Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I need help here.

My e-Golf business lease is up, and currently on an informal extension. I've left it a bit late to get a replacement. Here's where I am:

• e-208 GT on order, but unknown delivery date; best case December, worst next year. Good rates. ££
  • ID.3 Life available soon, but the lease quotes from VW are silly expensive £££
  • Kona 64kWh Premium available almost immediately, at very good rates £. Not a fan of the looks.
  • Final option: buy the e-Golf off the leasing company, get what I want later.

Discuss.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I understand your dilemma. The thing is, the egolf is such a great car to drive, as I tell myself every day.
If you can buy it at a fair price, then I would do that. I think it may be some time before VW sort out the ID3 software issues, so I think the best alternative would be the Kia e-Nero, great range, great warranty, loads of tech.

D

·
Registered
871 Posts
What do you need from a car?
What do you want from a car?
What is your realistic budget?

I'd compare the options using those three questions. Then once I'd got a shortlist or main contender I'd go get a (preferably long) test drive it to make sure I like it.

Don't think we can really help much without knowing what you're looking for in a car, because it's all so individual.

Alternatively, if the eGolf is working well for you and buying it outright is an option, then why not?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,256 Posts
The Kona is the safest option but ties you in for a period, the eGolf is the biggest risk as is now looking out of date and expensive for what it does. You might get lucky and get out of it well.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Have you had a chance to test drive the Kona? Like you I am not a fan of the styling, but coming from a Golf I would be more concerned about comfort, ride and handling based on the reviews I have seen.
The e-208 looks good, but probably a bit small for me.
I would hope / assume that lease prices for the ID3 will become more sensible over time.
There is also a big question mark for me as to what will happen with Brexit - I can't see it will improve either prices or availability.
If you can do so for a sensible price I would probably keep the eGolf.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
MG ZS EV Excite in dealerships from £19,995 brand new. (Some delivery mileage 70 plate Exclusives from £20,495) with immediate availability.

MG5 not much more with better range and handling but rather bland looks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm 12 months into my egolf 2 year lease and already wondering what I would do. I'd buy the golf outright at the right price if it wasn't for the range in winter... I guess a lot will change in the next 12 months anyhow. Will follow this thread with interest though.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
If you are happy with the VW brand are a little unwilling to be disconnected, then I would stick with the present e.Golf for now, until the I.D.3 thing gets really sorted.
If you are willing to switch brand / style of car ( hatchback to small SUV ) then there are models available right now.
It's a difficult call !.

·
Registered
765 Posts
OK, I need help here.

My e-Golf business lease is up, and currently on an informal extension. I've left it a bit late to get a replacement. Here's where I am:

• e-208 GT on order, but unknown delivery date; best case December, worst next year. Good rates. ££
  • ID.3 Life available soon, but the lease quotes from VW are silly expensive £££
  • Kona 64kWh Premium available almost immediately, at very good rates £. Not a fan of the looks.
  • Final option: buy the e-Golf off the leasing company, get what I want later.

Discuss.
I am not on a business lease, but I intend buying out my golf when the PCP ends. I do tend to keep my cars for 5yrs+. If it ain't broke don't fix it.... If the golf does all that you need buy it out. If you struggle with its range move on. That's my Tuppence worth.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The Kona is the safest option but ties you in for a period, the eGolf is the biggest risk as is now looking out of date and expensive for what it does. You might get lucky and get out of it well.
There is the "It's a Golf Factor" I know around my parts VW's & Audi, in general, are silly money and usually really high mileage 🤷‍♀️ and people still buy them. I know this because my Best mate is trying to buy a Golf R right now

·
Registered
765 Posts
Tell him to enjoy when he get's it, because some "Pond Life" is likely to have his eye on it straight away !.
We live in the Very North Coast of NI. I'm 48 and I have never known a single person in my life to have a car stolen. 🤷‍♀️ Boris might be screwing us over with Brexit, but least we don't get our cars stolen LOL must be why my insurance is only £256 FC

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As per another thread, I’ve finally decided on an ID.3 Life as a replacement for the lovely e-Golf. The final prices from VW for a business lease were £80/month less than the original ones, which makes it slightly cheaper per month than the e-Golf for a car with nearly twice the range.

I’ll miss the Golf though, as it’s been problem free. The only quibble I had was that it wasn’t made as well as my previous 2015 GTE.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And do you think your ID3 is made as well as your e-Golf was or is that yet another retrograde step?
I don't have it yet!

The ID.3 doesn't have the same premium feel plastics as the Golf 7.5, but neither does the Golf 8 apparently.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Yeah - There has been a bit of cost cutting on the Mk 8 that’s for sure.
The gas struts have been removed from the bonnet, just for one !.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,558 Posts
Yes I’ll agree the Kona is pig ugly, especially after the Golf, and I really hate not being able to trigger pre heat unless it’s plugged in.
But....the app works, and I am back up into the 4.8-5.3 consumption range after the brief lower temperatures, just got 5.4 today on a 68 mile trip. max GOM now back up to 295, which if I had the nerves I truly believe would be do able. Saw 318 during late summer.
Currently reckons 150miles of range left on 54% soc and it seems accurate.

Mk8 eGolf with a 55kw or so battery would be interesting, the ID3 inside does not appeal to me.

Sit in all the potential ones, drive ‘em if you can.
My old Golf rode better than the Kona.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
My old Golf rode better than the Kona.
The GTE is a bit of a hard car to beat as we know.
But I think we would probably agree that trying to compare the high ride hight in a small family crossover / SUV to the low ride of a mild hot hatch is a bit of a tall order really.
When it comes to kerb appeal then the GTE has it nailed.
I don’t think anybody buys a SUV because it’s a good looking car really ?.
Small SUV’s have stolen the crown, once worn by the five door hatchback.
They just offer a bit more space for transporting all the stuff that comes with having children !.
Very practical but not the best looking car on the block.
Function over form if you like !.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts