Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I placed my order for an e Niro 2 couple of weeks ago. I test drove a 2020 4 trim and fell in love with it but couldn't afford anything other than a 2 trim. I am really excited for the car but I have been told it will take around 3 months.

Just wondering if anyone else has placed orders this year and what their expected delivery date is?

Also, does anyone actually own a 2 trim? What do you like or dislike about it?

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
870 Posts
According to the poll of this sub forum membership, only 2 out of the 155 Eniros on here are that version. So you might get a couple of replies perhaps?
Peter

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is that the 'standard' 2 or the long-range 2 ?
I'm in a similar boat.. had my eye on a 3 until the grant changes. Decided to put it off now until later in the year. Will decide then if it's gonna be the 2 long range or the 3..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi guys.

I placed my order for an e Niro 2 couple of weeks ago. I test drove a 2020 4 trim and fell in love with it but couldn't afford anything other than a 2 trim. I am really excited for the car but I have been told it will take around 3 months.

Just wondering if anyone else has placed orders this year and what their expected delivery date is?

Also, does anyone actually own a 2 trim? What do you like or dislike about it?
I have a 2021 '2' 39kWh - had it for around 6 weeks now. I got mine on a Salary Sacrifice lease, and the leasing company had one in their stock so it only took a few weeks to get it.

What do I like about it?
1. Very nice to drive - compared to my previous 7-seater tank (2015 Citroen Grand C4).
2. Its QUICK! Not Tesla-fast of course, but nevertheless quick for a family hatchback.
3. Quiet (but so are all EVs)
4. It's got all the driver aids that I would reasonably want. The Smart Cruise Control works very well (this is my first car to have this).
5. Near-instant heat from the heater when cold (along with all EVs).
6. It has real buttons for everything! My Citroen required use of the touchscreen for almost everything - even changing the heater.

Annoyances:
1. Maybe I should have spent slightly more (and waited) to get the bigger battery. I did a 180-mile round trip last weekend, but needed a top-up to get me home. 20 minutes on a rapid charger over lunch was all it took. This is no great problem, but needs planning.
2. It claims to charge off CCS at 50kW (or more?) but the best I've seen so far has been 34kW in reality, probably because its been rather cool.
3. The '2' has no build in Sat Nav, nor the Uvo app remote control stuff. For navigation, I have several options using Android Auto on my phone (google maps, Sygic, Waze, and hopefully soon TomTom), so this is not really a big issue.
4. it keeps loosing the ability to download contacts off my phone (Samsung S7, android 8.0). I don't know if this an S7 problem only, or a 2 problem only, or what.
5. Limited phone charging options for rear passengers - only a single USB outlet in the centre console storage box, and the rear passengers can't directly access that.
6. Only one rear passenger gets the luxury of a storage net on the back of the front seats (WHY WHY WHY Kia?)
7. Rear ventilation is nothing like as good as on my old C4 (where each passenger had their own fan control and vent).
8. No spare wheel. I had a puncture in my first week of owning it, and could really have done with a spare!
9. Really irritating jingles and warning beeps when turning it on.

Feel free to ask my anything else about it. Most users on this forum seem to have the higher-spec models, so won't know about any quirks that only affect the 2.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2021 '2' 39kWh - had it for around 6 weeks now. I got mine on a Salary Sacrifice lease, and the leasing company had one in their stock so it only took a few weeks to get it.

What do I like about it?
1. Very nice to drive - compared to my previous 7-seater tank (2015 Citroen Grand C4).
2. Its QUICK! Not Tesla-fast of course, but nevertheless quick for a family hatchback.
3. Quiet (but so are all EVs)
4. It's got all the driver aids that I would reasonably want. The Smart Cruise Control works very well (this is my first car to have this).
5. Near-instant heat from the heater when cold (along with all EVs).
6. It has real buttons for everything! My Citroen required use of the touchscreen for almost everything - even changing the heater.

Annoyances:
1. Maybe I should have spent slightly more (and waited) to get the bigger battery. I did a 180-mile round trip last weekend, but needed a top-up to get me home. 20 minutes on a rapid charger over lunch was all it took. This is no great problem, but needs planning.
2. It claims to charge off CCS at 50kW (or more?) but the best I've seen so far has been 34kW in reality, probably because its been rather cool.
3. The '2' has no build in Sat Nav, nor the Uvo app remote control stuff. For navigation, I have several options using Android Auto on my phone (google maps, Sygic, Waze, and hopefully soon TomTom), so this is not really a big issue.
4. it keeps loosing the ability to download contacts off my phone (Samsung S7, android 8.0). I don't know if this an S7 problem only, or a 2 problem only, or what.
5. Limited phone charging options for rear passengers - only a single USB outlet in the centre console storage box, and the rear passengers can't directly access that.
6. Only one rear passenger gets the luxury of a storage net on the back of the front seats (WHY WHY WHY Kia?)
7. Rear ventilation is nothing like as good as on my old C4 (where each passenger had their own fan control and vent).
8. No spare wheel. I had a puncture in my first week of owning it, and could really have done with a spare!
9. Really irritating jingles and warning beeps when turning it on.

Feel free to ask my anything else about it. Most users on this forum seem to have the higher-spec models, so won't know about any quirks that only affect the 2.

Hope this helps.
No built in sat-nav or UVO ? I'm surprised at that.. not that I would use it much. I've survived 40-odd years without one..
Though you say not built in, are they something that could be retrofitted - it does already have a screen..

·
Registered
27 Posts
No built in sat-nav or UVO ? I'm surprised at that.. not that I would use it much. I've survived 40-odd years without one..
Though you say not built in, are they something that could be retrofitted - it does already have a screen..
I don't think the hardware is there to support UVO in the '2' - no GSM modem probably,

I think it DOES actually have a GPS receiver, because it has the option to use GPS as a clock source. I don't know if the 2 head unit has the required memory to load the sat-nav software though, but it's certainly not there. There are also some hardware buttons missing for switching into Sat Nav mode, so its not just a software thing.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
196 Posts
From what you hear from many motorists whose cars have inbuilt SatNavs a stand alone TomTom is superior, my Mercedes certainly had some odd route choices! Not been far enough to test the SatNav on my E-Niro4 yet

·
Registered
27 Posts
From what you hear from many motorists whose cars have inbuilt SatNavs a stand alone TomTom is superior, my Mercedes certainly had some odd route choices! Not been far enough to test the SatNav on my E-Niro4 yet
I understand though that the e-Niro's (3/4/4+) built-in satnav functionality includes showing the remaining range as a circle on the map, and will automatically warning if range is too low. It also has a quick and easy way to find the nearest charging point. This kind of tight integration with the EV's battery state is missing from any mobile-phone SatNav.

But yes - TomTom is probably better, and much easier to keep up to date.

Sygic (which has Android Auto support) does have some EV functions in that it can find charging points close to your route and add them as waypoints - but it knows nothing about your SoC.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have a 3 and TomTom is built into the SatNav. Same on my Ioniq.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I'm in a similar boat.. had my eye on a 3 until the grant changes. Decided to put it off now until later in the year. Will decide then if it's gonna be the 2 long range or the 3..
Keep an eye on the Cheap Deals thread and you will see when the 3 or 4 comes down in price on a lease, people are really good at sharing deals. The current lease price for the 3 is nearly £200 more than I paid.

·
Registered
360 Posts
@martin57 Ioniq 38kwh owner here.your charging experience may be due to the cooler weather but could also be due to the state of charge when you start the charge. I usually charge less than 20% much more than that you don't have time to warm the battery to get best percentage.
My charging usually starts mid twenties and climbs as the battery gets warmer. At its peak it is about 42-43kw up to 54%, 38ish until 74%, 22% until about 84%, 14kw after that.
I am not sure if the 39kwh e-niro will have a similar charge curve. Leaving the charger at 74% rather than 80% may be more beneficial time wise, unless that little extra will get you home without an extra charge. I have charged 14-74% in 45 minutes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your replies guys.

I have ordered the 64kwh version of the 2 trim as range is really important to me. I am getting an interest free loan from the Scottish government so I was kind of restricted to the 2 trim as they don't offer the loan on cars that don't get the plug in grant.

Shame about the rear seats usb and no sat nav. I suppose... I will just use android auto and waze with my unlimited data.

Another question I want to put out there, how practical is it to charge off the public network? I live in a flat and where I live, I have around 3 rapid chargers within a 5 mile radius. I am hoping to do a 50 min charge at one of these rapid chargers like once a week. Does that sound sensible?

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
870 Posts
Of course it depends how many miles each week you intend to do. You don’t want to go anywhere near empty SOC, obviously. Also on any rapid charger, the charge rate will slow down a real lot as you approach or go above 80% SOC. So if you need 100% SOC, plan on double that time at very least. Even more so in winter as rapid charging slows down even more when battery is cold. Peter

·
Registered
589 Posts

I have ordered the 64kwh version of the 2 trim as range is really important to me. I am getting an interest free loan from the Scottish government so I was kind of restricted to the 2 trim as they don't offer the loan on cars that don't get the plug in grant.

Shame about the rear seats usb and no sat nav. I suppose... I will just use android auto and waze with my unlimited data.

Another question I want to put out there, how practical is it to charge off the public network? I live in a flat and where I live, I have around 3 rapid chargers within a 5 mile radius. I am hoping to do a 50 min charge at one of these rapid chargers like once a week. Does that sound sensible?
Yep. I've done 15k miles in an Ioniq without a home charger and it has a smaller battery . How many miles do you drive per week?

·
Registered
8 Posts

Have a 64kwh 4+, i don't have a charger at home. Not exactly the same, i have a charging point at work which is free to use. I plug in once a week and that lasts. If you're planning on going to 100% i doubt 50 minutes will be enough on a rapid .

·
Registered
874 Posts
Find a supermarket with a 7kw in walking distance, preferably one without a time limit and charge there x a lot cheaper and you won’t have to wait around...... Tesco, Asda are favourites.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks folks. I was checking the zapmap last night and reading comments on charging places left by people and I am starting to see quite a few complaints about people hogging the bays and that worries me. I live in Edinburgh near Meadowbank area.

My workplace has charging available but we are still wfh so not sure how much I can rely on that. There is a 22kwh charger in a community car park that is a 5 min walk from my place but it will take over 10 hours to get a full charge there. Is it okay to leave the car there for that long? Is there any unwritten rules about charging that I should be aware of? Do you only charge for a few hours and free up the space for someone else or do you leave it for as long as it needs to fully charge etc?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah the Mrs and I debated back and forth about which one to get, the 2, 3 or 4+. In the end it just made so much more financial sense to get the 2. It was like a 3-4k difference between the 2 and the 3 and to get the 4, it was an extra 6.5k.
It didn't make sense to get the 3 at all for that price and 4+ was downright unaffordable.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts