Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2018 e-Golf with the heat pump and info display. I got it new from an order I made and finally received it in Oct 2018. I currently have 16k miles on it. I am wondering what is the best method to get me to an ID.3 - I did pre-book for the 1ST.

So I am very happy with my e-Golf but would love some more range, and the ability to have a tow hitch for a bicycle carrier. So the ID.3 would be good for me. But I need to either:
a) part-exchange at my VW dealer, where I got my e-Golf from, and buy the ID.3 from them - offsetting the cost with the part-ex
b) sell privately, and buy the ID.3 from my dealer
c) some other method?

Also the question of timing, comes to mind, So should I sell early (in scenario b) and lease a EV in the gap before the ID.3 is ready, or see the residual reduce as I put more miles on. I have seen about 90 e-Golfs 2018 and later in Autotrader. I see them from £20k upwards both from private and dealers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,921 Posts
Unfortunately, currently the timing for selling or trading a car is pretty bad...

I’ve always gone for the trade in approach, because I just find it easier and more convenient to do so, accepting that means I usually don’t get ‘top dollar’ for my car.

I‘ve sold cheaper cars privately in the past, but even that’s a minefield with insurance, cash and dodgy visitor concerns.

I think it’s pretty clear that Cv-19 is going to delay the launch of new vehicles, and who knows where we’ll be if this turns into a global financial depression as seems likely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
Yep, agree with @Tooks

I was in very much same situation. 68 plate e-Golf on PCP and an ID.3 reservation and an M3P waitlist position with Evezy.

I got the M3 in Feb, so handed back the e-Golf. The VW dealership settled the outstanding balance on the PCP and gave me the balance. The values were pretty much as you describe.

I was intending to use the M3 until the ID.3 came along but have since cancelled my reservation for the same reasons as many others (taking too long, 1st Edition isn't the right spec, no ability to test drive, concerns over software problems, no Comms from VW, cutting out the dealers etc etc).

I suspect I handed back the Golf just in time, but now I am sat on a £800 a month Tesla paperweight :( - 1st world problem in the circumstances.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all of the replies so far. The whole COVID-19 just puts a whole load of uncertainty on most things. I guess that it does not do much harm to talk to my dealer. They know me, they know my e-Golf. Though of course, it has not even reached its first "service" yet. I am just wondering if the second hand market for BEVs will ensure that the residual and p-ex prices will hold up with the increased impetus to move to EVs.

I guess we shall also see what VW (and others) shall do with handling the COVID-19 impacts. If VW come around to say "you've pre-booked and now its decision time" shortly then I might just respond "well will you deliver?"
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top