Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up to now the T2 charger has always charged at the c7kw when out and about. My son has fitted at work a 3 phase T2 charger which charges his Tesla at 11kw as it should but when i attach my Golf it only charges at c3kw. The car setting is set at max so i do not understand why it does not charge at the c7kw. Any ideas? Golf is 2018.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Up to now the T2 charger has always charged at the c7kw when out and about. My son has fitted at work a 3 phase T2 charger which charges his Tesla at 11kw as it should but when i attach my Golf it only charges at c3kw. The car setting is set at max so i do not understand why it does not charge at the c7kw. Any ideas? Golf is 2018.
Yes - that's a "feature". The Tesla is capable of 3-phase charging, the Golf isn't. The 11kW charger is 3 phases at c3.6kW each phase. Golf has a single phase charger that is maximum 7kW - when presented with a 3-phase supply, it can only use one phase, therefore max charging rate will be the c3.6kW (minus losses) that you're seeing. On a single phase charger that's rated at 7kW, or a 3-phase charger rated at 22kW, you'll get the maximum (ac) rate of c7kW.

So in short - there's nothing wrong, it just doesn't work how it looks like it should (or, indeed, as you'd like it to).

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
How has he wired up the supply to the EVSE.?

3 X 32A PHASE conductors plus neutral?

If yes, some switching would make the EVSE yield 32A single phase for the VW.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts