Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2020 e-golf and have some problems charging right now.
I think it has to do with the current I am getting from the socket.
Once plugged in into the 220 socket I get a nice pulsating green light at the car-socket and the AID shows it’s charging. But then the circuit box on the level 1 charger makes a clicking noise and on the right side a red light briefly appears and on the left side all 3 lights light up green briefly.
Then on the car-socket the light goes from pulsating green to constant amber for 3-7secs and then goes back to pulsating green.
On the AID through the window I see that it stops charging when the circuit box trips and the light on the car turns amber. Then it turns back to pulsating green and the AID displays it’s charging again.
But this happens again and again and eventually the AID only shows the white plug indicator not the orange charging one. And the light on the car-socket turns flashing red. I then force unplug the charger cable by pressing the direct-charge button on the car-socket and pressing unlock on the keyFOB at the same time. The light on the car socket turns off and I can remove the cable.

I am still wet behind the ears as far as EV and EVSE go. So excuse the wrong use of certain terminology. I just tried to explain as clearly as I can, hoping to find an answer or confirmation of some kind.

Cheers in advance guys, appreciate any reply.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 2020 e-golf and have some problems charging right now.
I think it has to do with the current I am getting from the socket.
Once plugged in into the 220 socket I get a nice pulsating green light at the car-socket and the AID shows it’s charging. But then the circuit box on the level 1 charger makes a clicking noise and on the right side a red light briefly appears and on the left side all 3 lights light up green briefly.
Then on the car-socket the light goes from pulsating green to constant amber for 3-7secs and then goes back to pulsating green.
On the AID through the window I see that it stops charging when the circuit box trips and the light on the car turns amber. Then it turns back to pulsating green and the AID displays it’s charging again.
But this happens again and again and eventually the AID only shows the white plug indicator not the orange charging one. And the light on the car-socket turns flashing red. I then force unplug the charger cable by pressing the direct-charge button on the car-socket and pressing unlock on the keyFOB at the same time. The light on the car socket turns off and I can remove the cable.

I am still wet behind the ears as far as EV and EVSE go. So excuse the wrong use of certain terminology. I just tried to explain as clearly as I can, hoping to find an answer or confirmation of some kind.

Cheers in advance guys, appreciate any reply.
Are you using the 3 pin granny cable? Sounds like a power surge/socket issue. Have you tried a different socket?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you using the 3 pin granny cable? Sounds like a power surge/socket issue. Have you tried a different socket?
Thanks for the reply!
Yes the 3-pin granny cable and yes I have tried another socket and eventually got the same problem. I talked to my mechanic and my electrician today. And my mechanic told me straight away to check the grounding. If possible just to be sure I should install a separate grounding pin for this socket only.
Tomorrow afternoon I will know more and will update here.
Cheers

·
Registered
910 Posts
If it was the grounding on this plug then go and try someone else plug and then a public AC charger eg Tesco 7Kw and then you should have your answer. Car,EVSE or plug.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it was the grounding on this plug then go and try someone else plug and then a public AC charger eg Tesco 7Kw and then you should have your answer. Car,EVSE or plug.
Thanks!
I am going to try someone else’s plug today. Unfortunately there are NO public chargers in my country..... yet😉
I am probably the first EV owner.
Let’s hope everything works out.
Thanks again for the suggestions.
I’ll update later
Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried someone else’s plug but got the same result. Will update later

·
Registered
51 Posts
Assuming you are in Suriname, (your flag), I understand that the electricity supply in Suriname is both 127v and 230v. 127v has American style plugs, i.e. the two flat pin and the two flat pin with earth round pin, the one that is earthed. The 230v ones look like European with no earth facility unless they are the round German/Dutch sort (likely Dutch in Suriname) with side earth connectors. Please enlighten us further - where are you and what sort of plug have you got? You say 3pin but 220v which is puzzling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Assuming you are in Suriname, (your flag), I understand that the electricity supply in Suriname is both 127v and 230v. 127v has American style plugs, i.e. the two flat pin and the two flat pin with earth round pin, the one that is earthed. The 230v ones look like European with no earth facility unless they are the round German/Dutch sort (likely Dutch in Suriname) with side earth connectors. Please enlighten us further - where are you and what sort of plug have you got? You say 3pin but 220v which is puzzling.
Yes James I am Suriname indeed! I am sorry but you're right, not 3-pin but 2-pin, like the Dutch plugs. I meant to reply to the granny cable question, but put part of the question in my answer.
We are going to ground the socket separately today and see if it makes any difference. The specs of the charger say 230v 50Hz. We have 60Hz here and we measured between 219v and 224v at the socket. So it could be I am not getting enough juice or the charger-stated 50Hz is causing problems.
If it doesn’t work I will have to buy a transformator to stabilize the current or a level-1 charger with 50-60Hz.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes James I am Suriname indeed! I am sorry but you're right, not 3-pin but 2-pin, like the Dutch plugs. I meant to reply to the granny cable question, but put part of the question in my answer.
We are going to ground the socket separately today and see if it makes any difference. The specs of the charger say 230v 50Hz. We have 60Hz here and we measured between 219v and 224v at the socket. So it could be I am not getting enough juice or the charger-stated 50Hz is causing problems.
If it doesn’t work I will have to buy a transformator to stabilize the current or a level-1 charger with 50-60Hz. View attachment 147496
Grounding separately did not help... same result. Will update later.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like you need an EVSE designed for 60 Hz.
Yes thanks, that’s what I was thinking. Will install a 230v socket at a factory of a friend with industrial high voltage current of 440v. Then I will have a stable current and will definitely know if it is to do with the Hz. Will update later.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If it doesn’t work I will have to buy a transformator to stabilize the current or a level-1 charger with 50-60Hz. View attachment 147496
I think this charger will only work with 220-240v

·
Registered
51 Posts
Now much clearer. The plug is actually one of those Euro wide ones with the earth side connectors and also the French/Belgian earth socket (a fixed pin on the fixed socket enters it). I can't be certain but I would have thought that 60Hz would not matter. The 219v would certainly not matter, it is well within +/-10% 230v. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
161 Posts
James, both the connector and the box say 50 Hz. I have seen many consumer charging devices that list 50-60 Hz, but not this device. I do agree voltage is not the issue, but grounding certainly could be important for an EVSE. FYI, my US TE EVSE supplied with my e-Golf says 60 Hz.

·
Registered
51 Posts
. FYI, my US TE EVSE supplied with my e-Golf says 60 Hz.
Interesting! Normally with a 50Hz transformer it is usually happy on 60Hz (I used to export amplifiers to the US without problems, using the same transformers, with split primaries paralleled instead of seriesed). Anyhow, it will be interesting to see how the OP gets on. I understand that he's going to try it on an actual 50Hz supply.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ABB

Blaupunkt

James, both the connector and the box say 50 Hz. I have seen many consumer charging devices that list 50-60 Hz, but not this device. I do agree voltage is not the issue, but grounding certainly could be important for an EVSE. FYI, my US TE EVSE supplied with my e-Golf says 60 Hz.
You are correct that is not a voltage issue So I guess it should work with a 60Hz level 1 EVSE.

Interesting! Normally with a 50Hz transformer it is usually happy on 60Hz (I used to export amplifiers to the US without problems, using the same transformers, with split primaries paralleled instead of seriesed). Anyhow, it will be interesting to see how the OP gets on. I understand that he's going to try it on an actual 50Hz supply.
No I did not try it on a 50 Hz supply as none are available here.
I was going to try setting up a dedicated 230v as mentioned, but like f1geek, my electrician said that it could not be the voltage causing the issue.

Excuse the following because I don’t know the correct words in English, but in Suriname:
We have 127v between 0 and phase
We have 230v between phase and phase

Car was supplied with the level-1 charger as mentioned in previous posts.
From The Netherlands I purchased two level-2 wallbox chargers, both three-phase 32a 22kw.
One is a smart charger, operated by smartphone app(AB Terra AC), the other a straight Plug&Charge model(Blaupunkt).

This is where it probably went wrong, in Holland:
They have 230v between 0 and phase
They have 400v between phase and phase
So both three-phase 32a 22kw Chargers expect to receive 400 over the three phase connection.

So first I installed the ABB but got a ‘Undervoltage’ error, which is obvious why I suppose.
Contacted ABB through mail then phone asking them for any settings to be adjusted allowing me to use it here and they apologized, because I clearly stated my electrical grid specs in an earlier email addressed to them asking them for advice on which model to buy and they recommended the one I actually got.
Glad I did this through email so I could refer to it. They were kind and told me they’d definitely make sure I would be able to charge as they were the ones who suggested to buy this one. They had to transfer my question/request to their global department and would get back to me within 1 week. So hopefully by Thursday I’ll hear from them saying they’ll ship me the correct one :)

On to the Blaupunkt, because this is a Plug&Charge model, I had the option to connect it on only one phase, but instead of 0 and phase we actually connected phase 1 and phase 2 to get 230v.
And this worked!! So I am finally charging since last Friday evening. Still only one charge session.
So I am relieved, because after having the car for 1 week I could finally charge.

So because this worked, we tried to connect the 220v socket in the garage the same way as we did the Blaupunkt, but unfortunately it didn’t work :(

So now I am looking to buy the same ‘regulator’ built into the Blaupunkt separately and connect this to the socket creating the same principle.
If that doesn’t work I need to buy a US level charger like f1geek has and go that way.

See attached pictures for everything mentioned in the post.

Will keep you guys posted.
Thanks again for all of the feedback.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Great to hear you are able to charge! FYI, I do see 50 Hz on the ABB unit, but when I looked up the specs on the Blaupunkt EVSE, it says 50-60 Hz. I never realized Blaupunkt makes an EVSE - I remember Blaupunkt car stereos from the 1980s, so it's great that now they make something I might purchase.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great to hear you are able to charge! FYI, I do see 50 Hz on the ABB unit, but when I looked up the specs on the Blaupunkt EVSE, it says 50-60 Hz. I never realized Blaupunkt makes an EVSE - I remember Blaupunkt car stereos from the 1980s, so it's great that now they make something I might purchase.
Yeah they put 50Hz on it but it actually is 50-60Hz according to the specs in the manual and confirmation from ABB themselves.
And yes I’m really happy being able to charge now!
The Blaupunkt seems to be of great quality.
I am gonna try to buy the VeKON epc controller and see if we can use that to get the regular 220v socket to work.
Will update weeks once received, installed and tested.
Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
I note one of the faults shown by the "undervoltage" lamp is phase and neutral reversed. With the Dutch style plugs it's 50-50 which you get as the the plugs are reversible, unlike the French Euro version which, because of the pin, will only go in one way round.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I note one of the faults shown by the "undervoltage" lamp is phase and neutral reversed. With the Dutch style plugs it's 50-50 which you get as the the plugs are reversible, unlike the French Euro version which, because of the pin, will only go in one way round.
Yeah that is correct James. We have tried switching but that did not work. So I am guessing it still has to do with it being based on 400v.
Once I get an answer from ABB, I’ll keep you posted.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts