Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been asked before, but am i right in thinking the first inspection is due after 2 years or 20k miles?

Just had a crazy conversation with my local dealership who didnt seem to have any idea about what is required. Gave for 4 different prices, then said it should be services every 12 months or 10k miles. I pointed them to the VW website where it says 2 years, 20k and said the car and carnet say this. They couldnt access the VW website as their browser doesnt allow it......they're a VW dealership.
What on earth are they playing at.
Also kept saying about it needing an oil service.
I told them it doesnt inspire confidence.

·
Registered
142 Posts
With the imminent launch of the ID3 you would think that dealers would be getting up to speed on the servicing requirements.
The egolf has been around for about 5 years - and still the dealers want to change the oil and check the emissions etc.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the chap just now said that it's all new to them and VW. I said the e golf has been around for years which I think he was surprised about.
beggars belief.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
This page has the current VW service plan for BEV's, but when we ordered ours it was 2 years or 20k miles for the first service and then 10k or 1 year for the next.
We had our first service at 20k miles and 10 or 11 months and then the car was saying 20k till next service and VW connect said 20k or one year.
Prices have varied, we paid £125 but I'm sure I have read that it should now be a fixed price slightly less than that, but I can't find the post.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats the page i was looking at. So if you buy a brand new car, its first service is at 2 years or 20k. The dealer basically said the website was wrong. Starting wanging on about fixed and extended service plans and what lease people and motobility people usually do etc ect etc. I had to cut them off and simply ask what i needed to do to keep the warranty and what VW require. Then they said it was my responsibility to ensure its services. It really was incredible.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It’s the money ,service in two years is not good for a dealer, when I picked my egolf up 20 odd months ago,I queried the same issue was told 12 months, they even sent out a tech guy with his laptop showing 12 months on some spread sheet he had cobbled together.
Some off the old style dials did say 12 months, but I believe the dealers had reset them.
VW info has always been 24 months 20 K.
My dealer even chased me after 12 months , they wasted that call.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had similar conversations with the salesman when I bought my e-Golf recently. When I asked about servicing I was told it was 10k/12 months and would cost £360. I almost spat my coffee at him. He went on to explain that there are very few trained technicians and the high price is due to the extra training required and the fact that there are so few qualified staff. With a bit of luck, when my car is actually due for its first inspection in 22 months time, they will have got their act together.

My daughter bought a brand new Citigo in November last year & the Skoda dealer started sending her reminders that her first service was due in August. They even stated they have a "duty of care" to make sure her car was properly maintained, to scare her into getting it done. Had she not asked me to deal with it for her, she'd have ended up paying for a completely unnecessary service 4 months early!

It's disgusting the lengths some dealerships will go to to take advantage of less-informed drivers. I'm sure many just take their word for it as they are the "experts".

·
Registered
385 Posts
It would be helpful if egolf owners posted the quotes they get for servicing (24 mth) and which part of the country,if you have that information then you can shop around and negotiate perhaps.The online price for two services is £385 .00 but needs to be purchased with the car. I would imagine there will be a good variation from greedy dealers.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
I took the Niro on for it's first service this morning. Kia and Hyundai insist on a 10k miles inspection and I was charged £62.
The service only takes 30 minutes plus a wash.
I don't know how long the VW service takes but I can't imagine they check much more at 20k than Kia do at 10k.

At £120 the VW works out cheaper per year than the Kia for the first couple of years, after that I've no idea how it will work out.

·
Registered
385 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I ordered an e-Golf at the end of September and agreed to pre-pay £199 to cover the first two services at 24m and 36m. Was surprised that they didn't want £385.60, maybe they weren't aware that VW had increased the service plan prices.

·
Registered
770 Posts
August this year I was £159 at 20k miles (about 16 months) in Dundee for service and swapping wheels around for more even tyre wear. Due again in 10k miles/1 year.

When I bought the car from Edinburgh they were keen for a service at 10k miles/1 year. I asked why when VW say 20k miles. Much umming and ahhing later all they came up with was updating software. I decided to ignore that, and their phone call at one year, and go with what VW were saying.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
I ordered an e-Golf at the end of September and agreed to pre-pay £199 to cover the first two services at 24m and 36m. Was surprised that they didn't want £385.60, maybe they weren't aware that VW had increased the service plan prices.
That sounds like it is following the price in the video diesel gate posted. If that had been offered to us we would have taken it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah I think VW have probably forgotten to swap out that video titled "Version 1" video for this "Version 2" which quotes £385.60.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I paid £199 when I got my egolf in September for the service pack.If they tried to talk bullshit to me I would told him to shove the sale where the sun doesn’t shine!

·
Registered
89 Posts
In many cases I think it may not be bullshit but just a complete lack of knowledge. It's not just this whole servicing confusion but so many other things have been discussed on these forums where the sales people seem not to have a clue about the e-Golf. I dislike being "sold" to at the best of times, but if the person doing the selling knows less about the product than I do, they're clearing doing something very wrong...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts