Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

E-Golf Report

8K views 77 replies 20 participants last post by  toms 
#1 · (Edited)
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hatchback Volkswagen
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hatchback Volkswagen
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Transport
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Volkswagen Hatchback
Whilst the E-Up! is in for a little remedial work, I've been loaned an E-Golf. Looks like base spec and I doubt it has the heat pump as switching the heat on takes 10% toll on the GoM immediately. Anyway, it's a rather nice piece of kit, with a couple of flaws I've found so far:

Pros:
  • 120 mile indicated range when full - 90 mile real world range on my first trip - more than the E-Up.
  • Beautifully built, lovely to drive - It's a Golf
  • Adaptive cruise control is fantastic
  • Sat nav screen is clear, graphics are good - not sure it's as good as the Leaf one in terms of charging station availability.
  • Headlights are incredible
  • Looks good - a lad in a MK7 GTI stopped and looked at it very closely. I think he wants the DRLs!
  • You get Type 2 and EVSE cables included

Cons:

• Only a 16A charge rate and a big battery - like really?!
  • CCS don't work!
  • It's a Golf - It has small wheels and no exhaust pipe either so from some angles looks a bit base modelish
  • It's slower than the E-Up
  • Options are £££ - The E-Up has all the options as standard.

A few slightly rubbish pictures are attached. I'll try and get some better ones when it dries out a bit!

See less See more
#10 ·
I want one. For no other reason than it's an EV and it looks really nice (to me). :D

I also want several other EVs, but that's beside the point. :)
I do too. I am a VW/Audi man at heart and I do like the instrument layout (I guess it is just what I am familiar with), Personally I do find Japanese dashboards very haphazard.

Nevertheless the LEAF was acquired at a very reasonable price, is doing its job admirably and funds do not permit frivolous car swapping, so drooling can continue until such time as a change is on the cards.

#8 ·
That new Passat looks good but I'll need to see the performance/economy figures

Derek

#9 ·
And I rather like the look of the Outlander PHEV Concept S

#11 ·
Not so sure about Toyota's approach to the future though??

#21 ·
A-hem. Back on topic. Bloomin hell the lights are good on the EGolf! Range is definitely better than the Up driven sensibly and regen seems more efficient too (in that it puts more in the battery) this may be due to the higher weight though.

Not sure I want to give it back.....

#24 ·
I agree Paul. The reason I like our Up is because of the myriad of tiny unique differences of the EV model.

Discovered the Golf has a special rear spoiler too. My neighbour across the road has a petrol MK7 GT and the differences are huge - even things like camber angles look different

#25 ·
Noticed something a bit rubbish about the Golf - next to the charging socket on the outside of the car is a little button. This button glows when charging the car. I have the same button inside my E-Up...

If you press this button during charging, it stops the charge. So if you leave the car and some opportune little fiddler presses it, it stops the charge. How very annoying!!!

This button:

#37 · (Edited)
I just spoke to the VW dealer explaining why I was leaning towards a Leaf, and he said with a wall port, charge time for an EGolf is 6hrs. I've asked him to point me at where it says that, because although he might have told me it, I don't remember finding it written anywhere. Wall ports are supplied by British Gas for VW so I don't think there's anything magic about them.

I forgot to mention the lead times! I don't think I want to wait 3-4 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.