Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - bought an e-Golf last November and have just checked and there is no jack and wheelbrace, do VW normally include these on an e-Golf?
Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi - bought an e-Golf last November and have just checked and there is no jack and wheelbrace, do VW normally include these on an e-Golf?
Thanks
No and you won't have a spare wheel either. They expect you to fill a punctured tyre with that blancmange stuff, after which no tyre firm will repair it. Get yourself a space saver wheel as supplied with some Golfs, Caddies, Audi A3 etc. I bought mine complete with jack and brace on ebay for £25. It was almost unused. Get the plastic screw thing to hold the wheel down from a Seat place (£10). Somewhere on this Forum I posted details. You can also do a Rolls Royce job at considerable cost - see the link I posted to another (I think USA) forum which gives chapter and verse.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
If you intend to keep with the inflation kit, use the Holts tyre weld instead.
It CAN be washed out after use and does not affect the tyre or the alloy wheel.
A bit less expensive to replace as well !.
The Holts cam is around £7 and the VW fluid is about £75 and it has a life cycle as well !.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No and you won't have a spare wheel either. They expect you to fill a punctured tyre with that blancmange stuff, after which no tyre firm will repair it. Get yourself a space saver wheel as supplied with some Golfs, Caddies, Audi A3 etc. I bought mine complete with jack and brace on ebay for £25. It was almost unused. Get the plastic screw thing to hold the wheel down from a Seat place (£10). Somewhere on this Forum I posted details. You can also do a Rolls Royce job at considerable cost - see the link I posted to another (I think USA) forum which gives chapter and verse.
Hi James - thanks for the reply. I'll check out the spacesaver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you intend to keep with the inflation kit, use the Holts tyre weld instead.
It CAN be washed out after use and does not affect the tyre or the alloy wheel.
A bit less expensive to replace as well !.
The Holts cam is around £7 and the VW fluid is about £75 and it has a life cycle as well !.
Hi Carty - thanks for the reply. I've never had to use the fluid (fingers crossed!) but will look at the Holts Tyre Weld.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Hi Carty - thanks for the reply. I've never had to use the fluid (fingers crossed!) but will look at the Holts Tyre Weld.
It comes in two sizes, make sure you get the one that is suitable for 17 inch wheels.
Basically, the larger of the two tins !.
A space saver offers a lot more security in the case of a puncture of course.
The down side is you lose a lot of space in your boot.
A good idea is to buy a bag to keep the wheel in.
Because if you need the space in your boot in an emergency, you are going to have to store the wheel in the car !.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The down side is you lose a lot of space in your boot.
Only the space under the floor. In my eGolf I have the wheel, jack, brace and tools plus a set of jump leads, the 13A charger, the type 2 cable (I've bought another to use in my garage), an extension lead and a waterproof thingy for the join and the little inflater. It's all a bit of a tight fit but it does fit and the boot floor sits properly on its supports..

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am able to fit the 18 inch spare, jack, wheel chocks, gloves, reflective triangle, lug wrench, 120 V granny cable, heavy duty jumper cables, and an assortment of shopping bags all under the load floor.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just done this. You want the 18" space saver wheel, it's been the same across much of VW, Audi, Skoda for ages so easy to find. Mine was £60 delivered from ebay including the tool tray, jack, retaining screw, etc.

The problem is that cars that don't get a spare wheel have a trim piece that prevents it fitting:

Now you can buy the right trim (part number from a US video was 5G6 863 459 L 82V - my local dealer quoted about £45 to order one in), or just cut it a little to make it fit. I went for the latter, pull straight upwards surprisingly hard and it pops off, then a few mins of cutting and sanding got enough clearance for the tyre.

e-Golf has the bracket in the floor for the threaded post, you just push in really hard and give it a quarter turn.

Still plenty of space for granny and 32a cables, plus any other emergency stuff you might need. The false floor still sits where it should too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just done this. You want the 18" space saver wheel, it's been the same across much of VW, Audi, Skoda for ages so easy to find. Mine was £60 delivered from ebay including the tool tray, jack, retaining screw, etc.

The problem is that cars that don't get a spare wheel have a trim piece that prevents it fitting:

View attachment 127729

Now you can buy the right trim (part number from a US video was 5G6 863 459 L 82V - my local dealer quoted about £45 to order one in), or just cut it a little to make it fit. I went for the latter, pull straight upwards surprisingly hard and it pops off, then a few mins of cutting and sanding got enough clearance for the tyre. View attachment 127731

e-Golf has the bracket in the floor for the threaded post, you just push in really hard and give it a quarter turn.

Still plenty of space for granny and 32a cables, plus any other emergency stuff you might need. The false floor still sits where it should too.

View attachment 127732
Hi Simon - thanks for the information and the pictures. I've been looking at doing something similar with an 18" space saver alloy kit.
Phil

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am somewhat puzzled. The Audi A3 has 205/55 R16 wheels, exactly the same as the eGolf but the space saver spare is 125/70 R16 - i.e. 2" smaller overall diameter than the unloaded diameter of the main wheels. I can state from personal experience that it works. Why then is an 18" wheel being suggested for the Golf? Is it because the Turanza tyres do not flatten to the same extent as normal tyres? Also as an aside to this I see that people swap the Turanzas for Cross Climates. How does this affect the speedometer if they flatten more than the Turanzas?

Enlightenment gratefully received.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Not sure. 18” space saver is about half an inch bigger diameter (inc tyre) than the standard 16s, and is what I’d read elsewhere is used for mk7 Golf in other markets.

I can’t see either being a problem for the intended use, they’re not meant to be on for long distances or high speeds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't forget a lug wrench since they didn't supply that either. And I swapped out the locking lugs with regular since I don't want be messing with that bull hockey in the dark...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts