into winter from my readings on leafspy and from what others have posted on speakev. Over the next couple of months I'll be checking again to see where our settled at.
I have had my battery at very low state of charge about 5 times, the lowest was 3 miles left on the GOM, and we charge it to 100% most nights as my wife drives a lot of miles, we're over 13000 miles already. I don't know if this affects it but we will see as the time goes on.
Today my wife has driven about 80 miles and still had 60 left on the GOM, or she thinks it said that!
Of you find it's tight in the winter on odd days you'll either find somewhere to charge for a quick top up or you drive slower!
After 2 years you'll know the car well and know what you need to do to maximise the miles.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
@gladini
Even 10% isn't good for the battery too be left at, the safest way to use it is 30-70% for maximum longevity. When I've got home with very low battery I've plugged in straight away to bring the battery back to 20% or more. Why, I don't understand battery deg but it happens and low soc is definitely bad and high soc probably isn't good either. 10% is still consisted low.

If you read about the Outlander battery in warmer climates I think you'll find there have be issues with those deteriorating quite quickly. I think I've also read that, generally, the hybrid batteries have larger % left top and bottom to protect them more as they are gong to be run to very low soc much more frequently, possibly multiple times per day. I guess that are also charging up again quickly as the car will charge the battery as it is being driven so it is less likely to be left at a low soc.

From my reading I've concluded that charging to 'full', about 95% actual, is much better than discharging to a low state and so have switched to fully charging most nights, but at the latest time, and then rarely getting to less than 20 miles on the GOM. I'm hoping this will be best for the battery and as another advantage my wife is happier.
Our cars rarely have a day off but on the occasions they have been sat I leave then at 40-60%. Probably 30-70% is OK but it sounds like 50% is the place to aim for.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
We've only had our e-Golf for 6.5 months and I've been checking the usable battery capacity with the obdeleven app. When we first had it ours was showing 31.9kWh, after 6 weeks I recorded 32.9kWh but the last few times I checked it was showing 30.9kWh when full.
Is that the only battery data from OBD11? May I ask where can one find this?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Thanks folks - all the comments are really interesting.
Compared to what we were all driving 10years ago these things ( BEV + PHEV ) are really out of this world.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Find obdeleven? Bought online. There is an old thread on the e-Golf section about obdeleven that has more details about where to find some info in the app.
Thanks folks - all the comments are really interesting.
Compared to what we were all driving 10years ago these things ( BEV + PHEV ) are really out of this world.
I have had my eGolf for over three years. We charge it to full every night. I have not noticed any signs of degradation yet.
I’ve had my golf since July this year. It was an ex demo model with only 5000 miles on the clock. It showed 158 miles range at full charge in July, 3 months later - today it showed 110 miles! It is booked in with the dealership next Monday to try to get to the bottom of this. Thankfully still under warrantee as I’m concerned at such a degradation in battery over 3 months!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I suspect when I next charge mine it’ll show a low range on the GOM. This last week I’ve made a few short local trips and without fail the efficiency has been awful (even below 3 mi/kWh in one case I think). I’m hoping it’s the weather - there has been rain aplenty with high humidity even when it’s dry - but if it persists maybe I’ll need to get it checked.

·
Registered
529 Posts
’ve had my golf since July this year. It was an ex demo model with only 5000 miles on the clock. It showed 158 miles range at full charge in July, 3 months later - today it showed 110 miles! It is booked in with the dealership next Monday to try to get to the bottom of this. Thankfully still under warrantee as I’m concerned at such a degradation in battery over 3 months!
When you looked in July i doubt you had the heater on but in Oct i bet you had it on. Thats the biggy. I have noticed little difference so far,perhaps 10% for the colder weather and then another 10% later when the heater is on. If you have not had an EV before i doubt you have refined your driving style to suite and hence 110mls.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I've not seen as low as 110 miles when fully charged, and I'm not know for driving efficiently very often. Saying that it would be quite realistic some of the time.

Different cars do seem to vary, maybe your gom is adjusting and showing realistic figures.

Take it for a run and see how many miles you actually get. 158 miles is unrealistic for most people but 110 in the rain and averaging 3.5mi/kWh is about right.

I complain about ours always being overly optimistic, if it was showing 120 at the moment I would be thinking it was about right, but still probably wouldn't get that all of the time.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It's not the battery degrading,recent charge showed 162 miles at 8pm temp.14 C parked in the garage,in the morning 9am, 6 deg C. 135 miles showing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My ludicrously low efficiency figures for a few recent short journeys do seem, as expected, to be weather related. The air is less wet now and my mi/kWh are back to something more normal.

Suspect I should probably check my tyre pressures though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts